Oct 17/12 - Fall Walleye Hunting Under Way

superdad

Well, we were away from Kingston at 0700 and headed to Hay Bay to pick up my Floater suit and some tackle.

We had planned to fish towards the Gap, BUT the SE winds and whitecaps kept us off that area, so Plan B-----

Headed to Pryners and launched there and we were in the lee of the winds, most of the time. The morning was blowing from the west in the Reach, so we headed into the wind towards the BatCAve......

We noticed along the way the number of cormorants feeding towards the shore and Laker John headed the boat a little closer still staying on 35+ feet. We had the manditory four rod set with four different lures at different depths.

Last year at the Toronto Sportsman Show, a friend confided in us about a trip with Zumi Zumi and they fish a Grey Ghost Reef Runner- well that rod fired on the board closest to the shore and I was into a fish. The fish skimmed the surface and I could see the walleye fin, John slipped the net under the fish and it was ours. Weighed and measured the fish for the MNR report and the fish was designated for the table.

IMG_0200-55lberandSuperdad.jpg

Sure is nice to start the fall walleye hunting season with a nice fish.

Continuing the troll to the west, we had changed the rods to cover the Reef Runners and once again the rod closest to the shore fired and John was into a Heavy fish.... Slowly the fish came to the boat and we finally saw the nice golden glow of the walleye as it slipped into our net. Hey a really nice fish. Weighed - measured and pictures taken, the fish was released for another day.

IMG_0201-Johnand8lber.jpg

We trolled to the BatCave and trolled back east. Nothing happened on the return troll to the launch ramp, but we were satisified with the results of the days fishing. Two for Two batting 1000%

We had a great day as the wind died and the sun broke thru and we were quite warm in the floater suits, but felt assured that our comfort and a bit of heat was better than freezing san the suits.

Landed at 1630 and headed back home - Great Day - great results.

David aka Superdad

Thanks for the report... and so it begins!

I have heard that the water level is down two feet from it's normal low point for this time of year... can anyone verify this?

Hey SD, have you seen any large baitfish schools as of yet?

Thanks,

HH