Prop wash trolling bracket

lew

When trolling for muskies I often like to have a bait in the propwash anywhere from just beside the prop to back as far as 25'

I made up a new bracket this week using a piece of 1/4 X 4" aluminum, bent it into a 90 and bolted it to the transom well. I fastened some 1/2" plywood to either side then clamped a DownEaster to it.

I haven't tried it yet but it should work well and get my baits right in the wash where the fish like to hang out.

002-6.jpg

003-4.jpg

If I'm running 2 rods they'll be set up like this.

004-1.jpg

Just thought some may be interested.

Very cool, nice creation!

I have never had any success trolling in the wash despite many attempts. I gave up on it. I know a lot of successful fisherman swear by it but I have never had success. I don't know if the water i am fishing is too shallow 8-9 or so? I have tried anywhere from 5-20 feet back in the wash as well without so much as a sniff. If anyone can share any tips for propwash trolling I would love to hear them...

Millhouse

Nice invention Lew.

The only thing I see is,the aluminum bracket is not strong enough. I see a musky bending that right over.If you can,IMO,see if you can get a brace bracket on it.From the base to the up right part.You can do this yourself as well.

Untitled.png

Edited by Misfish

Looks good Lew.

Millhouse I love propwash trolling some tips I can give would be. Don't think your doing it wrong as there is no incorrect way to use tge wash.

My favorite would be using a jointed bait that wonders back and forth in tge wash I will have less then 1' of line out then my 5' leader for a total of 6' back from the motor the bait will jump like mad darting in the turbulent water looking like a fish that was just run over by the boat.

Next is running a double 10 bait at the back of the wash where the white water stops have it track right behind that water and watch it dance when you make your turns you will need at least 6 oz of weight just before your leader up to 10 oz depending on the speeds your running. Adding the weight will help to keep your main line from getting twisted up I like to use seven strand wire coated for trolling big blades.

A sledge is a great bait for wash fishing it has erratic action when trolled.

Hope this helps you some this year.

Edited by Mike P.

Nice set-up Lew , My P.B. lunge was caught on a believer when trolling around some islands in the St. Larry many years ago , the wind was blowing and as I was rounding a island I was being pushed too close to shore . I reeled the bait right up , maybe two feet behind boat , put rod in holder and hit the throttle on my 9.9 to get be back away from the rocks , When the drag started screaming IM thinking damn how did I hang up that lure it was feet behind and I was going full speed with a 9.9 in a 12 foot tinny , not lighting speed but way fast . Put boat in reverse took the rod out of the holderand started reeling , hopeing to retrieve the lure , when I felt the head shakes Im thinking rocks dont do that , 52 incher in the boat 10 minutes latter .. Sure changed my ideas about speeds and so called Spooking these fish .. Tight lines .. B

Nice invention Lew.

The only thing I see is,the aluminum bracket is not strong enough. I see a musky bending that right over.If you can,IMO,see if you can get a brace bracket on it.From the base to the up right part.You can do this yourself as well.

Untitled.png

As Brian has suggested Lew, I would put a brace between the horizontal & vertical surfaces to prevent any bending and to relieve stress.

Other than that, it looks great !

HAPPY TROLLING !!!

I see a musky bending that right over.

Thanks guys

Brian, I know what your saying but this is pretty sturdy and anyways, I don't keep a tight drag when trolling. I do have a wedge though that fits in between the bracket and transom that makes it ever stronger.

Thanks guys

Brian, I know what your saying but this is pretty sturdy and anyways, I don't keep a tight drag when trolling. I do have a wedge though that fits in between the bracket and transom that makes it ever stronger.

No worries Lew. Thought I would just add a helpful note. :thumbsup_anim:

Nice stuff Lew!

As Mike alluded to, I'm sure you checked out Dave's offerings at Trojan Tackle.

Trojan Tackle Propwash holders

One thing you might consider is cutting a Dado in both sides of the plywood so the Salty clamps actually fit into a groove. Then you are not just relying on clamping pressure.

One sleep

Cheers,

Mark

edit:

Edited by farsider

Interesting thread.

So Lew, you would rather run one in the propwash and one out the side rather than 2 out the sides when trolling 2 rods?

Would that be only when you are running close to structure like a weed edge/rocks? Or also out in open water?

One thing you might consider is cutting a Dado in both sides of the plywood so the Salty clamps actually fit into a groove. Then you are not just relying on clamping pressure.

Dado's are already cut into the wood Mark, but thanks anyhoo.

I made up a holder out of a towbar last year similar to one that Trojan shows on their websight. It worked OK but I just found it kinda big and combersome. I like this one much better as it'll work well but it's not in my way.

Interesting thread.

So Lew, you would rather run one in the propwash and one out the side rather than 2 out the sides when trolling 2 rods?

Would that be only when you are running close to structure like a weed edge/rocks? Or also out in open water?

If I'm running 2 rods I always run one from the side and the other out back just to cover everything. Both ways produce alot of fish so that way I have a chance at grabbing them from either location.

I don't spend too much time trolling open water and prefer shallower locations around weeds & rocks. I seldom have more than 25 or 30' of line out and either the side or back work well. If I'm fishing the propwash I often have the bait only a couple feet from the prop and it catches a surprising amount of fish. I can only assume their attracted by either the noise of the prop, or the bubbles it's producing.

Dado's are already cut into the wood Mark, but thanks anyhoo.

I made up a holder out of a towbar last year similar to one that Trojan shows on their websight. It worked OK but I just found it kinda big and combersome. I like this one much better as it'll work well but it's not in my way.

Well done sir!

From my look at your first pic, I did not make out any through grooves on the edge. I should have assumed otherwise.

Way to go above and beyond and inspire us all.

Cheers,

Mark

Looks sharp Lew.

I was thinking along the same lines as Brian. Aluminum fatigues over time/use, and eventually could fail at the bend.

How did you mount that to your boat?

Cool idea Lew.

Don't listen to the others that is a perfect set up.

The Musky will hit the bracket will bend slightly catapulting the Musky directly in to the boat ....no need for a net Lew but make sure you duck.

Good luck to you during Musky opener!!!!!!

Looks good Lew.

Millhouse I love propwash trolling some tips I can give would be. Don't think your doing it wrong as there is no incorrect way to use tge wash.

My favorite would be using a jointed bait that wonders back and forth in tge wash I will have less then 1' of line out then my 5' leader for a total of 6' back from the motor the bait will jump like mad darting in the turbulent water looking like a fish that was just run over by the boat.

Next is running a double 10 bait at the back of the wash where the white water stops have it track right behind that water and watch it dance when you make your turns you will need at least 6 oz of weight just before your leader up to 10 oz depending on the speeds your running. Adding the weight will help to keep your main line from getting twisted up I like to use seven strand wire coated for trolling big blades.

A sledge is a great bait for wash fishing it has erratic action when trolled.

Hope this helps you some this year.

Thanks for the tips Mike, I really appreciate it. This has me psyched to try trolling in the wash again. I suspect I`m going to need a new pair of underwear if I catch a fish with only 6 feet of line out!

I

One of my favorite prop was fish was myistjr's 46" he got down here with his dad and myself. I was just explaining to him the wash rod and also that I was not sure why I head to the area we were headed I just finished by saying something like 90% of the time I don't get a fish here but I know they are here and with that the fight was on.

My wife's first musky on the line was a wash fish with maybe 20' of line out she hit a huge musky she was holding the rod as we did not have 3 rod holders and she let Wendal and I have them.

There are a lot of musky that live On the edge and need extreme food kinda like humans some eat HOT crap even though they know it's honna hurt.

Edited by Mike P.

I wonder if the muskies have learned that otherwise hiding preyfish are a bit spooked by the boat/prop.

If they move, they show themselves and become vulnerable.

Muskies therefore see a boat as a positive thing and actually come to a trolling boat.

I'm going to ask the next one I catch.