Shopping for new outboard...

I like tybo's idea.

As long as the rebuild is done by a certified mech. with quality parts, you should get a lot more use out of it.

There's a stigma out there that once a motor blows up, it is toast and if a rebuild is done, the same thing will happen again, a ticking time bomb so to speak. I don't agree with that if done properly with good parts, a rebuild takes a motor back to essentially factory specs.

Can`t tell you the cost.Don`t do outboards.

Sleeves,pistons,rings.crank bearings and head.Inspect and use whats not worn out.

from what i can tell its about $1500 max in parts...retail... and im guessing it would be the same cost as he estimated to completely tear apart the power head and put it back together...$300-500

so my 500 already in

another 1500 in parts

and another 500 in labour...

so $2500 total on the high end... maybe a bit less...

edit for crank cost... missed that...and bearing cost not included

Edited by Musky Mike

thats not to bad for a price i re did my own v6 outboard and by the time i got piston/rings/bearinss/gaskets i was still 1500.

now onto your engine i am sorry but regardless of what i repair if i strip off a cylinder head i check it for truness and pressure test it sounnds like your guy may have missed a step i am sorry to say, but it happens to the best of us when you think you have a problem nailed down

That`s why you get a full rebuild,you`re not fixing it you are making a fresh engine.

Agree. Did mine last spring, bearings, crank, piston. sleeve, rings etc. Much happier with the $10G's plus in my pocket as to a dealer for an engine that would have been 12-15G's plus tax and labour, depending on the engine. This is for a 115hp. I shopped everywhere I could and the rebuild just seemed to make the most sense to me at the time. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

thats not to bad for a price i re did my own v6 outboard and by the time i got piston/rings/bearinss/gaskets i was still 1500.

now onto your engine i am sorry but regardless of what i repair if i strip off a cylinder head i check it for truness and pressure test it sounnds like your guy may have missed a step i am sorry to say, but it happens to the best of us when you think you have a problem nailed down

you may be right...

he said checked the head for trueness

im gunna continue to assume hes on the ball... everyone in the area says they are the best... and their lot has a lot boats... they are highly recomended and trusted by everyone in the area...

im trying to stay positive in thinking and im telling myself that my motor is the odd one out that was able to stump these guys...

Edited by Musky Mike

from what i can tell its about $1500 max in parts...retail... and im guessing it would be the same cost as he estimated to completely tear apart the power head and put it back together...$300-500

so my 500 already in

another 1500 in parts

and another 500 in labour...

so $2500 total on the high end... maybe a bit less...

edit for crank cost... missed that...and bearing cost not included

Plus the cost of a new block if there's a crack in a water jacket somewhere.................

That $3500 puts you 1/2 way to a new Yammie 50 that come with a warranty. ;)

i found a new 2009 50 yammy for 5999 in ontario...

same as usa price on a 2012

or i stck with a 40 at 5000 usa

thats my delema... 5000 for a brand new yamaha 40hp or 2000-3000 to fix a 40hp honda

if someone asked me last summer to upgrade from my honda to a new yamaha for 2-3 thousand i wouldnt have hesitated...

Edited by Musky Mike

5000 for a brand new yamaha 40hp or 2000-3000 to fix a 40hp honda

If it was me Mike, I'd be buying the new Yamaha rather that putting a whole whack of $$$$ into the 12 year old Honda.

when it comes to tillers im a yamaha guy!!!! i use these tillers day in and day out at work and freaking love the smoothness and reliability, i use the 60hp,and 70 hp models and they work like a charm and sip fuel :thumbsup_anim: oh and the rpm adjustment is pretty cool!!!!!! im not a merc fan, seen too many of them blow up at work.

in poker they call it 'spending good money after bad money'. a 12 yrold motor with a 3000$ rebuild is still a 12 yrold motor, resale wise..

get the new one and enjoy your fishing!!

im not concerned with resale value... considering i put 500+ hours a year on my motor a new one would drop in value pretty fast... in 3 years it would be at 1500 hours!!!!!!!

my concern is how much i can get for my dollar...

Edited by Musky Mike

Putting 500 hours a year on your motor is another excellent reason for going with the new one Mike.

And this is just a thought, but could you possibly use the new motor as some sort of tax deduction seeing as you use it for your guiding business :dunno:

ok at 500 hours a year your honda is at 6000 hours it doesn't owe you a cent rebuliding the power head is econmical choice and the rotating assembly is as good as new, the thing is the electrical-charging/starting/ignition is bound to fail at some point as is the lower unit and trim/tilt units you just may be ahead with a new motor at the very least it'll give you confidence and piece of mind

I would go new and the 40hp seems to be in the same weight range between brands so its be looking at tiller features, dealer network and warranty as deciding factor. Dont think brand matters when comparing merc yammy or honda.

Have you looked at a Evinrude E-Tech.

No

I'm concerned with fuel economy considering my motor runs from when I leave the launch till I get back 5-12 hours later... I also don't like their "no service for 3 years" gimmic... It's based on hours... 300 i think...And I'd put the hours on in a few months...

They are a lot cheaper then 4 strokes...