Ilegal to leave boat on crown land

rufus

There is a timeless tradition of leaving an old boat in a back lake so one can just hike in (or ATV nowadays) and enjoy the great remote fishing. In the Kenora paper there is an article where two guys were fined $500 for leaving a boat on crown land - on a small walleye lake.

I wasn't aware that it was illegal, were you?

From what I can gather, the "Boat Cache Program" only applies in the North west region and only on certain lakes. It apparently is covered in the Public Land Use act but good luck trying to find any info on this topic. On these lakes, you have to have a permit to cache a boat and you have to paint the permit number on the boat. You may only use a designated boat for transportation and you may not fish from it. I have googled long and hard with no luck finding any info on this other than some posted on other boards. I guess if your not sure, you should either check with the MNR or buy yourself a good camo tarp....

Another value added service from our MNR....

Is this the guys who were caught commercially harvesting baitfish outside their zone (and in someone else's)? If so, they probably deserve it.

I didn't see that one in my Googling but there are quite a few fines on the MNR enforcement page and most are pretty steep, the one was $1600 but it was for multiple boats scattered throughout the area...this was news to me too, we have a number of boats up there stashed away but I'm not certain if they are in the designated lakes or not. I think the camo tarp policy is being applied to these boats anyway....;)

:whistling: Yeah it is the law in certain areas of NWO.

When I was living out there I found came to this realization and went to the local CO's to confirm.

There are only a couple of areas in Onatrio that it applies to as I remember, the Rainy River/T-Bay district and I believe up in the Haliburton/Algonquin area (though I could be wrong on the last) I went as far to get an application for a cache on an untouched laker lake I found but basically quit the idea after talking to the manager up there. Odds were not good as i was not a trapper or a bait-fisherman.....I don't own a folding boat, :whistling:

I wondered when I would trek into these lakes why there was no boats????

As a side note everywhere else in Ontario if you leave a boat it is considered the property of the crown, therefore if you find a boat use it!!!! Just put it back so the dude that hauled it in can appreciate it later.

Edited by brkygetr

As a side note everywhere else in Ontario if you leave a boat it is considered the property of the crown, therefore if you find a boat use it!!!! Just put it back so the dude that hauled it in can appreciate it later.

May be legal, but not sure it's good form to "borrow" someone else's boat.

i borrowed a boat once on a remote lake, i got back to the launch after a day of fishing with the owner waiting for his turn. i dont think he was to happy with me but didnt say much and stashed it on the other side of the lake. i didnt think being so remote and always being the only one on the lake that we'd show up at the same time would happen. im not ever doing that again i felt bad. and i had my boat stashed at a lake and someone took it on me. hide your boat really really good.

I got into a conversation last fall with one of our COs , he told me that if they are part of your business ( like an outpost rental )and registered with the MNR you're good to keep it there , anyone else can keep it on the spot for up to 21 days and must be moved 100M after 21 days , just like a camper trailer , tent or hunt camp ... apparently same applies for an ice hut left on shore during soft water.

He knows of tons of tinnies hidden in the bush , unless he gets a complaint he doesn't bother the owner .

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I got into a conversation last fall with one of our COs , he told me that if they are part of your business ( like an outpost rental )and registered with the MNR you're good to keep it there , anyone else can keep it on the spot for up to 21 days and must be moved 100M after 21 days , just like a camper trailer , tent or hunt camp ... apparently same applies for an ice hut left on shore during soft water.

He knows of tons of tinnies hidden in the bush , unless he gets a complaint he doesn't bother the owner .

yup that is about right

I know a few lakes where they had a notice stuck on their boats , then they were removed a while after that.....some where axed lots of holes in them..not sure who did the axing after the notices

I have a couple tinnies stashed away in the bush at a lake trout lake in central Ontario and I have never had any problems with them.

I think what the problem is that the MNR and people using the lake for that matter don't want the shoreline littered with old aluminum

boats so just be respectful and take that extra effort and pull them up into the bush a little bit and if your boat is damaged take it out

with you , don't leave it there to become part of the landscape :angry:

There is a backwoods bass lake I go to and over the last couple years guys have been stashing boats at the launch area and it is starting to look like a dumping ground , there is actually an old fiberglass bowrider back there (I have no idea how they got it there)and it just sits there on the shoreline collecting water and it looks terrible ! I don't think it would even float anymore , do you think the owner will pull it out of there , not a chance.

The old saying "out of sight , out of mind" really applies here .