What is the best 2pc rod for all around use??

I could not agree more, St. Croix makes a great product..nothing to complain about. It is an apples and oranges comparison though to this custom piece..really quite shocking.

x2

I have a medium action 7' St. Croix Avid that I use as a good generalist. If you pair that rod with a 6' or 5'6" ultralight then you have a good spectrum covered.

I think all of my rods but one are St. Croix and I really find the sensitivity to be much greater than many others I have tried.

I'll tell you one rod to avoid, the Shimano Izumi signature rods from Canadian Tire! Done get me wrong, they are actually really nice rods for $70...when they aren't broken! I broke two this year! Got one replace under warranty and then went with a Quantum Resource (same price).

If you don't mind shelling out a few bucks, I cant say enough good things about Kistler rods!

Well, I said I would post some pics and feedback after some solid use of my newly acquired Spiel rod. So here it is..

I mentioned previously..while I was waiting for the Spiel rod, I bought a St. Croix Premier. During the time between that purchase and the completion of my custom rod I fished quite a bit and simply fell in love with the St. Croix, light, super sensitive..does everything well, best rod I had ever used. Until my Spiel rod showed up. I would not consider myself an easy customer to please from an expectations prespective, so when people mentioned the insanely high quality of his product numerous times and I heard all these promises about performance, I took it with a large grain of salt.. I was just not sure it would be that much better than the St. Croix. I spent 13 straight hours on the boat saturday fishing pike and bass using every manner of bait and lures with my new custom rod and I will simply NEVER buy a pre-built rod again. The Spiel custom rod changes everything. All the esthetics aside, this rod is considerably lighter..easily 25% than the st. Croix, it is easily twice as sensitive..I can feel every paddle tail flip and jig tail swirl, every weed my lures bump and casts waaaaay nicer. Your hands and wrist never get tired..I could have fished another 3 hours easily. It takes fishing to whole new level. I had my premier with me on another pfluger reel, as I usually bring two rods fishing, by the end of the day I was not even bothering to use it. This rod makes my St. Croix feel like I am fishing with an Ugly stick. I have several more large days of fishing coming up.. so if anything changes I will be sure to report it back here. My advice to anyone with a new rod in mind is spend the extra money and get the quality piece from Spiel..worth every penny.

HFP

That's some high praise, but I have to agree. Spiels rods are pretty hard to beat.

I have been a long time shimano guy with dozens of shimano rod and reel purchase from there top of the line to the lower end stuff... but to be honestI have become a real big fan of the St.Croix Premier's. Excellent rods for the price. I have two of them, and I fish Bass tournaments again next year, I'll likely be selling off my shimano stuff in the spring. I also have a nice G.Loomis but its balance just feels a bit off for my liking.

Since I don't know the price of the spiel rod you bought, but it sounds like its a fair bit more than a premier(not a high end rod by any means) Its really hard to compare the two. I have a cumar that blows the Gloomis and the premier out of the water in terms of weight and sensitivty, however since I bring at least a dozen rods with me every time I go fishing, cost is a factor. I can't and wouldn't compare a Cumara to a Premier, no more than I would compare a Convergence to an Avid.

I would say that in the 95-120 dollar price range a St.Croix Premier is one the best out there. If I was going over 200(and I have several that are), so far for me the cumare is the most sensitive hands down.

Edited by jedimaster

I love my new Compres but for longevity I've got a Daiwa Swinger rod Light action that I have used for almost 40 years. This little spinning rod has handled everything from panfish to a 41 " Northern and still is solid. Don't make them like they used to. Still use it with my Shimano Saros spinning reel.

I'll tell you one rod to avoid, the Shimano Izumi signature rods from Canadian Tire! Done get me wrong, they are actually really nice rods for $70...when they aren't broken! I broke two this year! Got one replace under warranty and then went with a Quantum Resource (same price).

:\ I bought one of these this year for walleye and brook trout. So far, I love it (especially the shades of blue used on it... mmm, pretty). I've yet to break any rod, so hopefully I have better luck than you.

:\ I bought one of these this year for walleye and brook trout. So far, I love it (especially the shades of blue used on it... mmm, pretty). I've yet to break any rod, so hopefully I have better luck than you.

Believe it or not I have one those Izumi signature rods from CTC. Bought it some 25 years ago on short notice for a trip into Lake Kipawa.

It's 6' 8"s, rated for 10 to 20lb and I've abused the hell out of this rod over the years and it's still good to go, no complaints!

Believe it or not I have one those Izumi signature rods from CTC. Bought it some 25 years ago on short notice for a trip into Lake Kipawa.

It's 6' 8"s, rated for 10 to 20lb and I've abused the hell out of this rod over the years and it's still good to go, no complaints!

Me tooooooo man. The blue Bob Izumi. Rated 8-14lb. 6'5" medium spinning. I sadly broke it in the garage this spring but it had seen more abuse than any other rod I've owned. One trip to Attawapiskat I broke the tip on a med-heavy Loomis spinning rod first day, then second day wrecked the worm gear in my baitcaster and all I was left with for the trip was the Bob rod. Well HOLY SMOKES!!! It tamed giant gators and chucked 12-inch inline muskie bucktails all week and still rocked on. Wished I hadn't broke it, should have retired it.

I don't know or care what anyone else is using ,i have fished around southern Ontario all my life AND HAVE NEVER used anything but a 71/2ft UGLY STICK.That old pole of mine has ripped many lips...............no breakage

If you want to spend your money.............about $40.......wally world...........pease:Gonefishing:

Edited by moira river rat

I don't know or care what anyone else is using ,i have fished around southern Ontario all my life AND HAVE NEVER used anything but a 71/2ft UGLY STICK.That old pole of mine has ripped many lips...............no breakage

If you want to spend your money.............about $40.......wally world...........pease:Gonefishing:

Well I'm pleased your happy with it, it certainly fits the bill for most occasional weekend anglers who've never experienced quality rods.

Now that was freakin funny, but now im starting to visualize that, and its scary funny, hope you give the old girl time to catch her breath.

Hell yeah...I put her into a full tub of water, grab her by the ankles, little back and forth action and shes good for another round.

Altogether now...." Hit me with your Uglee stick........Fire Away".....

Edited by wall i

Regardless of rod, get one with a lifetime warranty. St.Croix Avid would probably fit the bill just fine in that price range.

Yes and no... performance wise the difference between the premier line ( 3 year warranty) and Avid lineup is not discernable day to day. For the lifetime warranty you are paying a premium in cost. Personally, I have never broken a rod in my 50 years of fishing .....I treat them well. However, I have had rods broken....son Alex guilty on multiple accounts. I made the mistake...especially before coffee in the morn of saying....yeah take the friggin thing out to the shore and cast....thinking I can gulp some caffeine and come to life in peace b4 he gets back...well aint been that way. Comes back in more pieces than it left in...snags....pike reeled in to the snap lock.....blah......blah.

Point is, unless your son is named ALEX, and if you havent gotten onto care of your rod thing (case it up) then pay for the warranty coverage. As for me the Premier line is fine. The companies have built the cost of insurance into lifetime warranty.. they do the math ...do you? They know that after the 1st breakeage most are too embarrassed to submit again. In essense, you paid for the replacement of the rod upfront..My point..if you take care of your rods dont pay a premium for the lifetime insurance as performance differential is not there. The jump in performance is from $50 to say $120......beyond that...your paying insurance up front. Ok goodnight I hear Ruth whining.

Edited by wall i

Yes and no... performance wise the difference between the premier line ( 3 year warranty) and Avid lineup is not discernable day to day. For the lifetime warranty you are paying a premium in cost. Personally, I have never broken a rod in my 50 years of fishing .....I treat them well. However, I have had rods broken....son Alex guilty on multiple accounts. I made the mistake...especially before coffee in the morn of saying....yeah take the friggin thing out to the shore and cast....thinking I can gulp some caffeine and come to life in peace b4 he gets back...well aint been that way. Comes back in more pieces than it left in...snags....pike reeled in to the snap lock.....blah......blah.

Point is, unless your son is named ALEX, and if you havent gotten onto care of your rod thing (case it up) then pay for the warranty coverage. As for me the Premier line is fine. The companys have built the cost of insurance into lifetime warranty.. they do the math ...do you? They know that after the 1st breakeage you are too embarrassed to submit again. In essense, you paid for the replacement of 1 rod upfront..My point..if you are mature enuff to take of your rods dont pay a premium for the lifetime insurance as performance differential is not there. The jump in performance is from $50 to say $120......beyond that...your paying insurance up front. Ok goodnight I hear Ruth whining.

There's a big difference between an Avid and the Premier lines... I suggest you pick one up and fish it... I snapped an Avid last year while fishing plastics for big pike in the spring, broke about 5 inches above the handle (Gave me a nice bloody lip at the same time).. Packed it up, shipped it to St.Croix and I had a new rod inside of 3 weeks. Why would I buy anything else with service like that?

You're also making quite a big assumption that because someone broke their rod, they must not be takimng care of it, or lack some sort of maturity..... I'll cut you some slack though, old timers rarely ever change their minds :)

I'll also send this rod back if it breaks again, what's there to be embarrassed about? 'Sorry St.Croix, I snapped my rod in a big snake, please don't laugh at me'... LOL!!!

Edited by BillM

I said it earlier in the thread, and I'll say it again:

uglystik.png