GM has Good News for Ontario

Billy Bob

The Oshawa center's employment has more than doubled since 2009 to 275 workers

90% of which are likely minimum wage jobs no good for anyone save high school students. I bet there's plenty of ex-union GM workers stocking shelves in there too. I know I've met a few.

I'm no economist, but I can't fathom why GM needs public money for 'R & D' [lol!] after a record profit year. It's already painfully obviously that they have full intentions to cut wages and ruin the power of CAW, so why is there a need to throw millions of tax dollars towards the issue?

We truly are governed by incompetent, corporate shills. :wallbash:

90% of which are likely minimum wage jobs no good for anyone save high school students. I bet there's plenty of ex-union GM workers stocking shelves in there too. I know I've met a few.

I'm no economist, but I can't fathom why GM needs public money for 'R & D' [lol!] after a record profit year. It's already painfully obviously that they have full intentions to cut wages and ruin the power of CAW, so why is there a need to throw millions of tax dollars towards the issue?

We truly are governed by incompetent, corporate shills. :wallbash:

Yes, why do we (taxpayers=government)have to keep pounding money in there. If they are not self sufficient and can't make a decent profit to fund themselves, then let them sink. You don't see everyone else getting handouts.

the "power" of the CAW is minimal, if any, these days.

they show that on a frequent basis.

wages can only be "cut" to standard market wages. Not below. If market wages are lower than they once were, well, then that's what the job is worth now.

the "power" of the CAW is minimal, if any, these days.

they show that on a frequent basis.

wages can only be "cut" to standard market wages. Not below. If market wages are lower than they once were, well, then that's what the job is worth now.

I agree! I work for a non-union automotive plant that is in-sequence with GM, and I can assure you my wages are lower than what most would call 'market standard' and their's are clearly higher.

It's just frustrating to see where the term 'market standard' is heading in the western world, given that I'm at wits end trying to get into the industry I spent 2 years in college for.

I'm tired of hearing companies like GM going to the government with cap in hand. You end up with another Massey-Ferguson. A company that lives off 30 years of subsidy, and could no longer stand on it's own. They finally shut their doors in the 70's when Ottawa turned off the money taps.

Banks, Automakers, Investment houses, Lobbies, Governmental Dept and Ministry Fiasco's , etc.........I could go on and on!!! White Collar Crime !! Its a shame really. The last GM jobs Dalton helped usher in were a token because the ones they recently sent to Detroit were slated to be chopped during that said ushering.

I am totally against any private entity bailout at the expense of the taxpayers simply because it isn't any Governments money to take. If I take money that isn't mine, without asking its rightful owner, it is considered "STEALING!!!!!!!!!" The more important and disturbing fact is that no lawmaker in North America has even batted an eyelash. Oh they might talk a good game of pomp and circumstance but that's just what it is.Would the same luxury be afforded to U and I? Highly unlikely.

I ask the most important question I can think of. "What am I, or better yet, WE, going to do about it? It is really simple. Push Back. With the collective power WE all share as "One", WE can change a way of thinking and in turn build a better future. Cause after all, we are all just visitors here and how would we like it if someone left us this mess of an inheritance ?

It might be time we pushed back a bit before we are summarily thrown from the cliff.

Just my .02c. Taxes in.

Moxie.

GM should have been allowed to folds up a few years ago. IMO and yes I do work in automotive...

They need all of OUR government tax dollars so they can expand in other countries... Sad :o

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lvl5Gan69Wo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm tired of hearing companies like GM going to the government with cap in hand. You end up with another Massey-Ferguson. A company that lives off 30 years of subsidy, and could no longer stand on it's own. They finally shut their doors in the 70's when Ottawa turned off the money taps.

Amen

:whistling: If you read further into the story you will find that the R@D actually does not create any "New" jobs its all for university grants and exciting departments are spared for a couple more years.

Funny other "foreign" car manufactures are expanding in Ontario while GM is reducing?

I also don't believe in giving corporations tax dollars......but think of the money spent on BILLIONAIRES so you can have a sports team locate in your city.......Buffalo is negotiating with the Buffalo Bills as I peck away here......they are asking for $220 MILLION in stadium remodelling AGAIN....and they pay NO RENT whatsoever.....and when the owner dies (93 years old now) the team will be sold and probably moved...maybe to Toronto.