Another Great Day on LAKE ERIE

Billy Bob

My fishing buddy Don called me when he heard I was back from Washington, DC......but this time he had a hankering for some walleye fishing.....I said SURE....I know a couple good spots that usually produce walleyes but more in 2-3 weeks.....but I said let's give it a try because the water temps are up and it will be a perfect day if the winds don't get too bad today.....

So Don shows up early in the morning and my fishing boat is all hooked on from last night raring to go......

We head out of Buffalo, NY and actually head just over the boarder to my favorite walleye spot to DRIFT FISH with worm harnesses.....

On the first drift and cast........BINGO a 19" walleye for the box.....didn't finish the drift and I had another one exactly the same size.....then a real nice smally......just over 4 lbs.....and then NOTHING.....and more NOTHING and MORE NOTHING.......

I said to Don...."I have many more spots on this spot to try....so we fired up the outboard and moved maybe 1/2 mile to more rock piles that I have accumulated over the years on my GPS....

And this spot was GOLDEN.....we couldn't keep them there walleyes off our lines........in a total of 3.25 hours we limited out with 12 walleyes.....the largest maybe 5.5 - 6 lbs plus one nice size perch for the box....sometimes you can't do anything right......and once in a GREAT while you can't do anything wrong..... :thumbsup_anim: ...today we won that battle.... :)

LakeErieWalleye6-28-12001.jpg

LakeErieWalleye6-28-12002.jpg

thats great bob - while some will likely disagree, jigging and drifting walleye on this side of lake erie is unproductive, mostly trolling and rigging..

well done

Smallie......been there done that......I fish HARD for several years in Walleye tournaments.....place 5 years in a row.......but I no longer enjoy that fishing.......I would actually call it harvesting......VERY PRODUCTIVE don't get me wrong....but the boat does all the catching......you just do the reeling in.....I am older now......and this is much more relaxing....and most times not as productive.......but I no longer care.

Bob

i wish we did have a spot around here where we could drift and jig walters...good spots just arent along the north shore or outside of the longpoint spit.

there are some better places outside of maitland where you might do better. id rather not deal with all the gear, and the engine running...

i wish we did have a spot around here where we could drift and jig walters...good spots just arent along the north shore or outside of the longpoint spit.

there are some better places outside of maitland where you might do better. id rather not deal with all the gear, and the engine running...

I know of a few guys that do really well out of burwell/bruce drifting the only problem is with erie to get a good drift means it's rough and they can be hard to find without covering water most of these guys troll until they find a school and then jig right on top of them

Your outlook on fishing for erie "yellows" mimics mine 100%. i would much prefer a nice erie drift to pick these guys up than dipseys or even worse, downriggers. Ive never set myself up with any trolling equipment based on that. Having said thet, Ive been fishing out of the same launches as you for years and just havent ever found a productive way to drift for these fish. I must admit however, that i probably havent given it the effort needed. One of these days i hope to have a day like yours with rod in hand, feeling the fish pick up a harness and fighting the fish the way they should be fought. With my arms, not the boat motor :)

If i ever see ya at the harbor.........throw a fellow american a bone LMAO

Your outlook on fishing for erie "yellows" mimics mine 100%. i would much prefer a nice erie drift to pick these guys up than dipseys or even worse, downriggers. Ive never set myself up with any trolling equipment based on that. Having said thet, Ive been fishing out of the same launches as you for years and just havent ever found a productive way to drift for these fish. I must admit however, that i probably havent given it the effort needed. One of these days i hope to have a day like yours with rod in hand, feeling the fish pick up a harness and fighting the fish the way they should be fought. With my arms, not the boat motor :)

If i ever see ya at the harbor.........throw a fellow american a bone LMAO

No problem.......maybe we can get out together someday in the future.....the bite in the Buffalo end has just started.... :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, great catch there Billy :thumbsup_anim: Farmin??? How many sheepies did ya get :rofl2:

Actually my partner Don caught the only one.....I caught 7 walleyes and that one bass....but I did lose at least 5 walleyes on the way in...grrrr...LOL.....

We limited out with a double header on the last drift....I said to Don, we are going to get a double header to end the day and it ended just like that... :)

I know of a few guys that do really well out of burwell/bruce drifting the only problem is with erie to get a good drift means it's rough and they can be hard to find without covering water most of these guys troll until they find a school and then jig right on top of them

Luckily down this end of the lake we have a lot of structure inside of 60 foot deep, so you know where the fish will be, after 60 it flattens out so you need to travel a mile out to pick up 2-3 foot of depth

Actually my partner Don caught the only one.....I caught 7 walleyes and that one bass....but I did lose at least 5 walleyes on the way in...grrrr...LOL.....

We limited out with a double header on the last drift....I said to Don, we are going to get a double header to end the day and it ended just like that... :)

Very interesting, only one, there goes my strategy of tryin to outrun them by trolling :wallbash: