"my legal right"

Rich

Time for some to re-read their legal rights.. Keeping a limit yes it's legal, but having more than that limit, even from previous trips, in your freezer , is breaking the law. Fun fact of the day.

Everyone have fun on the water today if you should be so lucky. Ill be bass/pike hunting in less than a half hour!

This is my favorite law. It applies to my personal nemesis which is bait anglers that employ salmon/rainbow/brown trout roe. Federal law includes roe as caught fish and by extension the roe in your freezer is no different than fillets. Unfortunately the MNR stubbornly refuses to enforce Federal law and, even though their own studies indicate that over harvest for roe collection is endemic in Ontario, they steadfastly refuse to enforce the law or even make mention of it in their publications leaving our pelagics at the mercy of hackers that load the boat and freezer for bait. It's no wonder that pelagic fishing suffers annual decline when turf wars trump good fisheries management and anglers can't accommodate in their minds that you can't slaughter the females of a species before they spawn and still expect that species to thrive. Time to join the rest of Canada and outlaw roe as a legal bait.

They generally don't sell fish in ziplock bags, and if it came down to it they could do biological testing to see what water it came from. ALSO keep in mind. The MnR is highly unlikely to pay you avisit beause of 1 or 2 fillets. I mean we are talking baout horders and poachers that have dozens and hundreds of fish. Yah the caught you red handed 1 or 2 fish over, your gonna get a fine, but investigating where you live, searching your freezer? They are looking for more than one or two, and if you had say a dozen walleye fillets you would likely have a store reciept or they would be wrapped like from a store.

Its surpriseing how few anglers read and understand the regswallbash.gif I was fishing with a buddy yesterday, and 2 guys in a boat approached and asked if we wanted a walleye they had caught, because they only got 1 and were leaveing.

I asked him if it was within the slot size.He looked at me bewildered and asked what that wasmellow.gif

He passed it to me, and watched as i showed him the MNR sticker on my boat with the length clearly marked, and showed him where the slot started and stopped.His fish was illegal and very deadwallbash.gif

ALSO keep in mind. The MnR is highly unlikely to pay you avisit beause of 1 or 2 fillets. I mean we are talking baout horders and poachers that have dozens and hundreds of fish. Yah the caught you red handed 1 or 2 fish over, your gonna get a fine, but investigating where you live, searching your freezer? They are looking for more than one or two, and if you had say a dozen walleye fillets you would likely have a store reciept or they would be wrapped like from a store.

That's true.

They would have to have compelling evidence to obtain a search warrant for your home. One or two extra fillets would not be enough.

Edited by Woodsman

In my region of Quebec, the slot limit is 32 to 47 cm. (13 to 18 1/2 inches). I doubt very much that someone who catches a 27 or 28 inch walleye would want to put it back into the water. I'm certain that no one in Quebec would release a record size walleye.

Before the slot limit was instigated, there was no size limit on walleye. I caught and kept some large walleyes but I did not really enjoy eating those walleye. The smaller walleye in the 16 to 24 inch range tasted much better so over time, I released all walleye over 6 lbs because I almost always caught as many walleye as I needed to fill my quota anyway. Ok, I don't give away as many walleye fillets as I used to but the way I figure it, if someone really wants to eat a few walleye fillets, they just might as well do as I do.....go fishing.

Its surpriseing how few anglers read and understand the regswallbash.gif I was fishing with a buddy yesterday, and 2 guys in a boat approached and asked if we wanted a walleye they had caught, because they only got 1 and were leaveing.

I asked him if it was within the slot size.He looked at me bewildered and asked what that wasmellow.gif

He passed it to me, and watched as i showed him the MNR sticker on my boat with the length clearly marked, and showed him where the slot started and stopped.His fish was illegal and very deadwallbash.gif

You might be surprised at how many anglers actually cannot "read and understand" regulations.

Almost every week I buy fish. I don't just toss the filets in the freezer how they come packaged, either. I wash them and pack them in ziplocks in some water. The exact same way I do with fish I catch and keep. And I don't keep my receipts for any food I buy, either. That's ridiculous.

They generally don't sell fish in ziplock bags, and if it came down to it they could do biological testing to see what water it came from. ALSO keep in mind. The MnR is highly unlikely to pay you avisit beause of 1 or 2 fillets. I mean we are talking baout horders and poachers that have dozens and hundreds of fish. Yah the caught you red handed 1 or 2 fish over, your gonna get a fine, but investigating where you live, searching your freezer? They are looking for more than one or two, and if you had say a dozen walleye fillets you would likely have a store reciept or they would be wrapped like from a store.

I buy bulk and repack in ziploc before freezing.... I have 20+ pounds of ground beef... 10-15 steaks... 20 pounds of chicken breast... Etc...

So if I was someone who had to buy fish... I'd buy lots of it on sale and pack it in freezer bags...

Also... What would biological testing prove with store bought walleye...?

Aren't grocery store walleye wild fish caught by commercial fishing?

Almost every week I buy fish. I don't just toss the filets in the freezer how they come packaged, either. I wash them and pack them in ziplocks in some water. The exact same way I do with fish I catch and keep. And I don't keep my receipts for any food I buy, either. That's ridiculous.

good.gif

I buy bulk and repack in ziploc before freezing.... I have 20+ pounds of ground beef... 10-15 steaks... 20 pounds of chicken breast... Etc...

So if I was someone who had to buy fish... I'd buy lots of it on sale and pack it in freezer bags...

Also... What would biological testing prove with store bought walleye...?

Aren't grocery store walleye wild fish caught by commercial fishing?

they can test, and determine what body of water the fish came from, but you would have to be a huge problem, before they would spend the money on surveillance and testing of your freezer contents.

they can test, and determine what body of water the fish came from, but you would have to be a huge problem, before they would spend the money on surveillance and testing of your freezer contents.

So guys that fish waters that have commercial fishing could get away with it then....

HOLAY Wow ! I have a few friends that were nailed for " freezer stocking "

they're not in a " good situation"right now , one stands to lose a truck an boat , the other has been through the courts and it cost him 6500.00$ .....

Over limit is not to be seen in my freezer... never has , never will .

A 4 person multi species limit in my freezer will feed 30 people with left overs ... easy .

I asked the local CO's the question about the compelling "grocery store bought" argument, they said you'd have to provide a receipt, were they to have some compelling evidence to investigate somebody about this.

ummmm, MNR do not have to obtain a search warrant to inspect your home/vehicle or boat

I was waiting for someone to make that Bull comment.

Although CO's have wide latitude to search without warrant it does not include your home also known as a dwelling under the Ontario Fish & Wildlife Act.

Yes they will play off this common misconception to gain entry but they do not have that power.

Read the actual Act.

My link

See: PART VIII - ENFORCEMENT

I was waiting for someone to make that Bull comment.

Although CO's have wide latitude to search without warrant it does not include your home also known as a dwelling under the Ontario Fish & Wildlife Act.

Yes they will play off this common misconception to gain entry but they do not have that power.

Read the actual Act.

My link

See: PART VIII - ENFORCEMENT

Good to know, thanks for the link!

Sorry for my bull

Point of the post is, there are possession limits, not catch limits. Maybe this information was new to some people and they will stop stockpiling from now on, knowing its illegal. Thats better than arrests and enforcement, when people just know the law and abide by it? Maybe not use cheats and hoopla to get around it "just a little bit"... Maybe just... Abide by it? Whether or not the MNR is gonna kick in your door. Thats the point.

Also not mentioned is every resident in the house also has a possession limit.

A valid license is not required as it is quite legal to gift fish to those without a license.

Those with out a license have a possession limit equal to a sport fishing license but do not have a daily catch privileged.

Those under 18 or over 64 are considered holders of a sport fishing license.

Only one's not allowed a sport fishing license possession limit is those who hold a Conservation License.

Edited by Woodsman