Brookie Report

Hey All,

Just recently got back from my now annual trip up to the Nipigon river in pursuit of big brookies, and I have to say this year was pretty successful. Went up for 5 days, a little early in the brookie season up there but still managed some nice fish. My dad was my fishing partner for this adventure, both of us using the fly rod. The steelhead season was early up there this year just like it was down here but we still gave it a shot to see if we could land a north shore chromer.

Day 1:

Flew Porter up to Thunder Bay, 2 hour flight and arrived at around 10am. Did the usual grocery run in thunder bay before driving just over an hour to Red Rock where we would be staying. Arrived at the lodge at about noon. Ray, the owner of the lodge suggested we try going up to the river for brookies as conditions were perfect and fishing had been good lately. We quickly unpacked and got back on the road up to the huntin grounds. Day 1 turned out to be pretty darn good.

A nice fish from the old man to get the skunk out of the boat...

DSCF2698.jpg

Followed by a fatty ...

DSCF2700.jpg

First one of the trip for me thumbsup_anim.gif

DSCF2703.jpg

And another to even the score

DSCF2707.jpg

Couple specks from dad

DSCF2708.jpg

DSCF2712.jpg

Slept well that night...

Day 2: Hit the river in the morning, the fish weren't quite as playful. unsure.gif

Dad breaks the ice:

DSCF2717.jpg

and another

DSCF2718.jpg

up 3-0 on me whistling.gif

DSCF2720.jpg

I slightly redeem myself with this beast w00t.gif

DSCF2724.jpg

after the sun beating down on us and a long day of casting 12wt sinking lines on 6 and 7wt rods, we headed back to the lodge.

Day 3:

Saturday we went in the morning steelheading then got back and headed out to fish closer to the mouth of the nipigon with my second cousin Glenn and his wife Deb.

The trek to the river was pretty interesting, lucky we were in a truck with 4 wheel drive... whistling.gif

Trek to the river video

Ended up that we were too late for steelies on that particular river but the scenery was nice and we did get into a few resident brookies and what I think were steelhead smolts?

DSCF2735.jpg

DSCF2733.jpg

DSCF2734.jpg

Then off to the Nipigon river to see what felt like hitting...

Got the first laker of my fishing career

DSCF2761.jpg

My dad with a beautiful resident Nipigon river bow

DSCF2767.jpg

Day 4:

Headed out for brookies in the morning with Glenn and Deb again, unfortunately we had terrible weather which we hoped would turn the fish on but it did the opposite. Only got 2 fish that day.

Glenn with a nice one:

DSCF2769.jpg

Day 5:

On our last day we decided to go steelheading in the morning and then go out for an evening fish for specks since that was when we were having the most luck. Quick drive to the river, throw on the waders and we were off. Fished for a few hours and I managed a small chromer.

DSCF2785.jpg

Then back to our favourite spot for brookies to see if we can't squeek out a few more before heading back home..

Absolutely beautiful night when we arrived, no wind compared to the strong gusts previous days. At this point in the trip we were dead tired but we finished pretty strong anyways..

I start it off with a fish that hit on the swing in 60ft of water... excuse the fly... It looks good in the water I swear blush.gif

DSCF2788.jpg

Then the old man's turn with a nice chrome fish

DSCF2790.jpg

We caught a few more fish when my dad yells "fish on" and the fish starts peeling drag... Soon after the fish comes near the boat and I look down and have a look at the fish... 7lbs +, a huge fish. I just get out the words "dad that thing is massive" as the hook spits. That fish is going to haunt his dreams tease.gif Oh well we'll get him next year.

We end off the night with this weird looking fish who lost some of his tail somehow.

DSCF2792.jpg

... And that concludes Nipigon 2012. We will be back next year for sure. Big shout out to Ray, the owner of the lodge who is a standup guy, and Jon our guide, very knowledgeable and a great guy to fish with. Mods let me know if I'm breaking any rules but here is their website http://www.nipigonriveradventures.com

Highly recommend this trip to anyone who wants a chance at brookies up to 10lbs, and yes they are in there.

Sean

Edited by DundasSteelheader

Great report and awesome pictures.

I've always wanted to fish Nipigon. I've driven over it 30+ times and have never had the time to stay and fish. I will one day.

If you don't mind me asking, whats the approximate cost of a trip like that?

An epic trip with your Dad, Sean. Anyone would be hard done by trying to match the size of those monsters. Looks like you took advantage of all the time you had too! Congrats and thanks for this Nipigon report.

I grew up fishing that river and that awesome report reminded me that I really need to make a trip back to the place that gave me fishing.

Love the multiple methods you used on the trip. Thanks for sharing!