Transducer/Ice Ducer Question

sneak_e_pete

Hi there, I was going to buy an ice-ducer for my Humminbird 597ci to take ice fishing this year. It has the flasher built in and I am eager to try it.

I just realized that I have an extra transom mount transducer for this as the unit is currently hooked into my Terrova with universal sonar.

My question is, can I just take the transom mount transducer, mount it to something so that it shoots the beam straight down the ice fishing hole? Will it work as well/the same as the ice-ducer?

Thanks.

Sure you can do that, but from someone who's done that, then switched over to the ice transducer, the later is so much easier..

No making sure it's straight, just drop the thing in the hole and start fishing.. Well worth the price (I use it with a 747c in a portable ice pack)

Ditto what Bill said. I used a T-bracket for years and you constantly need to fiddle with it while on the ice to ensure that it's pointing straight down...no more of that with the ice transducer, it's well worth the money.

Yup, many swear words have been said out on the ice while using 'The T'

LOL!

I like the T bracket better than the floating ice-ducer. If theres any currant or Im using a spoon like the williams wobbler that drifts out to the side I can tilt the transducer on what ever angle I want.

I've got no issues picking up a small Williams in Kemp while fishing out in 120ft of water with the ice transducer. We all know the current there :)

After trying an ICE 67C with the Ice traducer last winter I was sold. My skimmer would see lots of fish in deep water but you never know how close. With the ICE transducer If I saw them on the screen I know the fish is closer.

I also prefer the ice-ducer as it packs up better & is a little easier to set-up but I have in the past rigged up a skimmer transducer that picked up fish just as good. Both transducers have the same degrees of coverage.

Here's how I did it.

Hummingbird170004.jpg

The foam was from a surplus store for $1.( a piece of pool noodle works also) Cut length wise to the centre and run transducer cable though it securing with electrical ties so that the foam can be slide up or down to adjust depth.

The green bracket attached to the transducer with a bolt is a bracket used to attach a chain link fence to the pole. Adjust so that the transducer hangs level using electrical ties to secure the cable to the bracket.

Hope this helps: Rick

Edited by Woodsman