Rewards points used for fishing gear

Rod Caster

Just wondering what other people are doing to collect reward points and turn them into fishing gear.

I sometimes travel and stay in hotels for work and I found that the Wyndham program is the best for gift certificates. Basically 7 stays, plus promotional items and I got a $100 Canadian Tire gift certificate! Not a bad deal considering I also get my Air Miles points through my AMEX.

Air Miles is the worst for gift certificates/cash. 95 points gets you $10 cash... but it would take over $1500 in gas to get that 95!! Air miles only good for travel.

Aeroplan is ok for Gift Certificates as well. I got a $100 to Home Hardware (which sells fishing gear in NBay) after a few flights and car rentals.

This $100 CTire gift card is probably going towards a winter jacket. thumbsup_anim.gif FREEEEE

MBNA Mastercard...no annual fee, 5% cash back on gas and groceries for the first 6 months. 2% back thereafter and 1% back on everything else.

In the first three months I easily earned $100 for essentially doing nothing.

Only catch is 5% cash back is limited to $400 of spending per month.

Edited by ADB

I guess so in a bit of a way...

I mow the lawn to make the wife happy. Then I use the brownie points I scored to go fishing!

Does that count?

Absolutely biggrin.gif It's comparable to me cleaning the microwave yesterday...I don't really care if it's clean or not.

MBNA Mastercard...no annual fee, 5% cash back on gas and groceries for the first 6 months. 2% back thereafter and 1% back on everything else.

In the first three months I easily earned $100 for essentially doing nothing.

Only catch is 5% cash back is limited to $400 of spending per month.

X2 on the MBNA mastercard. I've had it for over a year now, and with buying a house and all the expenses that go with it, plus all the gas needed to tow the boat around, I've easily got back $500+ since (my G/F also has the card too). You don't have to "redeem" your points so to speak, as soon as you hit the $50 threshold worth of points, a cheque is sent to your house. Its fantastic.

I have petro points, esso extra and aeroplan in my work truck. I put in approx $120 every day and a half(not my $$$...company gas card). I use my petro points for gas cards for my oldest son(university student), esso extra points for cases of water and havent checked my aeroplan miles yet. lol

Edited by ckrb2007

I never redeem Air Miles or Aeroplan for gift cards. Both have far more value when used for travel, so I'll use them to cover my hotel costs and/or flights on trips to fishing destinations. It makes a trip west for sea-run steelhead, or a drive down to Tennessee for smallmouth and muskie in February much, much easier on the wallet.

I never redeem Air Miles or Aeroplan for gift cards. Both have far more value when used for travel, so I'll use them to cover my hotel costs and/or flights on trips to fishing destinations. It makes a trip west for sea-run steelhead, or a drive down to Tennessee for smallmouth and muskie in February much, much easier on the wallet.

Good point good.gif My air miles are going to be used to take Wifey and me to Nova Scotia to visit family and maybe try some east coast fishing.

The Air Miles program is especially a rip off for gift cards/cash.

I don't know if I would say Air Miles is a rip off when you redeem on gift cards, but there's no doubt you get much better value when you redeem against travel expenses. That's what Air Miles and Aeroplan specialize in. So instead of gift cards, I use those points for travel.

I think most of us spend a few nights in hotels each year while out fishing. It doesn't have to be a big trip to some exotic location, it can just be a weekend at Quinte. There's a Best Western everywhere. So why not use points instead of cash?

Fact is, I LOVE my Air Miles card. And, I have the gold Air Miles Mastercard to go with it, so I can double-dip. Just on gas, groceries and booze that I'm going to buy anyway, I get a couple of free hotel stays every year. How do you beat that?

I have been collecting Aeroplan for quite some time now, I should see how many points I have.

But I do buy a spool of line every spring with the Canadian Tire $ I have accumulated for a year lol

Whoa! how many can i get for this much ...... lol , Never thought of spending it for fishing gear before , hec of a good idea tho .

With you boys and girls north of the U.S.A. boarder I really don't know if you qualify for these rewards...but if so...they are the BEST in their own class...

Hunting/Fishing Gear...CABELA'S Credit Card....

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=clubhome&WTz_l=Footer

For Air Miles...SOUTHWEST Credit Card...FREE 50,000 points...enough for 2 tickets to VEGAS and back...the wife and I got our own card through this SPECIAL TIME LIMITED offer....so 2 FREE trips... :thumbsup_anim:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/2ffhero?int=HOMEHEROCHASE2121205

And finally a CASH back reward card that pays you 3% on Gas purchases, 2% on Grocery Purchased and 1% on all other purchases..

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/overview.go

IT DON'T GET BETTER then those 3 IMHO...

I have petro points, esso extra and aeroplan in my work truck. I put in approx $120 every day and a half(not my $$...company gas card). I use my petro points for gas cards for my oldest son(university student), esso extra points for cases of water and havent checked my aeroplan miles yet. lol

I'm in the same boat with the company gas card, except I usually go to shell...don't know why, I just do. Free gas is nice enough...points are just a bonus!

I have been collecting Aeroplan for quite some time now, I should see how many points I have.

But I do buy a spool of line every spring with the Canadian Tire $ I have accumulated for a year lol

something like 20 000 points will get you $100 at CT!

Whoa! how many can i get for this much ...... lol , Never thought of spending it for fishing gear before , hec of a good idea tho .

That's a nice wad of cash thumbsup_anim.gif I see tipups and winter boots in your futurewhistling.gif

For those that collect Air Miles and shop online use:

www.airmileshops.ca

Its an affiliate website login and shop at Cabelas, Bass Pro, LL Bean and Sierra Trading Post to name a few and you earn airmiles om your purchases/

I also have Bass Pro's loyalty card - you earn cash back on each purchase

I don't spend a lot on fishing gear- and I already earned a free $10 in about 6 months

I use the CT gas multiplier coupons from in store. I top up every morning,always 30 litres or more. On a 6x=60 cents min,for a 10x=$1.00 max. every day depending on weekly multiplier amount. Usually $3bucks to $5bucks per week. Doesn't take long to add up. This buys my line,lures,swivels,artificial bait and more for the year.

Today new tip up,all on CT money!!!!!:clapping:We all need to buy gas anyway,the rewards are a bonus!!!

That pretty cool we have a grocery store called Giant that if you spend $100.00 it gets you 10 cents per gallon. This is good for up to 36 gallons of gas. A four hundred dollar grocery spree gets us $14.40 off at the pump which is easy to do with the truck and boat.

Art

That pretty cool we have a grocery store called Giant that if you spend $100.00 it gets you 10 cents per gallon. This is good for up to 36 gallons of gas. A four hundred dollar grocery spree gets us $14.40 off at the pump which is easy to do with the truck and boat.

Art

We have the same thing with "Tops" grocery store...they either own Giant or did own them...only problem is if your timing is off when you need gas you can't cash in on the full amount because it's a one time purchase using your points per their redemption period...about every 6 weeks but not sure..

http://www.topsmarkets.com/Savings/Gas_Savings/_SS_4A6T9RE20E01d78P7ec16391xOkN6L5368A6CF%7C32224%7C1212080910%7C%7C%7C#