Fishing banned in GTA parks ?

Lunker777

I took this from another forum....

The signs went up June 6. Fishing Prohibited. Local Anglers are fighting it through the media right now. Google it, lend a hand, who knows it could be your city next.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1209731--toronto-anglers-baffled-by-sudden-fishing-ban-on-waterfront

http://www.globaltoronto.com/Pages/MorningSegment.aspx?id=6442659112

http://nationalprostaff.com/report/2542/Petition++Say+No+to+the+City+of+Toronto+banning+Fishing+on+its+waterfronts

It is a shame they banned fishing in parks paid for and maintained by tax payers. Is this a case of slob fishermen leaving their garbage behind for others to clean up ?

I dont think its the case.... according to one article, " An older couple were disrupted on there walk by a fisherman casting" and " a paddle boat got tangled up with a fishermans line"

Unreal...

I dont think its the case.... according to one article, " An older couple were disrupted on there walk by a fisherman casting" and " a paddle boat got tangled up with a fishermans line"

Unreal...

That's funny, we just had a complaint recently in Windsor about someone fishing in one of our riverfront parks interfering with a couple walking in the park as well. The circumstances are strangely similar. Over the years we've had people complain about bike riders and roller bladers, but no one called for a ban. I hope we don't see this spreading to other communities. We have always had a lot of people fishing in our parks and it's never been a big issue. I hope they can turn this around after all, public means public!

Edited by Rolly

the ford brothers have two votes on council and i'd be VERY surprised if they were the ones that introduced this. mayhaps look at adam vaughn (speculating) or another one of his ilk.

Edited by Raf

One of the articles I found stated that the ban was the result of 7 complaints over a three year period.

Maybe that older couple are the parents of the Ford brothers? whistling.gif

It couldn't be. If I was one of the parents, I wouldn't be out walking in public lol!

To keep up the riding and walking trails take a lot more to maintain than "A normal" fisherman walking to a bank and throwing a line in. I stress the"normal leave the area better than you found it angler". Having said that I almost think were a minority.

Unreal...

Hmmm. You'd think the elderly couple and paddle boater should've gotten charged for interfering with an angler.

Maybe we should try and get elderly pedestrians and recreational boaters banned.

Edited by bigreddog

Here's my response on a facebook page dedicated to fight this idiotic move. Facebook page

I suspect some wealthy Toronto waterfront boat owners are using their friends on Toronto's City Council and Management Staff to impose this ridiculous fishing ban.

Why stop with waterfront fishing. How about banning boating, jet skis, surfing, sail boarding, sailing, scuba diving, swimming, snorkeling, sun tanning, jogging, dog walking, sports activities, family gatherings and barbeques, baby strollers, roller blades, skate boards, bicycles, tricycles, walking, breathing, etc.

If anything, fishing should be encouraged all across the Toronto waterfront. Anglers support area businesses and spend millions of dollars. Daily boat launch users also pay user fees, which in my opinion is ridiculous as well. Do all the above activities pay fees to use the parks and waterfront ? Why are boat launch users singled out ? Waive the launching fees and I'll bet you'll see even more cash injection into the local economy. Don't keep restricting and banning people from public areas that their tax dollars paid for. Allow ALL people to enjoy the parks, trails and waterways, not just a select few.

Along with many friends and family, I await the city council decision on this matter. We will be looking specifically for councillors who support this fishing ban and pass on the information. The internet is a wonderful tool to inform people of issues like this and help them vote accordingly in the next election.

The problem IMO is that this sets a precedent for other cities and towns. I can see the Simcoe shoreline in Barrie and Innisfil going next.

It started when we let them stop the spring bear hunt, then continued with the access road closures :clapping:

"Budget Chief Mike Del Grande demanded to know why the no-fishing signs were posted last week.

Parks general manager Jim Hart said a member of staff had a half a dozen complaints about shoreline fishing over the last number of years.

“The nature of the complaints were people fishing off the boardwalk and casting behind them while people were walking by, a line going over a boat and hitting a boater ... some seniors walking by were afraid of the lures,” Hart said."

6 complaints over the last number of years apparently deserves a ban. :rofl2: