this is unbelievable...

iFish4real

I just got the July issue of Ontario Out of Doors magazine and I read this article on page 12 called Licensing Privacy Risk saying that Ontario's licensing information is being stored outside the country, when you call MNR to purchase licenses you can hear a message about this but I've never really paid attention to it...this is quoted from the magazine: "Currently, Active Outdoors, a US-based company, administers Ontario's licensing, game-tag allocations and information collecting"

I don't know what you guys think about this and I hope nobody feels offended, but to me...it's retarded :wallbash:

I hear ya.... I agree that it should be stored inside Ontario.

Let's make a trade..... Leafs 1st and 2nd rd picks for all of our stored info back!

They're bound to trade them for USELESS players... at least we'd get something USEFUL back! :w00t:

It's all about competitive bidding for government services. If Active Outdoors submitted the lowest bid to the MNR for info admin services, and they can do the job as well as anyone else, then they get the contract, and I'm fine with that. After all, we're all ultimately paying for the service with our tax dollars, so if it keeps costs down and keeps our information secure at the same time, then it's all good.

We start to get into problems when we see non-competitive contracts go out for government projects, and we end up with things like skate shacks for the Rideau Canal that cost $750,000 each...

We've discussed this before and I don't see what difference it makes.

Its just a computer server anyways.I was surprised to find out that the a/c units in most government and many public offices are controlled by computers and people in Navada and South Americadunno.gif

Everybody in India has your home phone number and your bill payment history. Even Rachid called me yesterday to warn me that the freezer I bought at Sears is about to run out of waranty. His cousin Dipti asked him to remind me that I should also be looking to upgrade my life insurance.

yes of course competitive bidding...but what would you say if Canada would allow the imports of meat from China, India, wherever...it would be a lot cheaper right??? ...but it would kill Canadian farming industry and I would turn vegetarian :P

And btw, if government makes some savings like this it doesn't mean they will tax you less :P

It's all about competitive bidding for government services. If Active Outdoors submitted the lowest bid to the MNR for info admin services, and they can do the job as well as anyone else, then they get the contract, and I'm fine with that. After all, we're all ultimately paying for the service with our tax dollars, so if it keeps costs down and keeps our information secure at the same time, then it's all good.

We start to get into problems when we see non-competitive contracts go out for government projects, and we end up with things like skate shacks for the Rideau Canal that cost $750,000 each...

Edited by iFish4real

There is a little piece of legislation in the US of A called the Patriot Act which can put the privacy of Canadian's personal information at risk.

The US govt can access any Canadian's personal information if that information is outsourced to a US company.

If the MNR is outsourcing to a US based company and one of our names happens to match a name on the 'watch list' any info stored by that company can be accessed.

On a side note, anyone traveling into or through the US carrying a smartphone or laptop can have the memory and hard drives searched by US officials without the right to refuse.

There is a little piece of legislation in the US of A called the Patriot Act which can put the privacy of Canadian's personal information at risk.

The US govt can access any Canadian's personal information if that information is outsourced to a US company.

If the MNR is outsourcing to a US based company and one of our names happens to match a name on the 'watch list' any info stored by that company can be accessed.

On a side note, anyone traveling into or through the US carrying a smartphone or laptop can have the memory and hard drives searched by US officials without the right to refuse.

Conspiracy theory aside, what are you so worried about?

but you willl (if it applies to you, insert name) go on a fishing forum talk about home insurance, boat tax, incomes, family history, tax returns, marriage and divorce, sickness, colonoscopy results, death/birth in the family, lost job, got a job, want a job, got a ticket, neighbours dog barks, secret coleslaw recipe, etc.

and then get freaked out cuz some yank knows yer address. :dunno:

Edited by smally21

Personally I don't care who knows I hunt. The stickers on my car take care of that. As for the choice of using American resources, yah that part bothers me. Keep it in Canada if possible. I am pretty certain a Canadian company could do it.

Stand up and be counted or hide in the closet? I choose to be counted. I work and live smack in the GTA, 80 percent of my coworkers are liberal females. Every single one knows I fish and hunt. I have even taken a few fishing, and several want to come up with me to shoot some guns when I do some sighting in this fall.

Edited by jedimaster

Stand up and be counted or hide in the closet? I choose to be counted. I work and live smack in the GTA, 80 percent of my coworkers are liberal females. Every single one knows I fish and hunt. I have even taken a few fishing, and several want to come up with me to shoot some guns when I do some sighting in this fall.

They want to learn to shoot,so they can protect themselves. :rofl2:

but you willl (if it applies to you, insert name) go on a fishing forum talk about home insurance, boat tax, incomes, family history, tax returns, marriage and divorce, sickness, colonoscopy results, death/birth in the family, lost job, got a job, want a job, got a ticket, neighbours dog barks, secret coleslaw recipe, etc.

and then get freaked out cuz some yank knows yer address. :dunno:

Shush. ohmy.gif I'm after that secret coleslaw recipe?