Purchasing flies online

sturstik

That's a nice UK site Bassfighter. Some unique flies and great prices too. At $6 for shipping from Britain well that's darn good as well. I would also recommend www.fishandsave.com as well. They sell discounted tackle of all types and they always have tons of flies. On many occasions through the year they discount the already deeply discounted prices for flies and you can frequently get a dozen quality flies for $3-$6 a dozen (and sometimes even less). Their flies tend to be very mainstream commercial flies from Hank Roberts and Hank Roberts Premium (whatever that means) and not really premium like truly hand tied custom pattered flies found on some other sites. I can attest that they do catch steelhead when bottom bounced or floated though and there's less crying when the snag in the rocks (due to the price).

I bought from reel flies and they messed up my order. It was a $6 container that I paid extra for and did not get. Here is the email reply I got from them when I inquired about it:

"you should have got a free compartment box. It is not fancy but is provided to help protect your flies in transit. Please make reference to tis email when you next order and we will make sure that it is included. I will also make sure you get a couple of FREE flies for the inconvenience. Just a simple packing error".

Fair enough I guess, but kinda forces me to buy from them again to see the $6 loss.....

Thanks all for the replies. Good info that I will use!

I used to tie flies as a kid with my grandfathers equipment. But that was a long time ago. I figure since I'm just getting back into it, I'll purchase my flies. Perhaps in the fall I will get myself a vise and materials to start tying my own.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!