Dealer runaround...need some advice

I spoke with the dealer, got a price on the boat I want with everything I wanted a 150 Merc 4 stroke. Told him I had pre-approved the financing portion I needed and had listed my boat. As soon as it sold I would sign (this was Saturday). He said he had a 150 on a Lund that he could take off for me. He said he would hold it for me.

Sold my boat, called today and they said they no longer have the motor available, but another dealer has one that they can get, but it will be $1,400 more as the other dealer doesn't get the same discounts they do....or they can put a 2 stroke on it, or I can wait 2 months for them to get another one from Mercury. Pretty much said tough luck.

To me this is BAD business....and I no longer have a boat. What would you do?

"buyers are liars" ...... that's a pretty accurate statement in the world of consumer sales, speaking from experience.

If you would have left a $500 deposit... and THEN they sold the motor, you would have a leg to stand on.

As it sits at the moment. The dealer just looked at it as another "tire kicker" and sold the motor to the next buyer...ORRR another salesmen in the dealership sold the boat/motor package and was unaware that the motor was promised to a customer by another salesman. The salesman who dropped the ball and didn't let anyone know he had a hold on the motor!

I would think the latter is the reason why your motor was sold from under you.

Go to another dealership... When your Spending $25-30000 on a new rig. Don't let the dealer tell you what you can have.

I have to agree with Lunker, buyers are liars, that phrase was one of the first things I was told when I got into my line of work. Look at it this way Pete, time to go shopping, guess that one wasn't meant to be. You will probably find a better deal. Funny how things workout sometimes.

Not sure of all the details, but if it were me I would have at least expected a phone call to let me know they were going to sell the motor if I didn't come give a deposit or buy it outright. I'd start to look elsewhere because that is likely the first in a long string of future problems.

give us the dealers name

and we can go and check on buying a boat, will get a price and tell him I just have to check on a boat at another dealer

will call him back and tell him that I decided not to buy from him because of a report on the internet that said the did this to you..so I just can't trust a dealer that would do that to a customer

if six or even of us did that he would sure learn his lesson...

you wouldn't get a boat cheaper from him but pay back is a B

or

get a price that you are happy with from another dealer.... call up the first dealer and tell him if he goes with the original deal you will buy from him if not tomorrow you buy from".."" and tell him the name of the other dealer

sorry terry, money talks Bull walks. i'd have done the same thing if i were the dealer and i don't see anything wrong with what he did -- there was no contract, no money down, nothing.

if i held on to stuff i sell on kijijii for people who said they'd be by to pick it up, i'd never sell anything. show up at my door, cash in hand and it's yours. same idea here.

Edited by Raf

Not sure of all the details, but if it were me I would have at least expected a phone call to let me know they were going to sell the motor if I didn't come give a deposit or buy it outright. I'd start to look elsewhere because that is likely the first in a long string of future problems.

If I were to call EVERY customer that came in and told me " I want that unit, but I have to sell mine first" or something along those lines. I would have a long day at the office.

Like I said, the salesman didn't think you were to serious, and didn't bother to tell the rest of the staff about the deal. Another person came along and bought the package.

Unless you were talking with the sales Manager, or the Dealer principle, there's not much a salesman can do.

It has happened to me before. Recently actually.... Customer came down to look at a Baler we had here on a Saturday. Said he was very interested... even made an offer(which we accepted), BUT wouldn't leave a deposit. He said "I have a couple others I want to look at first"...what the hell?!?!.... the following Monday came and I called him. Said he hadn't been able to look at the other units but would let me know as soon as he did. Well.... the next day, someone came and bought the baler from the Sales Manager, CASH.... What was I suppose to do in that situation ? The customer called me back a couple days later and was upset @ the fact he drove down to look @ our baler and " wanted to think about it" and in the mean time it was sold. Sorry, sir.... but we were prepared to take your offer at the time, but you didn't want to commit.

give us the dealers name

and we can go and check on buying a boat, will get a price and tell him I just have to check on a boat at another dealer

will call him back and tell him that I decided not to buy from him because of a report on the internet that said the did this to you..so I just can't trust a dealer that would do that to a customer

if six or even of us did that he would sure learn his lesson...

you wouldn't get a boat cheaper from him but pay back is a B

or

get a price that you are happy with from another dealer.... call up the first dealer and tell him if he goes with the original deal you will buy from him if not tomorrow you buy from".."" and tell him the name of the other dealer

LOL !!!! You'll really kick him where it hurts after that run-around ! *facepalm*

i think the dealer was in error to tell you he would hold something without paperwork..should know better.

the bigger error would be to not sell your product to the first guy thru the door with MONEY.

what if it took 6 months to sell your boat? is he supposed to hold the motor on good faith til it snows?

on another forum i sell alot of products under a feedback system. #1 feedback rule is if no money changes hands there was no deal..so you can't bash a guy for behaviour (buyer or seller) because no transaction occurrs until money changes hands.

you weren't serious enough to leave deposit or sign anything..when you find your next boat dont miss out!

best of luck.

sorry terry, money talks Bull walks. i'd have done the same thing if i were the dealer and i don't see anything wrong with what he did -- there was no contract, no money down, nothing.

if i held on to stuff i sell on kijijii for people who said they'd be by to pick it up, i'd never sell anything. show up at my door, cash in hand and it's yours. same idea here.

if you were the dealer then I would treat you the same way

all the dealer had to do was make a simple phone call and say buy now or I have to sell the motor...simple

and I kept an auger for one year because a member here said he would take it

I keep my word.......everything else is bull

if you were the dealer then I would treat you the same way

all the dealer had to do was make a simple phone call and say buy now or I have to sell the motor...simple

and I kept an auger for one year because a member here said he would take it

I keep my word.......everything else is bull

And if he does that, then people start bashing him because he is a high pressure salesman, trying the oldest trick in the book whistling.gif "I got a buyer here...they're gonna take it....you better come down right now!!!"

That's why a deposit makes everything simple. YES, I'm buying this. Here's my money. If someone else wants to buy it and I still haven't sold my boat, then I either pony up the dough, or take my deposit back and lose the new boat.

The whole saying for salespeople goes like this 'They're liars till they're buyers and it's all bull until the cheque clears'. Put yourself in their shoes, someone comes and says they are going to buy something everyday, but 99.9% of them don't come back to buy the item. Soooooo, if you really want something and are serious about it, put down a deposit. They are trying to do something for you to get your business. See if you can squeeze them a bit more, a few bucks saved is better in your pocket than the dealer's. That doesn't mean making outrageous demands but that has it's place in negotiating too.

Wait?

You sold your boat?

But I asked you to email me pictures, and now I want to buy it..???? :whistling:

Seriously though...sorry you're in this spot. Sucks to be going into the bulk of the season without a rig ready to go. I would probably pick the 2 stroke on that rig if it was me...and try not to be too hard on the dealer - I'm sure they hear 'I'll be back' 10 times a day. Sadly money talks...

of course you are ticked off. and rightly so. what i can't see is the rookie, or foolish, move of the dealer to agree to hold something with no paperwork..they should know that's gonna bite them where it hurts. tying up a motor,and likely boat and trailer, on a pre approval and trade in evaluation?

obviously you have represented yourself as much more than a tirekicker...

can you get a dealer runaround from a dealer you haven't bought anything from?

'A' dealer doesn't become 'your' dealer til you buy something...

are you mad at the dealer for selling it, or yourself for not buying it...

its a tough call i think the dealer could have handled it better, maybe by zipping it! unfortunate as obviously you were serious, both parties are affected..no one wins..maybe have to make a compromise to get something quick.

hopefully you can put it behind you and have a better shopping experience!

good luck!

Had this happen to me when looking into a car for the gf. I even went as far as taking the car to my mechanic and paying to get it checked over and then I confirmed I would be buying it and returning with the money the following day as banks were closed at the time. Lets just say he locked his doors and threatened to call the police when I did return :lol:

The whole saying for salespeople goes like this 'They're liars till they're buyers and it's all Bull until the cheque clears'. Put yourself in their shoes, someone comes and says they are going to buy something everyday, but 99.9% of them don't come back to buy the item. Soooooo, if you really want something and are serious about it, put down a deposit. They are trying to do something for you to get your business. See if you can squeeze them a bit more, a few bucks saved is better in your pocket than the dealer's. That doesn't mean making outrageous demands but that has it's place in negotiating too.

Yup, money talks Bull walks as the old saying goes.

When I found my current vehicle at a dealer in Alberta I told them where I was coming from and that I wanted the truck. I gave them a deposit for them to hold it until I could get down there (a 17 hour drive south) to pick it up. The whole deal was smooth as silk. :thumbsup_anim:

Now if I got down there and the truck was gone after leaving a deposit and driving that distance the dealership would have been fire bombed right then and there. :whistling:

and rightly so! i held a truck in the states with 500$ got there (ohio) and it was 2wd not 4wd as advertised. + a bunch of other undisclosed fees..id ask the guy ten times for the total price..what fees added...what should the cheque say on it($) couldn't have been more clear.

the fire bombing ensued immediately.

with half the dealership in ruins, we managed to come to an agreement that left the other half standing. i give no quarter to breaching an agreement..

its tough to beat on an out of town dealer, he knows you are never coming back, and you can't slay him like your local dealer...