fluorocarbon leader

Cloudy15

After reading the thread on line choice. I bought stren soinic braid 8lb 300yrds 32 bucks didnt seem like a great price and also bought stren fluorocast 10lb for my leader. Curious how you attach your fluorocarbon leader. I used a barrel swivel in the past with the plamer knot and found i was breaking off alot. I was curious is this line combo would make a good drop shot rig?

thanks

Is this a float rod?,if so i personally use a micro swivel under the float and than use a clinch knot for the leader from that to the hook.I'm sure you'll get a lot of great ideas.

no not a float rod, dont have one never tried it. Sounds like i migh tbe missing out. Thanks for the responce

Regular cinch or palomar.Remember to lubricate the Fluro before tightening the knot.That may be why you are getting breakoffs.I usually use saliva to lubricate just before tightening.

One thing to consider.The flouro for leader material is a bit stiffer than flouro meant for mainline.Although some use mainline as leader material, i don't.

Regular cinch or palomar.Remember to lubricate the Fluro before tightening the knot.That may be why you are getting breakoffs.I usually use saliva to lubricate just before tightening.

One thing to consider.The flouro for leader material is a bit stiffer than flouro meant for mainline.Although some use mainline as leader material, i don't.

Hmm never did wet my palomar knot, annoying if thats all it was. if using the palomar not your using some kind of swivel to joing the two lines... is it better to tie the lines direct?

thanks for the tip!

Hmm never did wet my palomar knot, annoying if thats all it was. if using the palomar not your using some kind of swivel to joing the two lines... is it better to tie the lines direct?

thanks for the tip!

Honestly, i dont think it matters to the fish either way. I Tie my flouro to a tiny very good quality chain swivel,with a regular cinch knot. i tie the Braid to the other eye on the chain swivel with a palomar knot.

I give myself about 18 inches of flouro, and tie a snap, not a snap swivel, to the end of my leader, useing a cinch knot again.

I always use snaps, and no one can convince me that tieing direct to lures catches more fish.Fish dont give a dang how your lure is attached to your line, and i have produced as many if not more fish than the people i fish with, who tie direct.I use the smallest terminal tackle that i can get away with, for the fish i am targeting.

Always lubricate flouro.It tends to heat up slightly as it pulls across itself during the tightening of the knot.

thanks for the tip!

It's not the fish that it matters to, it's your line and line guides. On a baitcasting outfit where I'm not nearly as concerned about line twist it is almost always line to line (if I bother using a floruo leader). On a spinning set-up if there is a possibility of line twist I'll use a small float swivel and even then I hate to reel it through the tiptop, but invariably do.

I would never reel a swivel through the guides, lol.

I use a pretty short leader (when I do use one), usually around 14".

I tie my mainline to a good quality barrel swivel (I prefer Spro). I use a palomar

I use a palomar or double palomar when I attach the fluoro to the barrel swivel.

Anytime I attach two lines together, its uni to uni. Then I'll use a pretty long leader, really just prevnt retying a bunch of times throughout the day. IMO, uni to uni is pretty simple, but it becomes a pain in crappy weather while in the boat. I'll do it, but I'd just rather not.

Always moisten your knots good, and I find it helps to cinch the knot slowly, whereas some people really tighten it down hard and fast.

Uni-to-uni is a pain in the arse to tie for using leaders.

I use a triple surgeon's knot and haven't had too many issues at all. Very easy to tie.

Also - the conventional view is to NOT use a palomar knot for flouro. I stopped using it after I was breaking off far too often. I'd always break off at the terminal knot, not at the surgeons, which is what should really break first. I started using a uni knot, but through the eye twice and my break off issue stopped soon after.