BPS rod warranty?

Cudz

I broke about 10 inches off my 6'6" carbonlite rod last weekend. I bought it last year and really like the rod but I am wondering if they will replace it. I think it is a year warranty and I know I bought it last summer around this time but I can't find the receipt. I am going toBPS tomorrow to see what they can do. Just wondering if they are good about replacing things or am I wasting my time?

I had my carbon lite replaced think it was short of a year they are a nice rod but when I went to get another off the shelf the sales guy told me that the have to much carbon in them and are brittle. They had been getting a ton come back so I bought a shimano

I had a terrible experience there a while ago with a rod replacement. I had broke a BPS brand rod the first time I used it and wanted it replaced but couldn't find the receipt. Since I don't get down to TO often it was close to a year by the time I got back with it. All they would do for me was give me a store credit for the cheapest they had ever sold it for. Since it had recently been discontinued and replaced with a "new" model they had it on clearance at some time. The clearance price was about half of what I paid. Even though the new model was virtually identical but a new colour or something insignificant I would have been happy with a straight replacement but they wouldn't do it. I was extremely unhappy with the service and at that point I just wanted to take the money back but they wouldn't even do that.

the customer service desk in vaughan lacks any shred of customer service skills in my experience...go to the fishing counter and ask for the manager, i've exchanged 2 broken rods without a receipt

Agreed, I broke about 6 inches off the tip of a rod last year and brought it in. They replaced it no questions asked, but first had to call a manager from the fishing department.

the customer service desk in vaughan lacks any shred of customer service skills in my experience...go to the fishing counter and ask for the manager, i've exchanged 2 broken rods without a receipt

Yes that does work as I had to do the same and the mgr sent someone to the back to put the broken one back there and grab another for me. Good luck.

When did:

1) buy rod

2) break rod

3) buy new rod

Change to:

1) buy rod

2) break rod

3) expect free rod replacement

I can understand if it was defective, but if you are catching a tip and breaking off a foot of it 10 months after you bought it, I would expect you should purchase a new one to break.

Cudz never said he caught the tip, only that he broke off 10". Could be a defect as far as I/we know.

As well much will depend on BPS' warranty terms which may or may not cover all damage (no fault in other words).

Also see archer's reply which I think goes to the heart of the matter.

When did:

1) buy rod

2) break rod

3) buy new rod

Change to:

1) buy rod

2) break rod

3) expect free rod replacement

I can understand if it was defective, but if you are catching a tip and breaking off a foot of it 10 months after you bought it, I would expect you should purchase a new one to break.

At no point did I suggest I caught the tip on anything. For the record it broke on a hookset. Now whether that hookset was a snag or a fish will not be mentioned here but the truth is that I thought it was a fish and did a regular solid hookset (texas rigged senko with 20 pound power pro). THe fact that there was not a fish at the other end to me is not really an excuse for breakage. Now if I slammed in the car door or dropped a brick on it, that is another issue. The fact that it broke in a fishing situation is what is the problem here.

BPS return went very welll. Went to customer service. Told him I did not have the bill. He looked at the rod and broken tip. THe rod was in perfect condition otherwise. He told me to go get the exact one. Exchanged it straight up. Did not ask any questions. He did ask me how old it was and then quickly said "say less than a year". LOL. THe kid was a good kid.

Very good experience. Will buy another rod there.

Does anyone know who the manager is there? I had a problem with a rod that broke at a spot it should of never broke. I brought it back,and no help from customer service. No receipt. Hell,I never even got a reply from the manufacture. I still have it. And BPS still sells the same rod.

On another note. I had a pair of waders replaced,no questions asked. I had the receipt this time,but was told it did not matter. The brand was covered, non the less.

Chris,want to go down together? LOL

At no point did I suggest I caught the tip on anything. For the record it broke on a hookset. Now whether that hookset was a snag or a fish will not be mentioned here but the truth is that I thought it was a fish and did a regular solid hookset (texas rigged senko with 20 pound power pro). THe fact that there was not a fish at the other end to me is not really an excuse for breakage. Now if I slammed in the car door or dropped a brick on it, that is another issue. The fact that it broke in a fishing situation is what is the problem here.

Just throwing my opinion out there. 'I broke' and 'it broke' read very differently. Breaking on a hook set, even something that wasn't a fish shouldn't break a rod.

Good luck sir!

Does anyone know who the manager is there? I had a problem with a rod that broke at a spot it should of never broke. I brought it back,and no help from customer service. No receipt. Hell,I never even got a reply from the manufacture. I still have it. And BPS still sells the same rod.

On another note. I had a pair of waders replaced,no questions asked. I had the receipt this time,but was told it did not matter. The brand was covered, non the less.

Chris,want to go down together? LOL

the manager's name I dealt with a few times was Pavo..but doubt he's still there, been a few years

I guess you could question ethics here, but just say the rod is less than a year old :whistling: