Setting the Hook

Sawyer

Thank you for sharing your thoughts guys.

I'm more in line with the hook set techniques that MJL and manitoubass2 shared - sweeping hook set. Perhaps my technique is attributed to lure selection, fishing location, and equipment.

As most of you know, bass opener is this weekend and can't wait! I will be thinking about this post as I hook (hopefully) and land (hopefully!!) some fish.

Best,

Sawyer

If it is a fishing show then it may be just for show. rolleyes.gif

I fishing show host made a presentation at a club meeting a few years ago. I did mention that "hook sets" are sometimes filmed at the end of the day with a big muskie lure on. Although I guess it is not really a hook set if there is no fish involved.

I did mention that "hook sets" are sometimes filmed at the end of the day with a big muskie lure on.

From the same guys that fished out of season, and re-hooked fish, and fished in a sanctuary???? :whistling:

Fishing Senkos on a settled line, the line moves as if a pulse just ran through it. Thats a fish for sure, tighten up a little and with a flick of the wrist, a new bass season begins! Guess that puts me at about a 1 on the scale in that scenario.

Windswept point, bass are moving and the spinnerbait hits the water. Crank 1,2,3 times. Pop it and... Something is wrong(right) BOOM!! A new bass season begins. 8-9 on the scale.

The first cast is to the deeper waters around this beauty. People will rip up with the big motor and go right to fishing the skinny stuff. But i know this spot. So i cast to the 20ft mark and the walking bait lands with a splash. Its true what they say about topwaters. It sits there, rings dissapearing, until a slurpy takes it under...easy sweep and WEIGHT... 4-5 on the sweep scale.

Im a little exited and have to go rifle through some tackle about now...

A buddy if mine was a guide for a long time. Some of the stuff he'd told me, half of your guys wouldn't believe. Catching fish, putting the bait of the day on, re-hooking the fish, releasing it back into the water in order for the host to reel it in... But hey, it makes for great TV!!!

Fishing Senkos on a settled line, the line moves as if a pulse just ran through it. Thats a fish for sure, tighten up a little and with a flick of the wrist, a new bass season begins! Guess that puts me at about a 1 on the scale in that scenario.

Windswept point, bass are moving and the spinnerbait hits the water. Crank 1,2,3 times. Pop it and... Something is wrong(right) BOOM!! A new bass season begins. 8-9 on the scale.

The first cast is to the deeper waters around this beauty. People will rip up with the big motor and go right to fishing the skinny stuff. But i know this spot. So i cast to the 20ft mark and the walking bait lands with a splash. Its true what they say about topwaters. It sits there, rings dissapearing, until a slurpy takes it under...easy sweep and WEIGHT... 4-5 on the sweep scale.

Im a little exited and have to go rifle through some tackle about now...

I can't believe how excited I am. I'll have my 11 year-old with me, who loves to fish, and I've found two incredible-looking spots I've never fished before. Oh yes, there will be walkers!:thumbsup_anim: Not to derail the thread......

Edited by backbay

Some of the best real hooksets I've seen are from that vertical musky jigging video someone posted a while ago. Bondy if I remember was the guys name.

good.gif

Heading up to Arnprior for my Annual Bass opener trip with my Brother.This year along with the secret plastics fished texas rigged, i will be bringing my new found Spinnerbait skills, and my Drop shot setup.

I will for sure, reserve a part of the day for some cranks too.

B A double S.....Gonefishing.gif Big ole Bass !!!!

I just finished watching a couple of bass fishing shows on WFN. The shows are firing me up for the much anticipated bass opener!

The one thing that I found in common with the shows (except all the bass their catching) was that the hosts and their guests excessively exaggerate the hook set motion. I certainly don't set the hook that way but do understand the importance of a good hook set.

I suspect that it's all about TV and those hook sets give an impression of a substantial fish at the end of the line.

What are your thoughts? How would you rate your hook set from 1 to 10? 1 being light while 10 being aggressive (like the TV shows).

-Sawyer

For bass, I like to set the hook hard and I mean hard, as there's no tomorrow :lol: so to rate my hook set... I give myself a 15 :o you can call me RAMBO ;):lol: very seldom have I missed a fish :)

From the same guys that fished out of season, and re-hooked fish, and fished in a sanctuary???? :whistling:

I would prefer not to mention who... but no, it was not those two.

I sure that they all get a little creative with their editing. I remember seeing a vidio, I think it may have been posted here, where the reel kept alternating between open face and bait caster during what was supposedly fighting one fish.

Fishing the slop with a 5 inch flippin tube and a 5/0 EWG,50lb braid and a heavy action 7ft rod. I watch the line if I see any movement in the line its 2 or 3 cranks to tighten the line then BAM set the hook straight up with a factor of 10. Get the fish on top and its all over in seconds.

When vertical jigging, feel the tap or some weight reel down and its just a quick snap of the wrist. factor of 4

Cranks its just a simple sweep set. factor of 5

I don't care how hard a guy sets the hook, just be "QUIET", could be me in the other boat trying to catch a few ZZZZZZZS in between fish. :whistling::rofl2: Mans got to have his rest from the night before. :thumbsup_anim:

:thumbsup_anim: That should of been my excuse Saturday Dave.LMAO

I wittnessed some real nice hooksets that day as well,all that was left was line,flowing in the wind. :tease:

Lots of good points, and if this was already mentioned sorry I missed it.

Hooks are also better now.

Just like the rods and reels, hooks are stronger but thinner. Coupled with super lines the need for a big hook set might not be as necessary, but old habits are hard to change.

I still like the 10plus hook set when the fish are in the heavy wood. I figure it starts getting them out before they know what's going on. And just like swinging a bat speed is often more important then strength. :Gonefishing:

Kickingfrog, I hear you on the wood, especially at the end of a long pitch. Saw a small chunk way up on the bank. If you watch close you can see we set at the same time and Rocky almost takes my head off ;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yrm1UpvjxQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Harrison