Was your flasher worth purchasing ??

jdmls

Thanks woodsman! Does it pick up your jig?

Yes without any problem in over 100'.

If you go on ebay there are a bunch of iceducers for sale. Check the KHZ of your current model and if you have a spare transducer plug the you can rewire it to an iceducer.

No need to go through all that crap for an iceducer.

The Humminbird XI-9-20 iceducer is a direct fit for the Piranha Max 160 or 170.

But if saving money is the objective my mode is far cheaper than the $100 an iceducer would cost & performs the same.

I have a XI-9-20 iceducer & have noticed no difference in performance.

You can buy a 170 with summer transducer for the cost of just the iceducer.

Edited by Woodsman

I think what the OP wants is our opinions on FLASHERS...not sonars in general.

Here's my input:

I went with a Humminbird 345c a few years ago and couldn't be happier. I had the option of getting a flasher, but it just wasn't for me.

The constant buzz and the flashing lights of a flasher just isn't what I'd like when out there on the ice.

My unit has the option of using a flasher display, but I never use it. I always stick to the graph.

I love how it records and shows a brief history of what happened, whereas flashers won't do that for you.

You can be jigging away, and there's nothing on the screen. You turn around and talk to a buddy for a couple secs to see how he's doing. Turn back to your hole and you realize a fish just came up to your lure and went back down. Now you can drop it and try to entice it again.

A flasher won't show you what happened. At least I don't think they can.

Visually, I enjoy the graph a lot more as you can see those lines come up and smash your lure! :D

I'd say let your friend try both and see what he likes.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe the Ice Ducers are the same as the one you would mount on your boat but comes with a feature that allows it to float in a level position.

Yup, no difference except for the design of the transducer itself.. I used a stsandard transducer on my 747c for a season but it was a pain in the ass. The ice transducer is so much easier.. Just drop it in the hole and go.. If you spend a lot of time on the ice, this is the way to go for sure.

Also, flashers are great on the ice, but if this guy is a all season fisherman, get a graph.. A lot more versatile.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe the Ice Ducers are the same as the one you would mount on your boat but comes with a feature that allows it to float in a level position.

Not usually Bill. THe ice ducers are often flat bottomed bells.

Anyways, my buddy StevieZ actually bought me an X67 as a thank you gift for taking him into Kesagami several times to ice some pike and eyes.

It never came out of the box up north. Water never deep enough. Down here I would fish some things without one, but most times it's a total advantage.

The X67 "for free" has served well. :thumbsup_anim:

Right now I need a new adapter for charging the 12V. :blush:

Dug out all the ice stuff a couple days ago. Bring it!!!

I'm a flasher addict, through and through...Humminbird ICE45. No graphs/sonars for me... gotta be a flasher. Guys could argue about flasher vs graph until spring, but the bottom line is they all work and your preference will be whatever you used first and got used to. As long as you've got something electronics wise on the ice, you're going to improve your ice fishing.

As Moosebunk mentioned they are a different shape & generally lack the temperature sensor built into the open water transducer.

This can cause some problems on some units which look for the temperature sensor to determine if a transducer is hooked up. On start up the unit will read "No transducer found". This can be manually overrode.

As Moosebunk mentioned they are a different shape & generally lack the temperature sensor built into the open water transducer.

This can cause some problems on some units which look for the temperature sensor to determine if a transducer is hooked up. On start up the unit will read "No transducer found". This can be manually overrode.

Yup, I remember I was greeted with a nice 'Transducer not found screen' when I started up my graph the first time.. PITA!!!!! lol!!!

Actually I had no problem finding fish last year on Simcoe.

The problem was finding good ice. With the limited freeze what was fishable was awful crowded.

I wasn't in the mood to get greased out on Kempenfelt Bay last year, so I did most of my ice fishing north of Barrie :)

Lakers were good, whitefish were few and far between, even in the spring when everyone thought it was going to be a slay in the boats it was for the most part crap.

Let's hope we get some decent ice this year.

I don't understand why you think you need 2400 , when I can see a 1/8 oz jig down 120ft with 800 w

I think having a good receiver is better then high power

and I did think it was worth it, no

I found a graph gives me more info and I like seeing history too, so I don't use my flasher much anymore

I don't understand why you think you need 2400 , when I can see a 1/8 oz jig down 120ft with 800 w

I think having a good receiver is better then high power

and I did think it was worth it, no

I found a graph gives me more info and I like seeing history too, so I don't use my flasher much anymore

Graph wattage vs flasher wattage... The output wattage is not scaled the same..... I'll say it again .... This post is geared towards flasher users.. I am not asking for any kind of input from the graph guys...

Graph wattage vs flasher wattage... The output wattage is not scaled the same..... I'll say it again .... This post is geared towards flasher users.. I am not asking for any kind of input from the graph guys...

well

i have a flasher and I gave you my opinion do you only want replies that are positive and think they ware worth it??????

so say what you want, but make it clear enough for people to understand, so they will not waste their time posting

Graph wattage vs flasher wattage... The output wattage is not scaled the same..... I'll say it again .... This post is geared towards flasher users..

I,m not taking Terry,s side here,but what he has posted is FACT. I have fished with him enough to know, what he,s talking about,and uses,it,s always been primo. I have also been present with both the flasher and graphs he has owned. ALSO FISHED WITH GUYS, THAT ARE FLASHER GURUS.

I like both. Both have their purpose.

I am not asking for any kind of input from the graph guys...

How RUDE. :unsure:

Years back I was going to buy a flasher but jos at angling outfitters talked me out of it. I bought my Lawrence 522c it is way better IMO as you have real time on the right side and can see what has come up to the left side incase you were looking away.

One thing I learned and love was finding walleye 6' off bottom I would have never caught them if I had not had my sonar.

You can also use it as a flasher

I had an indash flasher on my nitro bass boat at one time LCD units were too slow to mark bottom at high speed and didn't show real time info, so a flasher was used, by the time I met you(brian) LCD fishfinders had come of age and the flasher was not needed on the boat

Edited by Terry