ATV's

Jds63

I can’t justify buying a sled with such a limited season, but an ATV has more usability. I have a question for the ATV owners out there that use them for getting out on the hardwater.

Using an ATV for ice fishing especially when hauling plenty of gear I assume has its challenges in snow. If the lake has packed down snow trails it probably would be ok with factory tires but what size ATV tires are best to help with traction in snow?

I know there has been some discussions here on ATV’s but I am thinking solid axle would probably be better if you intend to haul and load down the ATV. I would be using it yearound primarily for hauling gear/equipment/wood .. etc

Edited by jds63

Hi Julian

It really depends on where the Lakes are you want to IceFish.

Simcoe is one thing and Temagami another. Back Lakes or near well used access points?

Simcoe is unique as it has many many travel conditions.

Glare Ice, 2-6" new snow on Glare Ice, Drifts, Deep Snow,Slush,Cracks,Shore Conditions,travel to Lake from Parking,etc etc.

Ideally you need a Sled and a ATV.

However for one or the other for me its the ATV.

I can get out in most conditions, in some conditions its much better than the Sled.

I can plow my driveway and I can use it in the summer.

As for chains for deep snow. When I first got the Bike I thought I needed chains. However I quickly learned, for going thru deep snow, I did not like them. All they did was dig ya down deeper!

I changed them out, and put on some fairly aggressive Mud tires, not the huge lugs! This works the best in deep snow and you can still put the chains on for the glare ice conditions.

What Bike are ya looking at?

Rick

I can't justify buying a sled with such a limited season, but an ATV has more usability. I have a question for the ATV owners out there that use them for getting out on the hardwater.

Using an ATV for ice fishing especially when hauling plenty of gear I assume has its challenges in snow. If the lake has packed down snow trails it probably would be ok with factory tires but what size ATV tires are best to help with traction in snow?

I know there has been some discussions here on ATV's but I am thinking solid axle would probably be better if you intend to haul and load down the ATV. I would be using it yearound primarily for hauling gear/equipment/wood .. etc

You're asking what size tire is best; that depends on what quad you have. Need more info on that. Too tall a tire will run into clearance issues or force you to use spacers which can lead to early bearing failure.

In Southern Ontario, where the winters aren't terribly cold, tires that perform well in mud also do well in snow. In general, ATVs are OK in snow until it gets deep enough to hang up the quad - high centre it. Then you're stuck, no matter what tires you have. And just like on your car, a softer tire is better in the cold.

The Cheng Shin LumberJack C-828 is known for being good in snow; soft, flexible, light. I would be very careful with it on summer trails littered with jagged stone.

Edited by whiskywizard

Get a winch on the front and carry a 2 ft piece of 2x4. If you get stuck pull out the winch line all the way. Drill a hole put the wood down the hole and attach winch cable instant winch anchor anywhere on the lake. Hope that made since. Put the wood under the ice not just in the hole.

I'm chicken on a ATV on the lake. At least with the sled I can cross water if I need to. Also pressure cracks are much safer on sled.

You can pick up a beater sled for fishing with lots of miles left for 1000 bucks

Edited by Freshtrax

Thanks for the info all ... seems that most guys here at work have upgraded to mudlites for better mud and snow traction

Rick .. I havn't decided on which quad yet, although I have been wanting to pull the trigger for years ... now that i have so much ice fishing gear i just don't have the enrgy to hand pull it anymore ... :wallbash: , if the weather cooperates this winter hope to get out to Simcoe, Haliburton and Temagami, hope to tag along with you at least once ..

Freshtrax ... those sleds look like a pretty good deal , especially only using them for ice fishing ... definitely cheaper than a quad ... but not sure how much work they would need ..

I can’t justify buying a sled with such a limited season, but an ATV has more usability. I have a question for the ATV owners out there that use them for getting out on the hardwater.

I know there has been some discussions here on ATV’s but I am thinking solid axle would probably be better if you intend to haul and load down the ATV. I would be using it yearound primarily for hauling gear/equipment/wood .. etc

Your on the right track looking for a solid axle ATV.. Much better for towing and running loaded down as you don't lose ground clearance.. For tires I recommend using stock tires with low pressure.. Like 2psi. Follow beaten paths and you'll be ok out on the lake.. Bush Trails are a challenge if you fall of the side into fresh powder.

Tha top two if they had good compression and crank seals would run forever. Just clean the carbs every year like any two stroke or your asking for trouble. As for the third one it would run really fast for a while........ Things I always check on a used sled comp., seals, track, rear skid, if those all check out there's not much that can go wrong that 100 bucks a few beers and an evening in the garage with the shop manual can't fix ( same does not apply for newer sleds).......I'm jaded if you have a quad you can only get to where someone else has gone before I wouldn't want to be breaking trail. That's not what ice fishing is about for me I like the solitude.

Your on the right track looking for a solid axle ATV.. Much better for towing and running loaded down as you don't lose ground clearance.. For tires I recommend using stock tires with low pressure.. Like 2psi. Follow beaten paths and you'll be ok out on the lake.. Bush Trails are a challenge if you fall of the side into fresh powder.

do NOT get a solid axle ATV if you're going to use it for anything besides farm work. they ride very rough compared to IRS machines and already have a lower ground clearance than comparable IRS machines meaning a loaded ATV with IRS has more clearance than an empty solid axle atv. your back will thank me later.

i really agree with low PSI in the tires though. i usually run 0-1 PSI in my XTR's when heading out on the lake, but they're also radial tires and much stiffer than 6 ply.

in general, aggressive tires that are good in the mud suck in deep snow as most mud tires are designed to dig (gorilla silverbacks) rather than push (highlifter outlaws) and it's because of this that so many guys have "summer" and "winter" tires. you'll have zero issues bottoming out in deep snow when using non aggressive tires that make you float on the snow while your buddies ATV's with muddin tires are sinking out of sight. my ITP mud lite XTR's fall under this category so rather than buying new tires i simply switch tires from one side to the other so the treads/traction arrow are backwards. studded stock tires are often hard to beat in deep snow and ice...

do NOT get a solid axle ATV if you're going to use it for anything besides farm work. they ride very rough compared to IRS machines and already have a lower ground clearance than comparable IRS machines meaning a loaded ATV with IRS has more clearance than an empty solid axle atv. your back will thank me later.

i really agree with low PSI in the tires though. i usually run 0-1 PSI in my XTR's when heading out on the lake, but they're also radial tires and much stiffer than 6 ply.

in general, aggressive tires that are good in the mud suck in deep snow as most mud tires are designed to dig (gorilla silverbacks) rather than push (highlifter outlaws) and it's because of this that so many guys have "summer" and "winter" tires. you'll have zero issues bottoming out in deep snow when using non aggressive tires that make you float on the snow while your buddies ATV's with muddin tires are sinking out of sight. my ITP mud lite XTR's fall under this category so rather than buying new tires i simply switch tires from one side to the other so the treads/traction arrow are backwards. studded stock tires are often hard to beat in deep snow and ice...

I disagree... A new solid axle ATV does ride worse than an IRS bike, but with the new shocks they have now it's not that bad.. Certainly not like the old big bears etc.. And if you've ever towed heavy loads like I have ( I.e: my 14ft boat) with an IRS machine, the ground clearance is reduced to half.. With a solid axle, you don't loose any clearance. Newer sold axle machines have about 10" clearance, depending on how big of tires you run. My IRS outlander has 11" unloaded.

For the op's uses for this ATV, I feel that a solid axle machine would be better.. My IRS machine suits me fine.. As its used for some work, but mostly trail riding.

I too run them backwards.. I have mud lite XTR's ( excellent tires btw) and they seem to do quite well running reversed.. A bonus is that I can back out of anything once I get stuck.

My 2003 solid axle 450 Kodiak has almost 10" of ground clearance with stock tires. Sure, you do get bounced around a little more on trails but I'm totally happy with it. Any machine, IRS or solid axle, will bottom out in deep snow or mud.