Road Trip!!! North of Superior

kickingfrog

Heading to northwestern Ontario next weekend and looking for some recommendations for places to eat on the way and spend the night.

Sudbury - Sault Ste. Marie - Thunder Bay

Likely overnighting in the Thunder Bay area.

Thanks for the input.

Where will you end up? I'll be at a fly in. You could journey up a couple of dirt/gravel logging roads, safely park your car and take about a 2 mile hike along a river and I could make it down some rapids and pick you up for a good half day of walleye and pike fishing. Travel light and use my equipment.

A long shot, but a maybe............

Just sayin'.

Where will you end up? I'll be at a fly in. You could journey up a couple of dirt/gravel logging roads, safely park your car and take about a 2 mile hike along a river and I could make it down some rapids and pick you up for a good half day of walleye and pike fishing. Travel light and use my equipment.

Just sayin'.

That's an offer I'd have a hard time refusing. Enjoy your trip Connie!

Voyageur in batchawana ain't to shabby if you plan on staying the night in the area. Good rooms and food.

Is the Salzberger Hof still in business in Batchawana Bay? I stayed there a few times years ago steelheading north of the Soo and it was always great.

That's an offer I'd have a hard time refusing. Enjoy your trip Connie!

Is the Salzberger Hof still in business in Batchawana Bay? I stayed there a few times years ago steelheading north of the Soo and it was always great.

Yes it is. My gf and I stopped in there a few weeks ago to see if we could get a table. We couldn't! Make reservations we wish we did!

No real advice from me Rob, but glad to see you're going.

Will you be fishing?

Just sayin'.

Sioux Lookout is the final destination for some of fishing. We'll be wetting a line at a few of the rivers on the north shore on the way.

If you like Poutine, the place in Spanish right on the highway is great. It's a walk-up style joint with finishing line stretched all above the property to deter seagulls. I love Poutine and couldn't believe I found one so good in such a small place. Can't remember the name of the place, but if you go through Spanish and it's open you'll see it.

Sioux Lookout is the final destination for some of fishing. We'll be wetting a line at a few of the rivers on the north shore on the way.

It was a true long shot, but sometimes they work. I would have fed you, but with yesterday's cold walleye sandwich rather than taking valuable fishing time to do a shore lunch.

I would have made it down some pretty nice rapids, headed down river and picked you up near the flume dam. Deep pool below the rapids sometimes holds tons of nice, for the area, walleyes for fall fishing. I'm talking lots of 19" to 26" with one 30" over many years. Fished it with a countdown several years ago and quit when I snagged two nice walleyes. Bumped a lot and didn't realize what was happening. Finally caught one in the mouth, foul hooked the next two and left.

Huge pike also know where walleyes hang out and that's where I'll find them.

Have a great trip.

It was a true long shot, but sometimes they work. I would have fed you, but with yesterday's cold walleye sandwich rather than taking valuable fishing time to do a shore lunch.

I would have made it down some pretty nice rapids, headed down river and picked you up near the flume dam. Deep pool below the rapids sometimes holds tons of nice, for the area, walleyes for fall fishing. I'm talking lots of 19" to 26" with one 30" over many years. Fished it with a countdown several years ago and quit when I snagged two nice walleyes. Bumped a lot and didn't realize what was happening. Finally caught one in the mouth, foul hooked the next two and left.

Huge pike also know where walleyes hang out and that's where I'll find them.

Have a great trip.

Quit it already, don't make me give up my new job already just so you can have a boat partner :thumbsup_anim:

If you like Poutine, the place in Spanish right on the highway is great. It's a walk-up style joint with finishing line stretched all above the property to deter seagulls. I love Poutine and couldn't believe I found one so good in such a small place. Can't remember the name of the place, but if you go through Spanish and it's open you'll see it.

It's called Lucky's Snack Bar. Have a great trip!

Terrace Bay is a nice little town to stay at with a couple small motels.

Forget Terrace Bay. The pulp mill was recently purchased and the construction crews have all the hotels/motels booked for miles around. In fact, my next job might be there and lodging is looking like a problem for me right now.

if you decide to stay the night between the Sault and TBay, try the continental hotel in White River. The suite rooms are quite nice. The restaurant next door is pretty good too.

Wok With Chow in Marathon is VERY good.

Stayed there and ate there. Agree with both points. :thumbsup_anim: