Ice fishing only a few months away

bobowski

I'm in the process of booking our annual ice fishing trip for the boys. As of now we are seriously entertaining the thought of going to Lake Nosbonsing. In the past few years we have gone to Temagami and Nippissing but this year we wanted to try somewhere different. I was told by a buddy that Nosbonsing is a good ice fishing lake and that we will not be dissapointed if we choose to go there. The pressure is on me to come up with a good lake that will produce numbers for the boys. We have had decent success in the past on previous lakes but this year we want to hopefully land a lot of walleye. I have done a lot of research on this lake coming up with mixed reviews, some being great and some not so great. Has anyone ice fished this lake and how was your experience? Also if anyone has any recomondations on where we good get into some good numbers of walleye within a 4 hour drive of the gta that would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here. Thanks so much in advance. Looking forward to a great year on the ice.

Quinte FOR SURE!!!!

Shoot me a PM once the ice is in... and I'll give ya some pointers on locations/baits etc!

I usaully make a trip to Quinte every year with my Brother. That place is a Walleye factory. My avatar pic is a Quinte Walleye. I quess I could consider that. The past few years we have done the ice bugalow thing on Temagami and Nippissing and had an awesome time. We're looking into something like that or at least a Cottage rental that is in walking distance to heated huts for the weekend. Thanks guys.

it's not walleye, but, LAKE SIMCOE!!! loads of perch

Simcoe is awesome. Im there at least once every couple of weeks in the winter as it is only about 45 minutes from where I live. Looking for something a little further to justify a weekend away with the guys. We will no doubt have a good time regardless because of the wobbly pops we will enjoy but would love everyone to get into some fish. :thumbsup_anim:

If you do decide on Nosbonsing, give Henry a call at Birch Hill Camp. You'll have a blast even if the fishing is slow...

I have only open water fished Nosbonsing but I've also stayed there and had no complaints at all.

Another camp on Nosbonsing I've stayed at and really liked is Cozy Camp Cottages. There is a good dropoff right near the camp and it appears he puts his huts there. Very short walk to the huts.

Here are some Customer Comments.

Edited by Woodsman

I also go away for a few weekenders every winter. I've tried quite a few places, but what I've found is that there are not many lakes that have cottage+hut rentals - at least south of Nipissing. We've often just stayed at a hotel/motel and hit a lake or two in the area. Somewhat surprising and unfortunate if you ask me. One of the few places that I have come across [with the exception of Nipissing and area] that offers cottages+hut and walleye fishing is Leisure Cottages on Oak Lake (FMZ 15). I have never been there nor do I know what the fishing is like. I was thinking about going there this season though.

It be nice to know what you end up deciding on.

Good luck!

Edited by FishLogic

Our group is facing the same dilemna. Probably many other groups as well. LOL

Everyone wants those walleye, but there just aren't enough choices. We did go to Nosbonsing one year. I won't mention the place, it was terrible. We did catch the odd pike and small walleye. I caught the two best walleye when everyone else packed up and we were about to leave. The weather will play a role in our decision. The last thing we want to do is book off time and plan a Quinte trip, only to find the conditions are unsafe.

So really, the choices are Nipissing, Temagami or Nosbonsing for ice bungalows or cottage/hut rentals. Bark Lake in Barry's Bay could be an option, but again the weather conditions play a huge role in that deep lake's freeze up. Not sure about the walleye fishing in the winter though, probably more trout and whitefish. Good luck in your search; I have been looking for other options for years. I did call that place on Oak Lake, but no body ever returns the call when I left a message.

Well. If you do choose Nosbonsing, and the fishing happens to suck that weekend... You can always call up Chad and have him drive you out in the back of the ranger to one of his honey holes on Nip.

Just because it says ford on the inside of my door, it doesn't make it any less of a Mazda hahah.

I'd be more than willing to share my spots with a small group but unfortunately I won't have a shack at my disposall this year.

If your looking for more info on regional lakes, pm me and we'll hash things out

Thanks for all of the replies guys. To tell you the truth I was just about to book with cozy camp cottages on Nosbonsing but I decided to put a post here for advice. I was also considering Quinte because I know that we will most likey get into fish but like others have said you really don't know what the conditions will be like there and I don't want our trip to be cancelled last minute due to unsafe ice. I've found that the best fishing on Quinte has been in areas where there is a current thus having the thinnest ice. I've done plenty of research and you guys are right in saying that there aren't many places that offer both, cottages and hut rentals. I'm thinking that I might just give Nosbonsing a try as the deal I was quoted was excellent and the huts are within walking distance to the cottages.

I ended up buying a pop-up hut and portable heater so I had more options. So now, I can rent a winterized cottage and fish in comfort. Of course, for whatever reason I am rarely even inside the hut! It's more for my buddies to use since they don't always have the best clothing for -30 conditions.

I'm going to tack on a question to this. I don't have a ski-do or anything to that effect. Are the good ice fishing spots on Quinte walkable? (Also if I'm a little crazy and willing to walk an hour to a good spot is it possible?)

Absolutely! I dont have a bike or ski-do either... I walk to all my spots. You just have to know where you're going on Quinte, due to the current.... or else you may end up swimming! Hopefully this year's ice is the opposite of last years! Was brutal last year.