Two fish limit for salmon

SirCranksalot

I dont care about the 5 salmon fish limit.. atleast they not going in waste.. You know what I think they should ban the fishermen who leaves the salmon in the side of the river after they harvest the eggs...

shore fishermen probably kill more salmon (released fish dying, meat hunters, egg hunters) in the fall than boat anglers do all year. i'd support a ban on fishing for migratory salmon before a 2 fish limit.

Operating a charter boat in the summertime on Lake Ontario your comments regarding charters are off the mark, normally I'm pleasantly surprised at the respect most people have for the resource and the concern when releasing fish that its successful. In addition the people are usually out for the whole experience and in Lake O seldom do my customers keep fish unless they're mortally wounded or as I recommend, a few small ones as per the consumption guide. I know there are exceptions and its not always the case and there are always going to be meat fishermen. The real harm in my opinion is inexperience handling and releasing fish and unfortunately that cannot always be taught or bought, it comes with experience.

That being said a two fish limit for steelhead everywhere absolutely! Why anyone would want or be able to keep five steelies each is beyond me and why when I'm in my boat fives okay and in my waders its two (I know the argument but don't agree).

As far as salmon, if someone wants to keep five and they don't waste them Bon Appetite :stretcher: (the salmon population is healthy on lake Ontario) but its not the norm on lake O in my boat or the other guys I work with (speaking from experience not conjecture).

So despite the misleading cooler and dock shots (used for promo) most crews in my firsthand experience keep very limited amounts of salmon and trout on Lake O and generally have respect for our resource.

All that being said as a charter captain, a two steelie limit would be welcomed and I believe would have absolutely no affect on the Lake Ontario charter business IMO.

How often has a fisherman(person?) wanted to keep more than 2?

Snidley, I fail to see the difference in perceived value between a fish caught out in the middle of the lake and one caught from shore... especially when you consider that those shore catches are being done during the fish's reproductive periods...

But since YOU prefer to catch them from shore, the rest of us obviously are raping the resource...

BTW- I kept one Bow this year... I bet you caused a lot more damage at a time when the fish are more vulnerable then I have...

PS... try using a comma in your high brow verbal diarrhea...

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Shore anglers, particularly ones seeking roe for bait, are equally culpable in the issue of slaughtering pelagic fish without regard to the future. I condemn the use of roe at every turn, call for Ontario to follow the rest of Canada and ban it's use and in no way suggest that there is a qualitative difference between fish in the open lake or the inshore or the stream itself. What is different is that in the lake the limit is 5 fish while in the river it is 2. Unfair, unsustainable, and a clear case of bowing and scraping to the Charter-Derby lobby by our lame government types.

I happen to find trolling for fish with trolling rigs and a power boat to be boring. I am not alone in this because even the guys that like to troll are few and far between once the derbies stop. Leads me to believe that these guys are cash trollers, anglers that need the incentive of a payday to find what there doing (and the expense of what they are doing), palatable. Back when you could go out and catch 10 to 20 salmon per outing, using spoons I could enjoy some trolling. Today you need Spin Docs, Teaser Rigs, Dipseys, Torpedoes, leadcore, Fish Hawks etc. All of that gear and heavy rods to pull it around ruins the sport for me and despite what some anglers say even with all this new tech most anglers are not experiencing the success trolling that we once had. It has also gotten very expensive ie. from Bronte it's $17 to launch, a break off of a trolling rig will set you back $40, and gas sits at about $1.40 a liter. All to have the boat catch the fish and you winch it in. No wonder guys decide to keep toxic fish, it defrays the cost of the whole en devour. Paying a trolling business on top of all the technical expenses makes the whole effort outrageously expensive for a very mediocre thrill IMO. Whoever said earlier in the thread that you could hire a charter for $200 was dreaming in technicolour.

As I said earlier I don't think there is a qualitative difference between offshore fish, inshore fish or stream fish from a limit perspective but there is a massive difference in the offshore fishing experience, the inshore fishing experience and the stream fishing experience in both cost and quality. The key to this discussion is that, through lobbying efforts, the offshore anglers are being allowed more than double the creel limit and this runs counter to good fisheries management as well as fairness.