Leaf Talk

jedimaster

luongo,I like him but Not for 9 more yrs

Well, like I mentioned earlier it wouldn't be for 9 more years.

No way is the guy going to play that long, he'll be retired long before that contract expires.

Because he signed it prior to turning 35 once he retires the contract doesn't count against the cap.

His cap hit is 5.3 mil, a very reasonable number for an elite starting goalie.

I'll take Lou at 5.3 per for the next 5-6 years any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

This caliber of goalie is not usually available, and under normal circumstances the cost would be way too much.

It's a unique situation that doesn't occur every day and here's hoping Burke can take advantage of it.

The cap hit (per year or term) for bobby-lou really isn't the issue for me. It's what do the leafs trade for him? And what's with the 6 inches between his ears?

I'd really like JP's son in T.O. and he only costs you money, unlike Nash. The problem is, does he want to play here? And will the leafs give him the term that another team might offer him?

JVR for Schenn?!!!!?!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What the hell is Philly smoking there?!?!!

Schenn is completely useless! Talk about a STEAL on JVR!

I was hoping that the Leafs would get something as good as a used puck bag or some new black tape for Schenn! :rofl2:

thing about luongo also is when the new CBA starts how/what kind of effect then will his contract have? pretty sure they are going to put a stop on these loooong contracts and/or make them honour them

luongo/erhoff/izgazlov and not to mention kovlachuk either (not spelt right and not looking up correct names...lol)

I do like luongo he is a top 5 goalie but I also have high hopes for reimer still call me crazy

I think louong for 2 years as a starter, take the heat off of reimer, and let him grow, then have lou backup for 3 more years while he fades away to retirement. Reimer can grow himself and find his game. He has talent, he needs to grow. With luongo the leafs will be good in goal for about 5-10 years. Presumming reimer pans out.

Then you have scrivens you can use topick up a draft pick at trade deadline for a team making a run without a backup.

I am not too sure what I would give up for luongo, maybe even scrivens and a draft pick for luongo, vancouver will need a backup for schnieder.

As for center, thats the big question mark in toronto as I think Luo is a lock. I would really like to see parise, but I don't think he will play here. I think nash is more likely. However that still leaves center open. I really think IF nash came here, both him and JVR would be tested on Center, and if that doesn't work then Burke will be shopping from a center around deadline day. I really wish he would have shelled out the coins for Richards.

I do like luongo he is a top 5 goalie but I also have high hopes for reimer still call me crazy

You're crazy.

Luongo will go to Florida. Fair weather and family ties - and a much better chance of making the playoffs. wink.gif Plus, the Panthers have more to offer in trades as well as a ton more cap space than the Leafs.

Burke better get cracking on a goalie deal, because unless they've made significant strides over last season, Reimer/Scrivens ain't going to cut it.

Edited by jigsnreels

Thanks for saying the truth!!,I really don't know what they can do for a quick fix.

this has been the leafs problem for so many years!!! :angry: its that mentality from fans and media that has pushed so many GM's in leaf land to make dumb moves to try and jumpstart a contender. they sell the future for some veterans hoping they can get the leafs in the playoffs.

but when burke unloads all those contracts and wasted roster spots, and starts getting young talent and they start drafting and developing players, then u all cry that they arent moving forward and they need to "solve the problems" by trading those players and getting guys like nash and luongo for a quick fix.

the marlies went to the calder cup finals, they had an excellant season, were a top team in the league and showed that the leafs were on the right track, developing players. burke has made some great moves. im not thrilled with the schenn deal, but kessel was a good pick up. 30+ goals each year for the leafs since being here, moved out all the big contracts he was left with, got lupol, gardiner, colborne, franson. the players they have drafted are all coming along very well and will only continue to improve.

if being an NHL GM was easy.,.. everyone would have the job.

Bringing in Luongo for the right deal, doesn't put us back at all. Reimer can't carry the team with the defense as sucky as it is for a whole season, he needs help for a few years. Of coure noone woul de happy to sell the farm to get luongo.

Bringing in Luongo for the right deal, doesn't put us back at all. Reimer can't carry the team with the defense as sucky as it is for a whole season, he needs help for a few years. Of coure noone woul de happy to sell the farm to get luongo.

luongo wont help them either if theres no defense. keep in mind, it was a lack of defense that cost vancouver the cup 2 years ago, and ousted them from the playoffs this year. luongo let in bad goals, every goalie does, but without the guys in front of you playing.... the goalie wont make much of a difference. reimer can carry this team, and he will. trading anyone for a goalie would be stupid, its a waste of a player. if u want a veteran to back up, sign someone via free agency. u dont need to get a 5 mil a yer guy like luongo to back up and mentor a young goalie. u get a vet with solid mechanics and fundimentals. dont need to be the winningest goalie of all time, just needs to have a good head on his shoulders to show the kids the way to be a professional. and, as far as kids go, especially goalies.... good luck finding a more mature, level headed one the reimer.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Toronto Maple Leafs have reportedly made an offer for Jonathan Bernier.

In Toronto, Bernier would likely compete with James Reimer for the starting job and cost Ben Scrivens a roster spot. Bernier would give the Leafs another promising, but ultimately unproven young goaltender. Bernier wants to leave Los Angeles and Toronto would be a much better opportunity for him, but he might not be worth the cost for the Leafs. What the Leafs really lack when it comes to goaltending is an established and relatively safe starter. Bernier might develop into a great netminder, but he certainly doesn't fit into that category yet."

IMO this would be a bad move... discuss amongst yourselves...

How can anyone criticise a rumoured trade when no one knows what the Leafs would be giving up?

Seriously :rolleyes:

Because regardless of what they give up, the last thing the leafs need is another young unproven goalie so why even trade for one?

Edited by Trouty

Because regardless of what they give up, the last thing the leafs need is another young unproven goalie so why even trade for one?

He has an obvious upside.

If the return was reasonable what's the problem?

There's not that many options floating around out there.

There are a couple options though... ones that wouldn't cost them a player...

Huet, Cristobal » G CHI 36 $5,625,000 2012 (UFA) Roloson, Dwayne » G TBL 42 $3,500,000 2012 (UFA) Niittymaki, Antero » G SAN 32 $2,000,000 2012 (UFA) Ellis, Dan » G ANA 32 $1,500,000 2012 (UFA) Tarkki, Iiro » G ANA 27 $1,325,000 2012 (UFA) Auld, Alex » G OTT 31 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA) Modig, Mattias » G PIT 25 $875,000 2012 (UFA) Cann, Trevor » G COL 23 $875,000 2012 (UFA) Sexsmith, Tyson » G SAN 23 $830,556 2012 (UFA) Cheverie, Marc » G PIT 25 $803,500 2012 (UFA) Backlund, Johan » G PHI 30 $800,000 2012 (UFA) Pielmeier, Timo » G NJD 23 $766,667 2012 (UFA) Conklin, Ty » G DET 36 $750,000 2012 (UFA) Raycroft, Andrew » G DAL 32 $650,000 2012 (UFA) Sanford, Curtis » G CLB 32 $600,000 2012 (UFA) Johnson, Brent » G PIT 35 $600,000 2012 (UFA) Turco, Marty » G BOS 36 $600,000 2012 (UFA) Pogge, Justin » G PHO 26 $575,000 2012 (UFA) Climie, Matt » G VAN 29 $525,000 2012 (UFA) Hunwick, Shawn » G CLB 25 $525,000 2012 (UFA) Grahame, John » G NYI 36 $525,000 2012 (UFA) Caron, Sebastien » G NAS 32 $525,000 2012 (UFA)