Tubing behind a Bass Boat

Stoty

Well... part of the "deal" for me to get a bass boat, was that I would purchase the setup to be able to two a tube behind it (on RARE occassions).

Yes, I know what you are all thinking... and believe me... I cringe at the thought of pulling a tube with a bass boat as well! :wallbash:

But, a deal is a deal so I am in the market to purchase a tube and tow rope.

I've done some research and it seems that a lot of people just use the tie down hooks at the back of the boat to tow with.

Does anyone have any experience with towing this way?

They've all pretty much mentioned having a "float" on the "Y" rope to keep it elevated enough to stay clear of the engine.

I'm completely new to this towing stuff, so any recommendations on tubes/ropes/tow kits etc would be much appreciated!

Hey Stoty you're right, a deals a deal. But I'd use the trolling motor and 5 minutes later I'd have my boat back!thumbsup_anim.gif

I got bugged as well to try tubing behind the boat. Unfortunately(for them) I really have no way of connecting a tube rope without purchasing a tripod gizmo and bolting it to the rear deck...that's not gonna happen. There are cleats at the back but they're hardly strong enough to pull a tube. I've heard a couple horror stories already about the damage(to people) from snapping ropes, etc. dunno.gif

Hey Stoty you're right, a deals a deal. But I'd use the trolling motor and 5 minutes later I'd have my boat back!

I like the way you think!!! LOL

Ya, there's a tripod thingy that can go inside the rear seat mount, but apparently those are for skiing, and would either snap or rip the deck apart if you try to pull a tube behind it. I guess that's why most people opt with the tie downs instead. I'll make sure to get a rope that WELL above the recommended strength.

I'm more worried about it getting caught in the prop... not sure which setup to go with.

Sorry about that, I couldn't resist.

The only thing useful I would add is that your bass boat will hunker down pretty good when pulling a tube up on plane. If you tie down to the back then the rope will likely be under water. Same goes for skiing. It can be done but it will be hard for the skier to stand up. I would think seriously about getting a high 5 prop a fair number of pitch inches below what you run while skiing. This will help you to get out of the water and get the person out of the water.

I used to do a fair bit of towing toys behind my bowrider, and I ran a 19inch prop normally and a 15 inch prop while tubing. I tied down to the "o" boats on the transom with a "Y" harness and a float. Never had an issue with the motor chewing up the rope.

Ya, there's a tripod thingy that can go inside the rear seat mount, but apparently those are for skiing, and would either snap or rip the deck apart if you try to pull a tube behind it. I guess that's why most people opt with the tie downs instead. I'll make sure to get a rope that WELL above the recommended strength.

I'm more worried about it getting caught in the prop... not sure which setup to go with.

Make sure you get a floating tow rope and then there will be no need to worry about the prop. ;)

I have a nice 3 person tube that I was going to list on Kijiji.

PM me if your intersted. It's in decent shape.

Tubes are expensive, so if your only going to use it once in a blue moon, why spend a ton of money! I'll give you a smokin deal.

I've been using one of these for years without a problem behind my boat.

Tow Demon Tow Harness

A good floating rope off of the harness to the tube and you should be good to go. Always have someone at the back of the boat to keep an eye on the rope as it feeds out and be your spotter as well. Hours of fun to cut into your fishing time. :D Luckily for me it only happens a couple of times a year. Good on ya for keeping your end of the deal.

From what i have heard about your boat, you could tow a moose onto plane, no problem.

LOL - ya she'll move that's for sure!

I've been using one of these for years without a problem behind my boat.

Tow Demon Tow Harness

A good floating rope off of the harness to the tube and you should be good to go. Always have someone at the back of the boat to keep an eye on the rope as it feeds out and be your spotter as well. Hours of fun to cut into your fishing time. :D Luckily for me it only happens a couple of times a year. Good on ya for keeping your end of the deal.

Sweet, thanks very much for the link! At least I kinda know what to look for now! I'm hoping that Cabela's or Bass Pro have a sale on while I'm in Michigan next week.

Yes, it WILL only be happening a couple times a year! hahaha

Dude I have took people boarding in my 37 foot Tollycraft , 2 440 chrysler's , lots of pull , I just tie the ropes off to the side cleats and away we go ...

Oh ya 300$ an 1/2 hour in gas is a little much but ??? I may be old but fun is fun . And boarding in a six foot roster tail , what the hell can it get any better ..

Edited by capt bruce

Dude I have took people boarding in my 37 foot Tollycraft , 2 440 chrysler's , lots of pull , I just tie the ropes off to the side cleats and away we go ...

Oh ya 300$ an 1/2 hour in gas is a little much but ??? I may be old but fun is fun . And boarding in a six foot roster tail , what the hell can it get any better ..

To be young and foolish again,eh Bruce. :clapping:

I just tie the ropes off to the side cleats and away we go ...

My cleats are very short ones, because it has built in auto-retracting ropes to tie off the boat with that are quite thin, so the cleats don't need to be as high as normal ones.

The only things that are strong enough (and large enough) to tie a tow rope to are the tie down hooks at the back.

Edited by Stoty

Hey Stoty, I'd be inclined to use that skiing pole mount. Any decent slalom skier worth their salt will put more strain on that spot than you can get yanking a tube. Having spent a few summers getting paid to teach skiing and yank kids/teens/adults around on evertything from tubes and skies to kites, 6 person pyramids and barefooters etc, I feel pretty confident if it's rated for a skier, it'll handle the tube. :thumbsup_anim:

I tried towing skiers behind my Ranger last year, it did not work very well, as I had too much power for them to come out of the hole properly. As well, the transom would go a bit too low for my liking. I was pulling from the tie down eyes.

take it from someone with a neck broke in 2 locations...do NOT tow a tube behind a bass boat..the speed it takes to plane a bassboat can be way too much for a tube

speeds reached when turning easily lauches a tube coming off at those speeds cause major injuries

no more than 20 mph is recommend...

sorry if i sound against it.....i'm not ..but pls be careful..