Hunting carelessness leads to tragedy

HTHM

i've been atving on the reserve for a few years now and know a few people out there, including the people that live beside the field where this happened.

none of the hunting rules that apply to us apply to the reserve. therefore, the victim was legally bowhunting on sunday even though archery was closed in the area until monday, the day after the controlled hunt ended. he was not wearing orange because it's not required on the reserve during our controlled hunt. on the reserve, natives are allowed to hunt with whatever firearm they choose, whenever they want, for whatever they want. all of the natives i've spoken to claim that's it's 100% legal to hunt from roads on the reserve and i have no reason to think otherwise. they're also allowed to use spotlights and rifles aka "jacking" at night for deer.

ZERO excuses for this happening regardless of what you're local rules say.

I cant even comprehend how you make that mistake in a wide open field. I watched 4 does at the same distance today at 8:10 am and I am almost blind in one eye and there is no problem??????? what the hell

he was using a scoped rifle and the general consensus on the reserve (after talking to 5 or 6 natives yesterday) is that this was not an accident as people are fully aware of the shooters issues...

i've been atving on the reserve for a few years now and know a few people out there, including the people that live beside the field where this happened.

none of the hunting rules that apply to us apply to the reserve. therefore, the victim was legally bowhunting on sunday even though archery was closed in the area until monday, the day after the controlled hunt ended. he was not wearing orange because it's not required on the reserve during our controlled hunt. on the reserve, natives are allowed to hunt with whatever firearm they choose, whenever they want, for whatever they want. all of the natives i've spoken to claim that's it's 100% legal to hunt from roads on the reserve and i have no reason to think otherwise. they're also allowed to use spotlights and rifles aka "jacking" at night for deer.

ZERO excuses for this happening regardless of what you're local rules say.

Correct, but Kosid would have been governed by MNR regs, as I don't believe he was from six nations.

Correct, but Kosid would have been governed by MNR regs, as I don't believe he was from six nations.

I don't know if that would be the case. My understanding is that MNR regs do not apply to a reserve. They are considered to be a separate jurisdictional territory as I understand it. It is an interesting question though...

Kind of ironic that the native was using a bow while the non native used a rifle. I'm ok with trditional hunting rights as longf as traditional methods are used. I really don't think it was intentional. Did the bowhunter have a set of rattling antlers?. Was the scope a cheapie or was drinking involved??? Let's hope the truth comes out so it doesn't happen again.....

Kind of ironic that the native was using a bow while the non native used a rifle. I'm ok with trditional hunting rights as longf as traditional methods are used. I really don't think it was intentional. Did the bowhunter have a set of rattling antlers?. Was the scope a cheapie or was drinking involved??? Let's hope the truth comes out so it doesn't happen again.....

You have it backwards. The native was using the rifle, non native the bow.

S.

You have it backwards. The native was using the rifle, non native the bow.

S.

Correct S.

Has little to do with First Nations/ Hunting Safety in my opinion only

Stan

A well-documented mental -health patient with a proven proclivity for violence

Who Knew --a maniac with a rifle had a break with reality again?

Look after one another

Peace

Paul

like i said, "our" rules do not apply as soon as you cross onto six nations land. but, seeing as non natives aren't suppose to live on the reserve, i'm not sure if a non native is even permitted to hunt there or not. i'll have to get back to you on that one as i'd love to hunt out there. :canadian:

like i said, "our" rules do not apply as soon as you cross onto six nations land. but, seeing as non natives aren't suppose to live on the reserve, i'm not sure if a non native is even permitted to hunt there or not. i'll have to get back to you on that one as i'd love to hunt out there. :canadian:

You would still hunt there after this??? Keep your head down!!

The hunter that was shot did have permission to hunt that area from the land owner. I have never had any issues on the reserve,have never felt that my life was in danger. Hunting accidents happen every year. Regardless of were it happens it is a terrible tragedy.

You would still hunt there after this??? Keep your head down!!

if you saw as many yotes, turkey, and deer as i have out there in the last couple years you'd wanna hunt there too. the shooter in this incident shouldn't have had a firearm in the first place and this could have easily happened anywhere. the natives i know can't remember the last time someone was shot while hunting out there.

i really need to look into hunting on the reserve. would a non native follow the normal MNR regulations?

if you saw as many yotes, turkey, and deer as i have out there in the last couple years you'd wanna hunt there too. the shooter in this incident shouldn't have had a firearm in the first place and this could have easily happened anywhere. the natives i know can't remember the last time someone was shot while hunting out there.

i really need to look into hunting on the reserve. would a non native follow the normal MNR regulations?

From what I read and told,YES