Quinte Dock fishing

This weekend my buddy and I were headed out to see some friends in Kingston on Saturday. One of my other hobbies other then fishing is modifying nerf guns to shoot obscene distances and shooting my buddies (kinda like paintball but cheaper). So one of my buddies was holding one of these get togethers in Kingston and decided to invite a few of us from Mississauga.

The guy I'm going with says "Want to grab the fishing rods and fish off my dads dock on quinte on the way home?" He didn't have to ask me twice.

So we go to the get together, not that many people came out, which gave us an excuse to leave early, around 6ish. We hadn't planned on doing anything fancy so we just decided to throw a few worms off the dock in about 10 feet of water and see what hit.

Right from the get-go the bite was on. Lots of good eating size perch, and bluegill, a few white perch and a few of these guys.

quintecrappie.jpg

This was probabally the smallest one and a really bad photo but the fish were hitting so hard we didn't want to stop to take pictures of anything but trophies, and we didn't keep any for dinner because we were headed back to Mississauga. Another night.

A few good size bass which were quickly released and told to grow bigger before opener.

So its getting right before sunset and my buddy moves to another section of the dock (his dock is freaking huge) and says to me that he has something huge. I figure 'sure sure its probabally a 5 pound pike or something to that extent" as I look over and see this fish make a huge pull and almost pull my buddy into the water. He runs to the end of the dock and the fight is on.

Now, I've been fishing ever since I've been about 5, caught my share of big fish, nothing huge mind you, but I've never seen anything make a run quite like this fish did. It just kept going and going and going to the point where I asked my buddy "You have lots of line on your reel right?" after what seemed like a good 5 minutes but was probabally more like 2 my buddy and I decide that he has to risk it and tighten the drag, if he doesn't this fish is going to spool him, so a few clicks later and this fish finally had to start working to make those runs. My buddy starts bringing in this fish pumping the rod and reeling in while I'm coaching him and cheering him on from the sides.

About 15 minutes later we get this monster up onto the dock.

quintedrum.jpg

Now, to give perspective, my buddy who caught and is posing with the fish is a 6'4 personal trainer. This drum makes him look tiny. The scale says it was 15 pounds but I feel like the scale wasn't giving the correct reading, it looks more like 20 to me.

All in all I am in love with the bay of Quinte. Its like a fish factory in there. 9 different species of fish were caught on hook and line and that was without us catching a single pike or walleye. As an aside, watching that drum fight I now have a new favourite fish. thumbsup_anim.gif

Great story, sounds like a night to remember! I think I would've opted to spend the whole weekend on the dock thumbsup_anim.gif

'Haha it was hard not to call in sick for work the next day. Sadly, my job is 'if I don't do it, it doesn't get done.'

Thanks for the praise guys. I was telling my buddy today, he knows that I have a rolledex of good fish stories but it takes a really good story to be added to my repitoire. This story will definatally be added to the list.