the next/last boat

krixxer

I'm doing a little research into welded boats

looking at the likes of: Stanley, Harbercraft, weldcraft. Are there any other brands to consider? places that use thick Al?

I'd like something in the 17 foot 100/125hp range.

Edited by krixxer

Smokercraft has got some heavy gauge welded boats much like the West Coast styles you mention.

http://www.americananglerboats.com/boat-models.php?model=Phantom+162-182-202

http://www.americananglerboats.com/boat-models.php?model=Osprey+162-172

Even Lund has one that is a sweet little boat for great lakes troller, riveted I think but along the same style.

http://www.lundboats.com/boats/2011-aluminum/1650-renegade-boat

Edited by dave524

I'm looking at Alumacraft right now, been checking the specs,2XB hull .160 twin plate, looks like the best on the market for a riveted boat. Sure passes Lund's. But your talking heavy welded, don't think you can beat your choices for a life long boat :good:

Edited by Fish Farmer

I'm looking at Alumacraft right now, been checking the specs,2XB hull .160 twin plate, looks like the best on the market for a riveted boat. Sure passes Lund's. But your talking heavy welded, don't think you can beat your choices for a life long boat :good:

My current ride; a 30 year old riveted alumacraft that still holds her own. I'm starting to wonder how my more can she take? (I’ve had her to hell and back) I think I have another season with the 'ol girl but after that I think it will be time to upgrade so I'm starting to look at some options.

Even Lund has one that is a sweet little boat for great lakes troller, riveted I think but along the same style.

http://www.lundboats.com/boats/2011-aluminum/1650-renegade-boat

As for the Lund Renegade, it has proved impossible to find one to look at in Ontario or at any boat show. Not enough options I guess for the dealers to make any money on. Looks like a trip to the U.S. if this is what you are looking for.

There is a Kemp Aluminum welded boat built in Pointe aux Barile by the Ironworker - looks like a sturdy workmanlike boat. Do a google search, as for me, their web site keeps crashing my browser.

Edited by blue pickeral

Just out of curiosity - why welded vs. rivets?

Welds weaken the surrounding material and tend to cause cracking, rivets maintain almost 100% strength.

yup and rivets don't change the flexibility...it's why they use rivets on planes and not welds

I have a little hand on experience on the matter: I've worked on planes for 15 years and also worked as QAM in a weld shop and currently own an Al processing/paint shop.

If money was no object.... my next boat would be 5mm welded Al plate

since I work for a living I'll likely end up with 2mm riveted sheetmetal.

I think it boils down to QC

If you want to buy a welded boat make sure it is assembled by a craftsman

if you buy a mass produced boat then stick with rivets.

BigBuck: thank you! first time I see Stahn craft mentioned.

"I just don't get it how plywood and carpet are acceptable materials on a boat?"

- as someone who just went through this process, with the ability to choose between ply/carpet or "alternate materials", I went with marine ply and carpet.

fishing 12 months a year, you want carpet.....ice doesn't work the same on carpet.

in the hot summer on lake O, again, you want carpet.

the wood acts as sound dampners.

you'd be surprised how much better wood/carpet is, if you fish for many species, 12 months a year.