Have you ever used these lures before?

Lip-ripper

I came across these lures and picked a few up in 2 different colours. They are a hybrid between a jig and a spinner, made by Mepps, called the Spinflex.

They should be decent for most applications - casting, trolling, drifting, even should be okay for ice fishing.

I figure tipped with a worm, minnow or soft plastic they should produce...

However, a quick scan of the Mepps website shows them as a discontinued product... I wonder why?

Seems they should by dynamite... What do you think?

Have you ever used or even seen these before?

lure.jpg

My bet is a salmon lure. On the west coast spinners are considered the mainstay of salmon fishing and the lead would get the spinner down to Chinnooks, which tend to sit on the bottom when not active. I think the siwash hook also points to a Salmon lure. I think Mepps now has a weighted spinner that is probably viewed as the better option for this technique. Double Loon also made a weighted spinner called a 3A that has a #3 blade and a #4 weight to help get a longer cast as well as running the lure deeper on retrieve. A heavy spinner, counted down and equipped with a siwash hook would allow for "bottom bouncing" a spinner down to lethargic Salmon, Lakers and Steelhead. Personally I run #3A D Loons or #4 Blue Fox/Mepps spinners at the Whirlpool and I count them down up to a 25 count/seconds. With a treble hook you would be leaving a king's ransom of spinners on the bottom but with the siwash losses are minimal and for sure that is where the fish hang out so catching good number of fish is the result.

Edited by Snidley

I am a huge fan of mepps, so I have one in my tackle box. Guess what I catch with it- mainly walleye. Also a few incidental bass. Tip it with a worm, leech, or minnow, and cast like a spinner, jig them, or you can even troll them in deeper water. I caught a 15 inch walleye and a 2 lb smallie at my cottage one day with the mepps jig, tipped with a leech or a worm.

EDIT: here they are,

b4b0f165.jpg

Edited by northernpike56

If you like the idea of those then check out the Aaron’s Rollin’ Runner by Road Runner for walley and bass too.

thumb_SMR-14-004.jpg

I like them too but I could only find smaller ones for panfish....never could locate the heavier ones. Where do you get them?

I like them too but I could only find smaller ones for panfish....never could locate the heavier ones. Where do you get them?

Look identical to Blakemore " Road Runners" to me , up to 1 oz at Cabelas. I love the small white maribou ones for crappie and larger ones for Erie smallies.

http://www.cabelas.com/panfish-jigs-blakemore-road-runner-bucktails-1.shtml

I came across these lures and picked a few up in 2 different colours. They are a hybrid between a jig and a spinner, made by Mepps, called the Spinflex.

They should be decent for most applications - casting, trolling, drifting, even should be okay for ice fishing.

I figure tipped with a worm, minnow or soft plastic they should produce...

However, a quick scan of the Mepps website shows them as a discontinued product... I wonder why?

Seems they should by dynamite... What do you think?

Have you ever used or even seen these before?

I have never seen them before. Interesting. I wonder if the large weight causes too much disturbance in front of the spinner blade to get it to spin properly?

I have never seen them before. Interesting. I wonder if the large weight causes too much disturbance in front of the spinner blade to get it to spin properly?

I thought the same at first... but thinking about it more, Snidley did point out that they may be more suited to salmon fishing, possibly more West Coast. The moving lure and some river current combined would like give lots of resistance to spin a small french blade..?

Anyways, cool lure. Mepps rule!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Get Erie Dearies.....basically the same bait. Tried and true fish catcher.

Used Erie Dearies all the time in 80's wind drift jigging on Pigeon Lake in Kawarthas.

When lifted, as wind pushed you along, the blade would spin. Of course you needed a nightcrawler/worm on there as well.