Umbrella Rig

TJQ

Well with just a few more sleeps until the opening of bass fishing season throughout much of southern Ontario, thousands of bass anglers are anxious to begin fishing for their favorite species once again. Bass are typically the last species to open … and for many, it has been a long wait since their season closed November 30th 2011 (in Lake Simcoe and throughout the rest of Fisheries Management Zone 16).

This year many anglers will be eager to try a relatively new rig while pursuing bass in Ontario. There was some debate among these anglers as to how legal this rig was, so we have developed the attached fact sheet to help set the record straight for recreational anglers. This MNR fact sheet can be distributed as you like or readers can check it out on the MNR site (by week’s end) at www.mnr.gov.on.ca and typing in the words Umbrella Rig under the search engine.

The Umbrella Rig Quick Facts:

· The Umbrella rig, also known as the Alabama rig, was used to win a large bass fishing tournament in Alabama in October 2011. This is now one of the most sought-after pieces of tackle in the bass-fishing community both here in Ontario and throughout the United States.

· The rig consists of a hard body with a line-tie followed by five wire strands in a fan design, each with a snap swivel at the end. Anglers can attach a variety of lures to each swivel for a look that is meant to imitate a school of baitfish.

· In Ontario, it is illegal to fish with a line that has more than four hooks attached. The original Alabama rig with five hooks or lures attached is not permitted for use in the province, but one modified to four strands or arms to accommodate only four hooks is allowed.

SLAR-1.jpg

I attach mine to at least 5 feet of flourocarbon for those line sensitive bass.;)

Beauty!

I'm going to put one of those down on the riggers the next time I'm out in Lake O, lol!

make sure you use siwash hooks!

The arms held up to some nice pike, not sure about a salmon though.... lol

Edited by Harrison

I doubt there will be a single bass boat on the water this year without one on board. outside of those fishing the CSFL. Personally I am happy about this, I finally found a good way to rig my banjo minnow kit.

Edited by jedimaster

I doubt there will be a single bass boat on the water this year without one on board. outside of those fishing the CSFL. Personally I am happy about this, I finally found a good way to rig my banjo minnow kit.

I think people fail to realize that this technique was most successful at targetting deeper suspended bass... Not to say that it will be the only application...

I'd say that the guys that love fishing matted cover more than anything(Myself included) will have a lot of learning to do before throwing it at a tourney.

I think people fail to realize that this technique was most successful at targetting deeper suspended bass... Not to say that it will be the only application...

I'd say that the guys that love fishing matted cover more than anything(Myself included) will have a lot of learning to do before throwing it at a tourney.

I agree, but these are not new lures. Perch anglers on Simcoe have fished them for as long as I can remember. I admit I just never gave them another thought.

But now, especially since I have fished them, I can see how they will be a great new tool to use. If it wasn't for the hype I would probably never given them another thought. Same applies for other biats including the gizit(tube), buzzbait or senko.

The hype is based on the Elias win on a deep water fishery. But having used the rig - deep weed edges, breaklines, humps, and weed flats as easily fishable with it and quite proficiently I might add.

Hope to get the rig on film this weekend, if I do I'll get the video up.

As for fishing matted cover, if you punched the rig on a fishes head you wouldn't need to set the hook, you'd just knock it out! :)

Edited by Harrison