3"

Rod Caster

Nearly a couple weeks of negative Celsius temperatures and a final stretch of -10 to -20 have graced some of the smaller lakes with a skim of ice. Today we tested the ice (very cautiously with lots safety equipment) near shore and found 3" of not fully black, but nearly fully black ice. We set up a couple lines ice shallow water and had a good, but cold morning. It sure took the edge offcanadian.gif.

Unfortunately things will melt this week, so today was more of a teaser than a signal of the start of ice fishing season for us.

Had one splake take a swig at my worm, but didn't catch anything

IMG-20121201-01149.jpg

IMG-20121201-01151.jpg

Right on Chad!

To bad you didn't get anything for the table.

I went for a walk on Orr Lake today, out about 50 feet. A good few inches there, but only in the shallow water (less then 2'). The rest is wide open.

Nothing like pissing off the Simcoe anglers.LOL

Good to see yer out already,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You can keep it.LOL

Haha, I hope you guys get a brutally cold winter...it might just convince me to come fish in your little pond.

Right on Chad!

To bad you didn't get anything for the table.

I went for a walk on Orr Lake today, out about 50 feet. A good few inches there, but only in the shallow water (less then 2'). The rest is wide open.

Cool! I bet your itching to get out eh whistling.gif I'd like to take you out on Nipissing in the later part of the season this year and really get into some good perch and walleye! Maybe get a mini g2g of sorts.

If the ice doesn't completely leave after this weeks short melt, we might actually be able to jump back on by the weekend of the 8, 9th...although I don't think we'll be so fortunate.

Nearly a couple weeks of negative Celsius temperatures and a final stretch of -10 to -20 have graced some of the smaller lakes with a skim of ice. Today we tested the ice (very cautiously with lots safety equipment) near shore and found 3" of not fully black, but nearly fully black ice. We set up a couple lines ice shallow water and had a good, but cold morning. It sure took the edge off

Your killing me.. I almost made the drive out today for some splake.. I figured there would be about the same amount of ice on the lake I wanted to fish but didnt chance the 2-1/2 hour drive to check.

I wish this warm weather coming in would disappear.

Nice to see someone got out though.

Without NF in the title... thought you had frozen your "blank".... and had 3" left.... ah never mind :lol:

Looks like you guys had fun :thumbsup_anim: and too bad about the swig at your worm eh :whistling: Oh god :o that doesn't sound good :lol:

Green with envy here but a little too thin for my likings :w00t: Good on you for getting out on the hard stuff this early in the season :thumbsup_anim:B)

I'm waiting anxiously for Dec 20th and ain't venturing out til then.... Whispering... Specks, specks baby B):thumbsup_anim: (similar to song Vanilla Ice... ice, ice baby :P:lol: )

Without NF in the title... thought you had frozen your "blank".... and had 3" left.... ah never mind :lol:

B)

I'm waiting anxiously for Dec 20th and ain't venturing out til then.... Whispering... Specks, specks baby B):thumbsup_anim: (similar to song Vanilla Ice... ice, ice baby :P:lol: )

Bhahaharofl2.gif

Ya man! I can't wait to see some of your reports....AND, I can't wait to catch some specks/splake of my own!

I'd like to take you out on Nipissing in the later part of the season this year and really get into some good perch and walleye! Maybe get a mini g2g of sorts.

Absolutely! I was actually going to PM you and see if you wanted to set something up for this winter :thumbsup_anim:

How is the ice looking now? Did you guys get hit with the warming temps up there?

Rained yesterday, +4 today and +8 tomorrow.

I actually went back to the same spot yesterday and the ice had not changed much, even after the rain we had...but I certainly didn't wander around looking for trouble.

I'm gonna guess that as long as we get some good freezing temps after this warm spell and we don't get too much snow, that the small lakes will keep some of their current ice and actually lock up nicely. Of course my fingers are crossed!