Portable fishfinders

Locnar

I don't know anything about the fishing buddy and haven't heard of anyone who has one

I'm happy with my Humminbird 565 portable, for the extra money, it may be worth it and could potentially last you for many years

with the fishin buddy, you may be looking for an upgrade after a year or two

I have a Humminbird PiranhaMax 160 Portable.

http://ca.humminbird.com/products/356812/PiranhaMAX_160_Portable

I used it last year in Temagami and it was great. All you need is depth and structure and experience with the unit. After a while you get to recognize sandy bottom, big trees, weed lines etc. The only thing that is a bit of a pain is removing the transducer (easiest to pop the seal with a knife blade in my experience) before moving.

I also used the adjustable transducer to do rudimentary side scan. You can aim it at the shore and gauge distance and probably pick up any items in the water between you and the shore. May not be accurate fish fish but I tested it in a bay I am familiar with and certainly was able to see a large rock formation that comes up near the top of the water column.

I would recommend getting something with at least dual beam (the cheaper PiranhaMax is single beam, which is useless for objects in the water) and a I'd go for something without AA batteries.

I have a 120 Fishing Buddy but now use a 160 Piranha Max. If portability is your primary concern, then the Fishing Buddy is a pretty decent finder. The side scan feature is pretty interesting as well but keep in mind it doesn't tell you the depth, just that they're in front of the beam. I wouldn't recommend these portables for shallow water use however. The scan cone is pretty tight so if you're in shallow water, you're not really looking at very much area so you may not be marking much. Deeper water would be better.

Also wouldn't use this on a boat that's going at any decent speed otherwise it'll either rip the mount (not super likely) or wobble like a dashboard bobble head on a washboard road.

I can see using mine (if I keep it) on interior canoe trips if for some reason I feel like I need help looking for features or finding fish. If you have spare AA batteries, you can go for some time before it becomes dead weight.

The 160 Piranha Max is a much better unit if you'll be using it in a tinny or larger. Only thing I plan to do is make a bracket to secure the transducer that'll get clamped to the transom. Not really liking the suction cup attachment.

X2 don't own one myself but used one on our fishing trip this year and was very impressed

I think by the end of the week I was more confident in the finder than I am our much more expensive Lowrance 565 - although in fairness that may be a user issue :)

My brother swears by the Hummingbird Piranahmax 160 fishfinder. It's pretty basic, but does absolutely everything you need. Plus, he has figured out a way to use it ice fishing as well!

you can always make almost any unit portable (somewhat). Yes; that's a battery from an Acura in the crate so I don't worry at all over a weekend.

portableff1.jpg

portableff2.jpg

portableff3.jpg

In the winter take the trasnducer off the stick and use a swimming noodle in it's place with tape and zip ties to keep it facing down.