Bhut Jolokia

Hi everyone. Every year in my small garden I grow a different variety of hot peppers. Last year I grew Carribbean Habenaros. They are kick-ass hot and I use them in salsa and different sauces. This year I saw a plant in the local nursery called the Bhut Jolokia also known as the ghost pepper. They claim its the hottest pepper in the world so I bought a small six inch plant for 7.00 and took it home and planted it. It did nothing for about a month then it took off and is about two feet tall now and has about 10 or so peppers on it and is in full bloom.

Has anyone here ever grown one? I havent been able to find much on the net about this plant except the dummies that eat them whole and wither in pain. I need info on how to take care of it, what does it like and dislike etc. I plan on taking it indoors for the winter and putting it back in the garden next year because it is a cool looking plant but it takes about 8 to 10 months to mature and our season is to short. Any help with growing and transplanting would be appreciated. I am going to make some ghost pepper infused vodka for ceasers this fall, can't wait. Thanks in advance. Mike.

Ps. Anyone want to try one when there ready.

Yer playing with fire my friend. While a common thought that the habanero is the hottest, or at least very hot it can't shake a stick at the ghost pepper.

habaneros average around 150,000 on the scoville scale, pretty hot considering a red pepper is a 0.

but the ghost pepper runs 900,000-1.1 million on the scoville scale..and is arguably the hottest on the planet..

commercial pepper sprays are in the 700,000 range.

I can't see any value in their use for cooking or seasoning foods. anything past a habanero, or maybe a scothch bonnet is just blow your head off nasty!

ill pass on the peppers enjoy the ceasar!

I enjoy hot peps as much as the next guy, but the Bhut is just silly. If youre going to do a sauce, dont leave it in to stew. Itll be pretty much inedible to anyone exept maybe Superman or the Hulk.

Edit: that being said, im intrigued...

Edited by Jigger

That sounds like a burning ring of fire in the morning lol.

I though it was bad after drinking a bunch of beer with eating poppers and other spicy foods, that would be torture lol.

Very cool though. I would be interested in trying it as I love spicy foods and Caesars.

the ghost pepper has as much to do with spicy food as atomic bombs do to firecrackers..

It will taste like a mouth full of mace..but im intrigued as well...had some experience with a similar pepper the 'naga' and small tastes of the skin with a little flesh attached induced bizarre consequences including vomiting and praying for death.

the rumour is the pepper actually has some sort of woody or smoky flavor but who could tell?? cause anyone that ever ate one thru themselves off a building to stop the pain.

I'm a huge hot sauce fan. I make my own sauces. Everything from a mild jalapeno sauce to a scorching scotch bonnet sauce. Last year dad grew me a couple Bhut Jolokia plants. I got the seeds from ebay from a guy in Hamilton.

I made a sauce out of them.....By far the hottest sauce I've ever made!! A teaspoon in a large pot of chilli makes it unedible for the average person! I can only handle a little bit of it! I bring it out at parties when someones running there mouth about how they like hot stuff and my other sauses aren't hot enough! Always good for a laugh!

As far as growing it...it has the same likes and dislikes as the Habenaros you grew last year. Treat it like any pepper plant. The ones my dad grew never turned red. Most were light green at the end of the season. Some had a slight orange tinge. However they were still very hot!!! I can't imagine what a fully rip Bhut Jolokia would be like!!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

I have some hot sauce made from both habaneros and naga jolokia peppers.

Definitely the hottest stuff I've ever tried. It's the hottest of the "Blair's" commercial sauces.

Is the Bhut Jolokia hotter that the Naga ?

I'd love to grow some of these myself and make my own hot sauce.

The peppers on my plant are in the light green stage now, and will turn red as they ripen. They will also get hotter. I will definitely be keeping some for seeds this fall since they seem quite hard to get.Carp, I think the Naga is the same thing just a different dialect. I could be wrong.This plant grows 4 or 5 feet tall and yields hundreds of peppers but it would have to be a few years old before it would yield this amount.Another idea is to make some infused cooking oils super bowl chili and good old salsa. I guess I will use it in very small amounts to get the heat factor right.

I tried one of my habenaros last summer and it was stupid hot and I was sweating and tears and a runny nose I felt the heat for about an hour at least, milk didn't put out the sizzle either. The ghost pepper is about 3 times hotter. A hot pepper freak told me the best thing to eat to put out the sizzle is a banana or a shot of olive oil, carbonated drinks make it worse.

As a chef have made many stews with scotch bonnets, habaneros, etc. The thing is not to let them puncture or break.

They will flavour nicely and add heat but as soon as they open, break or puncture the food becomes inedible.

These Bhut Jokoia would be similiar, don't cut or puncture unless you like the extremely hot excitement.

As a chef have made many stews with scotch bonnets, habaneros, etc. The thing is not to let them puncture or break.

They will flavour nicely and add heat but as soon as they open, break or puncture the food becomes inedible.

These Bhut Jokoia would be similiar, don't cut or puncture unless you like the extremely hot excitement.

Jeez, I miss read that as “extremely hot excrement”

rolleyes.gif

reminded me of a video i saw recently. always though the ghost was the hottest of peppers, until i watched this. i think you either have to be clinically insane or have absolutely no nerve endings, taste buds, etc in your mouth to attempt this. Nutz - http://www.thestar.com/videozone/1224007--eating-the-world-s-hottest-pepper :stretcher:

i'm growing red and green chilies, and your standard hot banana's - that's about as far as i go.

Me and my pops have always had fun using various peppers to make sauces etc. My Dad grows alot of varieties for sauces etc as well (dried habenaro in olives is awesome!!!!). Anyhow, over the years you really get used to the heat, and actually I really enjoy it. I'll spice up almost any food just to try.

Last year I tried this pepper (it was fresh, not dried) and I ate a piece about the same size as a dime. The heat doesn't last as long as some other peppers (at least imo), but the first 5 minutes or so really induce panic, like omg I'm going to die type of panic. It's very hard to breath, cause as if its not hot enough, when you breath in it feels like what I'd imagine breathing in a flame feel like.

I'd eat em again in a sauce for sure, just has to be the right proportion, thats all. That dime sized piece was probably about perfect for a large crockpot of spaghetti sauce.

I lol'd at alot of the youtube videos, thats pretty cruel to give that to someone thats not used to the heat. If that was me, you'd be getting a beatdown in that situation

There are now DNA enhanced peppers hitting 2.5 to 3 million on the Scoville scale. There is a reason for the extreme gagging and vomit. It's your body's natural defence mechanism to a noxious or dangerous substance.

I like heat. I grow a wide variety of hot peppers up to 400,000 SC, but food should have flavour.

The Bhuts are awesome, I haven't grown them but I buy them regularly, I used to grow the Mexican super red hots and they were hot.

I also like the hot sauces with 357, Daves ultimate insanity and Ass in hell being a few of my faves.

My buddy and I have hot wing contests(maybe a few beers involved) and the Bhuts are pretty crazy for heat. You kinda feel a body numb for a day after.. :w00t::clapping:

so you are telling me you apply these peppers or their sauce to food and eat it? chefs that use this stuff wear safety glasses and gloves, sometimes respirators.

in one of my cooking gigs i made alot of wings in a chicken joint. A brave soul once wrote in the order ticket "give it to me hot i can take it"...we let him have it!!

He leaned down, took a deep breath and almost lost it - his whole face went red and his eyes started watering...the waitress that carried the tray out needed a glass of water and had to go outside to cool off...

IF you guys can stomach anything past a bonnet or habanero I AM IMPRESSED!! and just a little disgusted...

Edited by smally21

so you are telling me you apply these peppers or their sauce to food and eat it? chefs that use this stuff wear safety glasses and gloves, sometimes respirators.

in one of my cooking gigs i made alot of wings in a chicken joint. A brave soul once wrote in the order ticket "give it to me hot i can take it"...we let him have it!!

He leaned down, took a deep breath and almost lost it - his whole face went red and his eyes started watering...the waitress that carried the tray out needed a glass of water and had to go outside to cool off...

IF you guys can stomach anything past a bonnet or habanero I AM IMPRESSED!! and just a little disgusted...

The Daves insanity, 357 and Ass sauces are applied, during cooking, one drop at a time. Any more and it's overpowering, but at that rate it's very flavorful and adds just the right amount of heat to make you sweat and hyperventilate a bit...lol

My wife and kids won't go near it.

As far as Bhuts, or any other pepper for that matter, bring it on, I'm a well seasoned hot stuff eater.

I put 4 bhuts into a sauce for hot wings and while it burned my face off, I loved it.

Some can handle it, some can't.

I got the hottest wings made at Wild Wings, was warned by the waitress and then pounded them back like nothing, the next day was a bit different though :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Well actually I am growing Ghost pepper plants right now...have 6 pots of them in different stages also have tons of habanero, jalapeno, scorpion etc. ...first year doing the ghost pepper...done all the "regular" (jalapeno, habanero etc.) many times, but wanted to try what is rated the hottest pepper out there...I've read Indian army is using them to make bombs for dispersing demonstrators...Anyhow...ghost pepper plants love hot weather and lots of humidity...good rich compost soil and that is pretty much all...I also give them half a hand full of bone meal and Drammatic "K" Liquid Fish with Kelp every 2 weeks. Mine are loaded with peppers and keep blooming and getting more and more pods...see the picture bellow...can't wait to see them fully ripen by end of season...I am going to be keeping them all indoors in winter and bringing them back out next spring. Peppers are perennial plants. Friend of mine gave me couple small jars of hot pepper oil...consisting of mixture of ghost pepper seeds and regular chilly pepper...this thing rocks...love the taste of it...so I've decided next year to make my own sauce...can't wait to see how it turns out.

WP_000291.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman