Onboard charger question: Disconnect batteries in parallel before charging?

BillM

I'm pretty sure I don't have to, but I'd like to pick the brains of a few of you that have 2 bank onboard chargers that either charge a 24v system or a 12v system like mine running 2 batteries for extra capacity.. I think I'm going to go with the Guest 10amp 2 bank.

Currently running a 12V system with 2 batteries in parallel for more capacity for my Minn Kota PowerDrive.

Edited by BillM

No problem, Bill. Connect the black of the charger to the negative of one battery and the red of the charger to the positive of the OTHER battery.

Roy, silly question... Would I charge a 24V system the same way? Odds are really good I'll be upgrading the Minn Kota in the near future... If that's the case (Only using 1 bank of the charger to charge both batteries) do I really need a 2 bank?

Terry, I've read that the charger should be able to figure out I've got 2 batteries in parallel, I guess I'll see how things go once I get everything hooked up, lol.

Edited by BillM

Not a silly question Bill. I'm using a 2 bank Guest on my 24volt system. Once the batteries are connected in series, Take the red and black leads and connect them to one battery and the other bank red and black to the other battery. I can PM you a pic of mine if you like. And you'll need a 2 bank of course.

Not a silly question Bill. I'm using a 2 bank Guest on my 24volt system. Once the batteries are connected in series, Take the red and black leads and connect them to one battery and the other bank red and black to the other battery. I can PM you a pic of mine if you like.

I've got the visual floating around in my head, lol! Thanks bud... Looks like a 2 bank is exactly what I need if I plan to upgrade to a 24V system down the road.

Edited by BillM

I've got the visual floating around in my head, lol! Thanks bud... Looks like a 2 bank is exactly what I need if I plan to upgrade to a 24V system down the road.

I have a 24 v trolling motor and two batteries. They are hooked up in "series" - correct?

If so, I have two separate single inboard chargers on my boat and I hooked them up as follows:

The black and red cable of one charger on one battery. Same for other charger.

Sound correct?

Landry

Install went well (Who knew Lund used aluminum instead of plywood) that was a bit of a surprise when drilling the first hole under the passenger console, lol!

I just need to extend the negative lead on bank #1 to run under the floor to the other battery located in front of the driver console..

I have a guest as well.. 2 batteries hooked up 24volt with 2 wires running to the front. So there is a jumper from positive to negative between the batteries. Negative runs from battery 2 to the bow and positive from battery 1 runs to the bow.

My charger handles this no problem. So if your gettng a new Guest charger it can probably handle it. They have pretty good documentation, so the hand book will tell you for sure.

So Bill are you hooking 1 bank up to each battery? If you charge 2 batteries in series with 1 bank instead of 2 it will double your charge time. Im guessing you researched the wiring for running in series but it is different for a 12v than a 24v,with the 24 you wire them parallel not in series, one puts out 12v the other 24v.