Rigging 7" senkos

just curious how those of you who use 7" senkos rig them up.

i usually use the 5" rigged wacky style using a rubber ring on a weedless gamagatsu hook

does anybody fish the 7" wacky style? if so, what kind of hook do you use on it?

or are you limited to texas rigging or carolina rigging these big baits?

im thinking its gonna be hard to get a solid hook up unless youre using a big enough hook for these

Edited by Boss

I use them wacky style with a rubber ring as you would with the 5", as for the hook i use a trokar hook, i don't know the model but they're the smallest they carry, i think, they come in a few different sizes. They work great for big, lazy largies.

I throw these, both weighted (3/16) and unweighted. I use a 7/0 EWG hook, and modified Texas rig.

When I put the hook vertically through the head, I try and exit about 1.5" from down the bait and finish like normal.

This is not the most durable way to hook them, as the line will end up slicing trough the 1.5" at the top, but it gives it an amazing action. On the descent, the head of the bait will actually wiggle a bit, along with the tail. when your twitching or using the rise-fall method, you can really take advantage of the wobbly head.

I use them wacky style with a rubber ring as you would with the 5", as for the hook i use a trokar hook, i don't know the model but they're the smallest they carry, i think, they come in a few different sizes. They work great for big, lazy largies.

where do you find a rubber ring large enough?

im surprised the small hook you use works well, i was thinking something bigger would be better

Hey you can just buy the rings and use the inside of an old pen as the tool. You could even use dental elastics instead of the rings. :)

That's what I used to use but the elastics are too stretchy and I find they slid off the hook or break too easily but it's a great idea if you wan to save some money :thumbsup_anim:

Heres what I found effective.

Thread the worm on a #1 hook.Right down to about an inch from the tail end.(yes the worm will be on the line) No weight. Pierce the hook in the back of the worm.Let the worm just scewrm down slowly. I love doing this in lilly pads.it,s deadly.

I throw these, both weighted (3/16) and unweighted. I use a 7/0 EWG hook, and modified Texas rig.

When I put the hook vertically through the head, I try and exit about 1.5" from down the bait and finish like normal.

This is not the most durable way to hook them, as the line will end up slicing trough the 1.5" at the top, but it gives it an amazing action. On the descent, the head of the bait will actually wiggle a bit, along with the tail. when your twitching or using the rise-fall method, you can really take advantage of the wobbly head.

Uh oh, it's the start of a new bass craze! Wobbly Heading, bwahahaha.

Some great suggestions in this thread for sure. I've used various methods/hooks etc, and I actually prefer to "wacky rig" on a light jig head (walleye jig or roundhead jig)

I fish them all the time, I always use Owner 2\0 weedless wacky worm hooks.

just curious how those of you who use 7" senkos rig them up.

i usually use the 5" rigged wacky style using a rubber ring on a weedless gamagatsu hook

does anybody fish the 7" wacky style? if so, what kind of hook do you use on it?

or are you limited to texas rigging or carolina rigging these big baits?

im thinking its gonna be hard to get a solid hook up unless youre using a big enough hook for these

I must say, I think we should start a thread for every style of bait and have you guys comment on how to use them with different techniques!

I absolutely loved the spinnerbait thread, and it gave me confidence to throw them for pike, needless to say the pike fishing has never been better! I have learned a bunch from the lipless crank thread, and now this? Love it!

I wish I could give some advice to help out but my fishing techniques are lacking

Edited by d_paluch

Doing some googling i came across this page Yamamoto Baits for Mexico

these guys use zip ties as a O-ring on their 7" senkos

gyb-mexico-12.jpg

Dr. Rogelio Villarreal, a renowned Mexican trophy bass hunter fishes mainly with the wacky rigged 7-inch Senko for trophies. Rogelio advises that, "Traditional Texas-rigged Senkos (either weightless or weighted) produce huge amount of good quality bass, but it's the wacky presentation that tends to produce the true giants."

"There are 'wacky tools' on the market which are devices to place a rubber O-ring around the middle of a Senko so you do not impale the hook directly to the lure, and this makes the Senko last much longer. Problem is, these devices are too small to use with the bigger 7-inch Senko or the big Kut Tails. But the resourceful Mexican anglers have found a simpler, adjustable cable tie-wrap works superbly, and they only cost pennies apiece," reveals Rogelio.

"With the hook in the middle, both ends of the Senko seem to have increased action when you shake your rod tip. This is usually a weightless technique, and it can be deadly," says Gary Yamamoto.