Algonquin checklist

ehg

Hi,

Finally have the opportunity to go to Algonquin Park for 4 day stay.

Haven't been there since 1995 due to marriage, kids, work and then disability.

A couple of buddies are putting in effort to get me up there and now looks like a go.

Used to go up a few times a year in past and going down Petawawa R. was the fave.

Luckily can drive to launch on lake there and have tinny and 9.9 for fishing fun.

Just curious if anyone can suggest good foods to pack and necessary tips or items that might be overlooked.

No portaging will occur due to my inability to walk well.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Starbucks instant coffee. It also happens to be on sale at my local Superstore, so hopefully that's chain wide.

That is a good thought. Thanks.

Beer and canned ham while maybe funny...

Be sure to read up on the special regs for Algonquin Park as you are not allowed to bring metal or glass containers in certain areas. Not sure if this only applies to backwoods areas or if it applies to all "boat to" sites as well.

Flat breads and Mr. Noodles were our main staples when we did the back country trips. Knorr instant potatoes we found to be of the best for any instant potatoes. Substituted additional butter for the milk and added extra water. Any Pepperoni will last for 5 days without being refrigerated. A big treat for us was always the first night in, we would pack in fully cooked sausages. We also had P butter and jam to spread on the flat bread as well. Breakfast would be instant oatmeal. For a treat we once brought in Quaker bannana muffin mix, find one where you only need to add water as the extra ingredient. A double fry pan that fit on top of each other worked great as the "oven". Cooked it half way through and simply flipped it over to heat the other fry pan to finish it off.

Most fruits will last 5 days too.

Nice to hear your getting out Erik! I hope you guys slay 'em!!

S.

Thanks Shayne! Going to give them fish a test for sure.

Be sure to read up on the special regs for Algonquin Park as you are not allowed to bring metal or glass containers in certain areas. Not sure if this only applies to backwoods areas or if it applies to all "boat to" sites as well.

Flat breads and Mr. Noodles were our main staples when we did the back country trips. Knorr instant potatoes we found to be of the best for any instant potatoes. Substituted additional butter for the milk and added extra water. Any Pepperoni will last for 5 days without being refrigerated. A big treat for us was always the first night in, we would pack in fully cooked sausages. We also had P butter and jam to spread on the flat bread as well. Breakfast would be instant oatmeal. For a treat we once brought in Quaker bannana muffin mix, find one where you only need to add water as the extra ingredient. A double fry pan that fit on top of each other worked great as the "oven". Cooked it half way through and simply flipped it over to heat the other fry pan to finish it off.

Most fruits will last 5 days too.

Lots of good suggestions in that reply.

Will surely take those recommendations.

No cans or bottles are going in.

Thanks again!

Cedar Lake you can have cans and bottles at your camp site but you can't take any out in your boat. Pretty well every time I have been there guys would come in from fishing with a nice ticket for having cans or bottles in their boats. Must really suck to watch a warden dump your bottle of Wisers or Capt Morgans in the lake.

Glad to see you're heading up there Erik, have a great trip!

Starbucks instant coffee. It also happens to be on sale at my local Superstore, so hopefully that's chain wide.

PLEASE tell me where! I've only ever bought it at Starbucks where it costs a fortune.

Glad to see you're heading up there Erik, have a great trip!

PLEASE tell me where! I've only ever bought it at Starbucks where it costs a fortune.

Picked up a small pack at Sobey's for our weekend trek. almost 10 bucks for a pack of 8. Ridiculous!!!!

One thing that has worked well for me while in Algonquin is to pre-cook some pasta dishes (Skillet Sensations are my fav) and pour single portions into the vacuum pack bags, seal them shut and freeze them. When ready to eat, just have a pot of water boiling and throw them in for a few mins to heat them up.

Cut off the top and enjoy straight out of the bag!

I'm actually headed to Algonquin from Sat-Wed on another interior trip! Can't wait!!

Thanks to all for well wishes and good info.

Can stand, barely walk but sitting in a boat all day fishing can easily be done. :Gonefishing:

Thank goodness!

All replies have been read and considered for efficient packing.

Things have changed somewhat in 17yrs like instant Starbucks coffee. :thumbsup_anim:

Checking out the lower stretch of Petawawa R.

Edited by ehg

The other way to consider coffee is the way I make coffee. I take the filter holder from an automatic drip coffee maker and filters. Along with Tim Hortons fine grind. Ironically, that is the only thing I don't skimp on when I go camping weather it be to a drive to site or even back packing. Heck even my favourite travel mug would get packed in with this. I use 2 tablespoons of fine grind for 10 oz of water. Boil the water and pour it over the filter and have at it.