Musky opener

Hey everybody, I got into musky fishing last summer, but missed the early part of the season. I've heard smaller baits are traditionally used more often in the spring, is there anything else I should pay specific attention to?

Who's getting excited for opener? I've taken extra time off work just to try to track down some musky, starting with a weekend on the Trent. I can hardly wait!

Hey everybody, I got into musky fishing last summer, but missed the early part of the season. I've heard smaller baits are traditionally used more often in the spring, is there anything else I should pay specific attention to?

Who's getting excited for opener? I've taken extra time off work just to try to track down some musky, starting with a weekend on the Trent. I can hardly wait!

I saw 4 on Sunday. Two large ones laying in about 7-9 feet of water, just cruising. I also had two come up after fish that I was bringing in (one after a bluegill and another after a small bass). Had one other bite me off while fishing for walleye.

I like to target areas where there are large populations of bluegill hanging out. They love them in the spring. Yes. I agree that using smallet baits would be the way to go, but my muskie fanatic friend would disagree! He says go big or go home. LOL

I have heard the same about small baits but can't say they have worked for me specifically in the spring but its worth a try. I would say one other thing to pay attention to in the spring would be to start your search near likely spawning areas as the muskies may not have moved far from where they spawn to feed and recuperate. Shallow warm water bays and or feeder creeks would be likely spawning areas in most lakes. I expect things to be excelerated this year by the time the season opens for them in my neck of the woods since spring seems to have sprung several weeks early and most of the spawning by other fish has been ahead of schedule. I believe muskie/bass spawn in water temps above 55F which we have achieved already here in my area so I think by the time the June 16th opener arrives, they will be well into their summer patterns. Just my 2 cents... I will be throwing and trolling safety pin style bucktails in the waters that I fish as my go to lures to start the season. Hope this helps.

I believe muskie/bass spawn in water temps above 55F which we have achieved already here in my area so I think by the time the June 16th opener arrives

That's what the MNR's objective is. To have the opening date AFTER the spawn. I don't think there'll be that much difference with years past. Even if they are in their summer haunts, they still will come in shallower for feeding opportunities.

Early in the season I like pencil reeds, sand and shallow water.

And yes, smaller baits are often the ticket in the springtime.

My most productive day ever was opening day, 2001 when I hit the water at 7:30 a.m. and got the 1st fish of the season on the 1st cast of the season and by 10:00 a.m. I'd boated 9 muskies.

All fish came from the reeds and none were caught in more than 4 FOW

Some days a plan just comes together. :Gonefishing:

My most productive day ever was opening day, 2001 when I hit the water at 7:30 a.m. and got the 1st fish of the season on the 1st cast of the season and by 10:00 a.m. I'd boated 9 muskies.

That is insane! I've caught 9 muskies total haha. Thanks for all the tips guys. Are bucktails a good spring bait, or should I wait until summer to really break them out? I love throwing bucktails, especially when working shallow water/weeds, but I don't want to overdo it if they're not as effective early on.

Saw a few 'skis on the weekend. A few were in the spawning area, some on a flat directly adjacent, and a few were cruising a slackwater off an inflow. Thinking those locations are par for the course at this time of year. That being said, there werent as many fish as I had expected. So theres a good possibility that the majority had come and gone already.

Like lew, i find shallow fish to be the hottest. But the biggest post-spawn fish i encounter come from short (10-15ft) shallow ledges that drop into the main basin. Thick trees that extend into open water hold some beeeauty specimens. Spinnerbait or spinnerbait are good options. Dont leave home without one. Husky Jerks work good as well and are one of the best "small" lures you can pitch! Wow, im getting pumped now!!

I will be out on LSC casting early for them where we are getting walleye. Might troll for eyes and cast for slIme.

Will be tossing the new 2oz egg heads with size 8 Colorado blades as well as my bigger double 10's. I will also have jade working top raider sledge and jerk baits made by outlaw.

When we switch to trolling the 6 1/4" woodies will be getting washed. I am looking forward to tge opener for sure.

Edited by Mike P.

Last year, the bulk of my casting was throwing DC-10's. Put a 45, 47, and 49 in the boat on them. My wife and I use primarily bucktails and in-line spinners almost exclusively. Early morning / evening we tried some top water. Trolling, I don't have much - typically jointed believers and depth raiders. Last year at one camp, I was throwing the DC-10s and having no action nor seeing any fish. I down-sized to a Mepps bucktail with #5 blades and hooked into one and had a coupkle follows. Get a little varitey and, if one thing ain't showing any results, switch things up a bit. When my wife and I fish, we typically have different size baits on, to see what they may be interested in. I still consider myself a rookie and many on here probably forgot more about muskly fishing than I'll ever know. You already got some tips from some well experienced musky anglers.

Like some had said I would go in with a traditional spring strategy, smaller baits and close to spawning grounds, but always be ready to switch it up. If you notice that the lake that you are fishing has some well developed weeds, maybe try out some of the weed edges. Musky fishing is easy if you can figure out where they are and what they are eating. It's even easier when you can combine that with when they are eating. It's just not always that easy to figure any of that out, especially if you aren't mixing it up a bit.

Small baits are for the southern states in spring where Musky is open all year.(march/april). Find fresh weed growth close to areas that look like good spawning ground, and there will prob be some skis close by. Getting them to bite is a different story. Starting with a bucktail is a great idea, and change to something slower if you arent seeing any action. Let us know how you do.

hi. its near time.

we troll smaller lures 5-6 inch range. handlebarz bucks. look for warmer water, baitfish. i prefer emerging growth edges. normally big girls are post spawn,they seem to hang on deeper edges recuperating . i prefer to troll boatrods just above bottom with hammering jointed baits. on planer boards smaller 5 inch shad style baits like a minnee woodie shad 4ft under the surface.

. bait colors are usually dictated by water color,and forage base. hope this helps.

Typically I find my opener fish on the edges of the thickest weedbeds I can find... One area I fish we get are action at the thickest clumps of the weed bed...

Also secondary channels that can be a bit warmer...

And find the food find the fish... For me that's walleye... Usually in June I start getting musky activity while targeting walleye...

As far as go small... I don't buy into that... I try to pattern the way I do most of the year...

Considering the first water I can fish musky is a shallow river... I start with one guy throwing a double 10 or double 8 handlebarz inline.... And the other on a glide bait like a hellhound... Usually they'll want one of the 2 baits... either the iratic glide bait or the vibe of the inline.... And then proceed from there with size... color... make... etc...

I'm going to second pencil weeds and don't worry about being too shallow. One of my biggest fish, a 47" female came out of less than a foot of water in a garage of pencil weeds on opening day. My favourite opening day lure is a bulger type bucktail particularly Grimreapers although one fish seems to always bend the main wire and it takes forever to get it to run true again.

Edited by Musky or Specks