electric start for Suzuki

wormdunker

Good morning fellow fishers. I haven't been posting recently due to heavy work load, finally got on the water for the first time this past week end. I recently purchased a used 14' Lund with a 30 hp Suzuki. Boat & motor is awesome. Motor starts & runs very good. It has the capability of installing electric start. I enquired with a dealer here in Sudbury & was astonished to find it would cost in the neighbourhood of $2,000.00. WOW! Can anybody help me with a better solution. Your comments/ suggestions are appreciated. I can purchase a brand new Merc 25hp 4 stroke, electric start for $3,500.00 The boat is very fast with the 30hp. Top speed is 29 mph. So a 25 hp would be fine. On a side note I fished 3 days on 2 lakes north of Sudbury. Walleye were on fire! Everybody in camp was catching. I landed 14 in the range of 14" - 18", one was over 22" weighed 3 lbs., & a 3 lb pike. The smaller guys were released, kept only 4 for the frying pan.

When I bought my 30hp Suzuki in 1990 or 1991, I was quoted just under a grand to convert it to electric start. Two grand is a little higher than I would expect but is not too far out of line after accounting for ~20 years of inflation.

Unless you can get lucky and find a scrapped motor that has a working starter, alternator, and the starting switch; it probably isn't worth converting your motor. My 30hp wasn't too hard to start manually. If you are set on electric start you are probably better off selling the motor and buying an electric start motor.

I see alot of mercs on the water, r they really that bad??

I drove a Merc for 9 years then sold it to a bud and it's still going strong, infact it's been flawless for 12 years.

There are 2 reasons the electric start conversion is spendy.

1/ Labour charges (probably in the 3-5 hour range)

2/ It's more than just sticking an electric starter motor and key switch in there.

There is a full charging system for the battery plus wiring for the starter and charging system.