cabelas guidewear info

bow slayer

yeah or nah,....i am looking at ordering a new rain suit and cabelas has theirs on for 50 percent off. Has anyone have any feedback on these suits,good or bad? Also there is insulated and uninsulated,i would like to wear it spring ,summer and fall, it says 150 gram thinsulate,i am thinking a little too warm for spring and summer? Probably better going non insulated and layering underneath as the conditions dictate? Any feedback will be welcomed ,thanks in advance

Just picked up a set on sale myself.....non-insulated ones that is. I have yet to put them to the test but I can tell they are quality... don't see me wearing them in July though as I think it would be too warm. As for sizing.....I'm 5'10" 170lbs and I ordered medium bibs and a medium Parka (little longer than the jacket) and they fit perfectly with a little extra room for layering. Here is a good review of all the guidewear options I found when I was ordering mine. Many different options and easy to get confused and order the wrong one.

Cabelas Guidewear review

HIH

Edited by merkinbrumsky

If Cabela's puts it's name on it....you can count on it being GOOD...they really stand behind their products.... :)

They r awesome. Go for it and get the non insulated ones.

I have the large set and I am 5'8" and 200 lbs.

the XML was realllllly big for an XML IMO.

Landry

There's one thing I really hate about the Cabelas Guidewear.

The zipper is covered with a flap that's held down with velcro. This will wear down over time, I know from experience. It will also curl back and get mishapen when washed over time.

I much prefer a suit with a waterproof zipper and no flap. There's plenty like that on the market (BPS 100MPH, Simms, Fabril). If there has to be a flap covering the zipper brass snaps are 1000 better than velcro.

It's a cheap design that will wear out and if I'm shelling out good coin there's no way I'd buy another Cabelas suit for this reason alone.

Bowslayer,

I purchased the Cabela's Guidewear jacket and bib non-insulated last fall as well during their big blow out sale. I'm 5'11/6'0 188lbs and the size large in both the jacket and bib fits well.

I think they have changed the design a little bit so my review is based on the set I have.

I use the jacket from fall all the way through to early spring. In the winter, I layer up according to conditions and have remained toasty. There are many features that I especially like but these are my top 3:

1) The cuffs have a sleeve that fits snug to your wrist. This reduces the wind chill that run up your arms.

2) The zipper pockets are water proof lined to ensure your belongings stay dry. The larger deep pockets have double Velcro.

3) The stitching all around the jacket is of amazing quality - it would take an unfortunate accident to tear this jacket apart.

The bibs I only use in the fall for pier chucking for those windy and chilly nights. I did wear both the jacket and bib together once this fall during a heavy rain for 2 hours and I stayed bone dry! The other anglers went back to their cars to wait for the rain to pass! LOL.

I'm willing to bet that if you bought the jacket and bib, you will not be disappointed.

Best,

Sawyer

They r awesome. Go for it and get the non insulated ones.

I have the large set and I am 5'8" and 200 lbs.

the XML was realllllly big for an XML IMO.

Landry

Hey Landry,

i take it you ordered the XL and had to return it for the large?? what was the policy like for that? i am worried i may have ordered one size too big as well. im a xxl in most things but xl in certain stuff. i went with the xxl.

anybody else feel that there sizes are bigger than normal?

I have issues with cabelas sizing...I'm an XL but with cabelas I'm 2XL in the bibs(for length) and L in the jacket...IMO the bib pants are way to short on the inseam...aside from that it's good stuff

if you order online it's easy to ship back for return or exchange, it only costs you the shipping deducted from your return, that's it and you have 90 days

I returned some cheapo snow camo because it was poor quality, after about a month and a half of use and just had enough of it one day, no questions asked...but be careful of return/exchange policy on clearance items

you definitely want uninsulated if you want multi-season use, layer up if needed

Hey Landry,

i take it you ordered the XL and had to return it for the large?? what was the policy like for that? i am worried i may have ordered one size too big as well. im a xxl in most things but xl in certain stuff. i went with the xxl.

anybody else feel that there sizes are bigger than normal?

I exchanged with no issues but act fast as these suits clear out fast and i almost couldn't get a replacement - had to change colour.

I got in on that blowout sale last fall on the guidewear and used it for the season . I purchased the uninsulated parka and bibs and they kept me

dry through many a storm this year . There was a problem with my parka that I discovered last month and that was the liner/threading was coming apart

so I contacted cabelas and sent it back . I will say this ,cabelas has some of the best customer service I have delt with and they fully refunded my

credit card for the parka. I waited for another sale (cyber monday) to purchase another one and I spent the extra 20 bucks and got the "special edition force" parka and couldn't be happier , well worth the extra 20 bucks. As Mike (Solo) had said previous there is way to much velcro on these jackets but on this new one there is just enough ! It also seems to be a better quality jacket then the last one with a few extra features !

I would fully recommend the guidewear especially at this price and even though I did have a quality issue i'm sure it's not the norm.

I have the bibs, they are great. I've had them for 4 years, no problems at all. Regarding the customer service, last year I bought a Browning hunting parka from them in 2X. Since then I lost 50 lbs, and since both my wife and I are committed to staying in shape I called Cabelas to see if they would accept a return. They gave me all but $20.00 back in the form of a gift coupon, which I thought was more than fair, as I had the parka for 11 months. Then I turned around and bought their Elite Fleece parka on sale at 1/3 price, and it is the best insulated hunting parka I've ever owned. I can't see how they could improve much on their customer service. If you buy their stuff at sale prices you can't go wrong.

There's one thing I really hate about the Cabelas Guidewear.

The zipper is covered with a flap that's held down with velcro. This will wear down over time, I know from experience. It will also curl back and get mishapen when washed over time.

I much prefer a suit with a waterproof zipper and no flap. There's plenty like that on the market (BPS 100MPH, Simms, Fabril). If there has to be a flap covering the zipper brass snaps are 1000 better than velcro.

It's a cheap design that will wear out and if I'm shelling out good coin there's no way I'd buy another Cabelas suit for this reason alone.

Wow Mike. How many rain storms does it take to wear our a chunk of velcro?

• 1 month later...