Trout Closer 2012

MJL

Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed the pics :)

those underwater photos are awesome thanks for sharing is that an atlantic ?

Thanks John. It's a baby Atlantic salmon

Very impressive, clear underwater shots. Would you mind sharing your camera settings and technique used to get such great shots. I get the "falling out of the tree" part.

In bright light, gin clear water, my camera does a pretty good job figuring out aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc, automatically in Program-mode.

In anything but bright sun and gin clear water (which is more often than not), I normally have to adjust the speed, aperture and ISO manually just so that I can get decent shots from one spot to the next

Camera is set to burst shooting and with my Canon 40D, I can shoot at 6.5fps which equates to a lot of pictures :lol:. The auto focus system is pretty good on the camera and lens. All in all, its pretty much an exercise in getting lucky and hoping you get that 1 shot that turns out OK. I've got a hard drive full of pictures that didn't really turn out as well as I hoped. I'm blessed that the rivers I've been fishing have been full of co-operative fish :D

As far as getting shots of the fish, often times I'm fighting the fish with one hand, bracing the camera with one foot and pressing the shutter with the other hand. Other times, I'm sitting in the river for an hour or two waiting for the fish to get close to the lens. I've done underwater timelapse with the autofocus still engaged (not the most effective but probably the easiest) - You just leave the camera in the water for a few hours and come back to a few thousand pics.LOL

Thanks for dropping in this morning, it was great to see you again and get some of the details and efforts required to get all these wonderful pictures. ;)

Eagerly waiting for the new stick to be completed :D

It looks like the guides I picked up were pre-ground and then anodized over? Makes my job a lot easier :)

wow those underwater shots are by far the nicest i have seen. was that as a result of your lighting thing you mentioned? or just the camera and clear water?

I was only able to use the flash system for the 1st picture. All the other pics I did not use flash. With underwater photography, gin clear water and good natural light makes shooting easy :)

Edited by MJL

Thanks again guys :)

Very cool pictures. Just wondering if the line is flouro or mono? Not looking to open a can of worms here just curious. :ninja:

Mono. When I'm fishing gin clear streams for trout, I find line diameter to be more important in "line invisibility". IMO, fluorocarbon is just as visible as any clear monofilament of the same diameter. There are some fluorocarbons I do like for my steelhead fishing because they actually do seem more abrasion resistant than the Maxima Ultragreen I normally use for my leaders.

Best underwater brook trout pictures I've seen anywhere? BTW, how can you tell the difference between a Brown and an Atlantic at that size?

Aside from the massive eyes as Bill eluded to, the mouth does not extend past the eye like it would on a brownie.