Max nunber of lines

hotsky

This came up in another thread, I tried looking for the info and couldn't find anything, in the PDF from MNR on different zones they just mention that there are restrictions but where do I find the details?

It is generally the number of rods that is limited not number of lines.

Many use cheaters on their rod when downrigging which will give two lines but only one rod legally.

Check the exemptions to the general rules for the Zone and particular body of water you will be fishing in.

Unless otherwise specified one rod only.

Ice fishing generally 2 rods but many exemptions of only one rod. Check the exemptions.

From a boat in the Great Lakes generally 2 rods but again check the exemptions. Some area's only allow one rod.

For two rods the main basin of Huron requires you to be trolling but Lake Erie does not require you to be trolling.

Also there is a limit on the number of hooks attached to the rod. Generally 4 hooks but there is exemptions only allowing one hook in places.

Confuzed yet? :unsure:

Edited by Woodsman

I went to the MNR fishing regulations and under Gear Restrictions it states that two lines may be used when trolling in most zones on the great lakes. They remind you to check the zone restrictions on the great lakes where two lines are not permitted. Two lines are fine when ice fishing. If you aren't ice fishing or are not trolling in a great lake zone where two trolling lines are permitted than you can only fish with one line. You may carry more but only one line can be in the water.

I went to the MNR fishing regulations and under Gear Restrictions it states that two lines may be used when trolling in most zones on the great lakes. They remind you to check the zone restrictions on the great lakes where two lines are not permitted. Two lines are fine when ice fishing. If you aren't ice fishing or are not trolling in a great lake zone where two trolling lines are permitted than you can only fish with one line.

Actually it does not state "two lines may be used when trolling in most zones on the great lakes" but does state "Two lines may be used when angling from a boat in parts of the Great Lakes (see exceptions to the general regulations)".

There is a big difference between angling & trolling.

To the best of my knowledge only the main basin of Lake Huron requires you to be trolling to use two rods.

The rules are very simple. It's one rod per licensed angler everywhere whether you're shore fishing or in a boat. By the time you get a large enough boat to fish the Great Lakes, you'll learn very quickly where the two rod rules apply.

So the POOR guy fishing the shores of the Great Lakes is restricted to only 1 rod.....while the wealthy guy with his 35 foot fishing boat is allowed 2 rods while fishing most parts of the Great Lakes......Makes no sense to me...... :dunno:

Edited by Billy Bob

So the POOR guy fishing the shores of the Great Lakes is restricted to only 1 rod.....while the wealthy guy with his 35 foot fishing boat is allowed 2 rods while fishing most parts of the Great Lakes......Makes no sense to me...... :dunno:

Tell the poor guy to get off his ass and get a job, then he can buy a boat and troll 2 lines like the guy with the 35ft'r :)

St Marys from locks to eagle point you can TROLL with 2 lines for walleyes, and there are no size restrictions :thumbsup_anim:

and that area can be fished with a 12' boat...sometimes

Edited by Dara