Our Algonquin (mis)Adventure

ccmtcanada

Back in February, fishnsled asked if I'd be interested in a camping weekend up in Algonquin for the Muskie opener. The plan was to head up Friday morning...fish for walleye that day/evening and then hunt muskies on the Saturday opener! The plan was that fishnsled and I would use my boat...take my 30hp off and put his 9.9hp on. We got a 12 foot tinny and 9.9 motor for Ken and Louis to use, but we had to pick it up on the way on Lake Scugog.

We got a late start on the Friday...the rain was coming down. It was looking like a drencher of a weekend for sure! Anyhow, we didn't end up meeting to pick up the 12 footer until 1030ish. We went down to the water to get the boat...carried it up to the car and the roof racks were 2 inches too short!! We had to MacGyver a solution. Using some longer poles, huge plastic zip ties and good ole duct tape, we got it all rigged up!

01maguyver.jpg

It may not look pretty...but this was solid and worked perfectly!

02boat.jpg

Off we we went...leaving at around noon...already soaking wet to start a weekend that had rain in the forecast the whole time we were there. At least we had the fishing to look forward to! At around 530ish, we finally entered the park...

03arrived.jpg

About half way to the lake we were going to, we encountered a little obstacle in the road!

04tree.jpg

Finally...at 630ish we were at the launch. Thankfully, we were able to launch my boat from the trailer....instead of having to pick it up off the trailer and into the lake. Here's the 12 footer...fully loaded and ready to find our site out on the lake.

05loadingup.jpg

Ken was off first, and I followed about 10 minutes later. When we caught up with him, his motor had stalled and we couldn't get it started again, so I towed him to the beach with a site on it. Luckily, it was a good site and we unloaded all the gear. I headed back to pick up fishnsled, got the rest of the gear and it was close to 8pm already.

Here's our home away from home...

06tents.jpg

07site.jpg

I wondered where the full shower/bath facilities were...being a provincial park and all. I followed the path and found this...

09outhosue.jpg

It was actually more than I expected! I was expecting to find a good log to sit on. LOL

Unfortunately, it was already dark...and with all the deadheads spotted in the water on the way over, we didn't dare a night fish. Again...we hoped the fishing would be on fire Saturday!

It absolutely POURED rain overnight...and heavy winds...so sleep was difficult. By the time morning came, everything was totally soaked...including the inside of part of my tent. At least we'd have a full day of fishing ahead...with dreams of a big muskie or two...or maybe a bunch of eater sized walleye! We were on the water by 8ish...and fished hard. Fishnsled and I trolled around...using my fishfinder to see what kind of structure there was and trolled...covering lots of water. The other boat marked fish and tried jigging. We came in around 11ish...empty handed...and decided to have some lunch. We walked around our campsite and beach and saw relatively fresh bear prints! Here's one where it dug up some turtle eggs...you can see the claw marks in the far side of the hole.

10bearprint.jpg

08boats.jpg

After lunch, we headed back out to some areas we thought would be good for jigging. All fishnsled and I managed to scare up was a couple of catfish :wallbash:

16fish.jpg

17fish.jpg

18fish.jpg

We stayed out til past 6pm...trying everything and came up with nothing else. By the time we went back to camp, the other guys were already in and making dinner. We asked them how they did and they didn't catch a single thing! We were a little lucky in that it didn't rain the whole time...it actually was sunny for stretches at a time with just short lived light showers that came through. Here's my boat in the dying sunlight...

14asunset.jpg

After a roaring campfire Saturday night, we retired thinking of a morning fish before packing up and heading home. We all slept in...too late for a morning fish, so we ate breakfast and broke down camp. We were hoping to be on the road by noon so we aimed for that. Here's Fishnsled with the first load to be taken to the launch.

15packingup.jpg

We took the loads over and as I pulled in, I wondered where his truck was. I beached the boat and he said "My truck wont start". Nothing we could do would get it started so we had to figure out how to get everyone home. We hitched my boat to Ken's Santa Fe...put the 12 footer on the roof and headed to the camp entrance. Only problem was he was running out of gas! It was going to be close!! We got to the park entrance where there is cell service and fishnsled called CAA. They didn't have gas there...the next station was 20km down the road. The fuel light had already been on for a while, so we had no idea it we'd make it or not! Just as we pulled around a corner, the car started to hesitate when the gas pedal was pressed...but there was the gas station! We pulled in literally on fumes! LOL.

Fishnsled was left behind as the rest of us headed up. After dropping us of, Ken turned around and went back to Bancroft to get him...they didn't get in til 2am.

So, between rigging up the roof racks, to the weather, to the truck not starting.....to the lack of fish, boat motor problems and lack of fish, I still had an amazing time out there with the guys! Thanks for everything guys...we made it back in one piece! Lots of laughs, a few drinks and good times all around.

Edited by ccmt

Nice job on the report Cliff. It certainly was a misadventure that has lasted most of this week (actually still going on) with trying to get everyone's stuff back to them, trip back to Bancroft to pick up the truck, still have to go to Lindsay to return the rest of Bill's stuff this weekend, back to your place Cliff to grab the motor and whatever else I left behind, found something else of yours yesterday. lol!. A lot of work for a day of fishing, let's book an extra day next time. lol! Had a great time regardless of the misadventures and will have stories for years to come.

Gotta say, this is yet another in a long line of great reports here on OFC ! Great pictures and I feel for you what with the rain, truck that wouldn't start, running out of gas etc.. Not to mention old bruin and his digging ! That beach looked really nice though (Lake Txxxx I presume), too bad the weather and fishing didn't co-operate.

thanks for the enjoyable read Cliff :clapping:

All those things went wrong and I wasn't there...LOL

I am almost glad to see I am not the only one that has things go wrong..but no not glad

still I am sure it was an adventure and that's what it's all about

good report

Edited by Terry

sometimes the toughest ones to live through are the ones we remember the best, Great report: I have cetainly had more than a few "long-wet-wont-work" weekends - they make the best campfire stories next year(s)

Regardless of the misadventures that's my kind of trip!

Cliff, lake Travers is kind of tough...shallow with some nice sand beaches though.

The best destination for a motorboat trip in the park for warmwater species is by far Cedar lake. Next time drive the little bit extra to Brent. MUCH nicer lake, really classic campsites and waaaay better fishing.

The way I see it, you can either go back there again and it will be beyond perfect, as you have wrung all the bad luck out of it....or you will go back there and never be heard from again! whistling.gif

A great report -- glad to see you all made it out safe and sound, with a few more stories to tell.

Regardless of the misadventures that's my kind of trip!

Cliff, lake Travers is kind of tough...shallow with some nice sand beaches though.

The best destination for a motorboat trip in the park for warmwater species is by far Cedar lake. Next time drive the little bit extra to Brent. MUCH nicer lake, really classic campsites and waaaay better fishing.

Good to know Mike! We marked TONS of fish...just couldn't get them to bite. I see Cedar has an actual campground...we loved the fact that we only saw one other group on the lake. Does that lake get "busy"? Are there good distances between the sites?

The way I see it, you can either go back there again and it will be beyond perfect, as you have wrung all the bad luck out of it....or you will go back there and never be heard from again! whistling.gif

A great report -- glad to see you all made it out safe and sound, with a few more stories to tell.

Hmmm...not sure what to think given those two scenarios!!! LOL :rofl2:

What, no brown eyed girl!? You guys paid yer dues on that trip... you will receive payback from mother nature down the line... how far down, well that'll be up to the fishing gods...

About time we saw this report! LOL

HH

CCMT,

Yes this is my first post. But I have been lurking here before joining.

Love your report. AP is am awesome place!

Cedar Lake is an excellent spot to camp as well as fish!

My family has been camping at brent for more than 40 years. Personally I havent missed a summer in the past 15 years. The campsites are fairly close together. I would recomend staying on sites 2,3,4,5 and 6. There is a sand beach where you can keep your boat right beside all of these campsites. The outhouse and water tap are right up the hill. There is even a grass feild there to play games if the kids and family went up. Sites 24 and 25 (known as the small beach) is also a great spot if you have a small group. You are nice and far from anyone else in the campground.

We go for two weeks in July every year. Its a great place if you like small mouth fishing, the lake trout fishing is excellent as well. Trolling with lead core, to flat linning to jigging spoons all produces nice eating lakers. The white fish have become harder and harder to come by every year. (not that we spend much time fishing for them) There are two great rivers to fish as well. Pettawa in, Pettawa out. Both produce decent bass fishing, along with the odd catfish and even a Walleye or two. There are numerous walleye in the lake, however they are hard to find in July.

I would strongly recomend going there. Its by far one of my favourite spots to camp and fish, you wont be disapointed.

As far as the lake being busy. You might see two maybe three other boats while you are there. Max horse power for the lake is 20. It is fairly large in size with many options to fish having others around on the lake wont be bothersome at all to you.

Tight Lines, safe travells.

Edited by Luke V.

CCMT,

Yes this is my first post. But I have been lurking here before joining.

Love your report. AP is am awesome place!

Cedar Lake is an excellent spot to camp as well as fish!

My family has been camping at brent for more than 40 years. Personally I havent missed a summer in the past 15 years. The campsites are fairly close together. I would recomend staying on sites 2,3,4,5 and 6. There is a sand beach where you can keep your boat right beside all of these campsites. The outhouse and water tap are right up the hill. There is even a grass feild there to play games if the kids and family went up. Sites 24 and 25 (known as the small beach) is also a great spot if you have a small group. You are nice and far from anyone else in the campground.

We go for two weeks in July every year. Its a great place if you like small mouth fishing, the lake trout fishing is excellent as well. Trolling with lead core, to flat linning to jigging spoons all produces nice eating lakers. The white fish have become harder and harder to come by every year. (not that we spend much time fishing for them) There are two great rivers to fish as well. Pettawa in, Pettawa out. Both produce decent bass fishing, along with the odd catfish and even a Walleye or two. There are numerous walleye in the lake, however they are hard to find in July.

I would strongly recomend going there. Its by far one of my favourite spots to camp and fish, you wont be disapointed.

As far as the lake being busy. You might see two maybe three other boats while you are there. Max horse power for the lake is 20. It is fairly large in size with many options to fish having others around on the lake wont be bothersome at all to you.

Tight Lines, safe travells.

Luke....thanks for the great information you provided there! After doing a bit of web research, it's looking like a great spot...your post just adds to it! Glad you have decided to post here on OFC. I look forward to more from you!