Here's a great story, thought sturgeon were a protected species

Catch of a lifetime eb2f8fad4d4a9f8c307fcce8e382.jpgCatch of a lifetime. Submitted photo MIDLAND – Midland's Tyson James Pamajewon speared this 159-pound sturgeon while fishing for pickerel on May 4 at Port Severn. Pamajewon spotted the fish, which measured six feet nine inches long, moving in some rapids. A thrust of his spear marked the start of a 20-minute battle before he was finally able to wrestle the sturgeon ashore. Pamajewon, seen here with daughter Daanis and his massive catch, said the meat will be shared with his family and other members of his home community of Shawanaga First Nation. He added this was easily the largest fish he has ever caught, and the biggest sturgeon he's ever heard of being landed with a spear. However, it turns out the record is held by a Wisconsin man who speared a 212-pound sturgeon in 2010 in Lake Winnebago. <A href="http://www.simcoe.com/sports/article/1350505--catch-of-a-lifetime">http://www.simcoe.com/sports/article/1350505--catch-of-a-lifetime</A>

Edited by fishinmortician

the only rapids I know are in the fish sanctuary "opens 3rd sat in may.  Pickeral opens may 1st in zone 14 but sturgeon are closed all year.  The reserve that is getting the fish is miles away and midland/port severn is not reserve land.

Edited by fishinmortician

the only rapids I know are in the fish sanctuary "opens 3rd sat in may.  Pickeral opens may 1st in zone 14 but sturgeon are closed all year.  The reserve that is getting the fish is miles away and midland/port severn is not reserve land.

Belleville,Trenton and Concecon is not on the reserve either and they still spear in these spots even though it is a sanctuary,(April 1st - until 1st Sat in may)I guess they {Natives) can spear and hunt when and wherever they want.

Manitoubass hit the nail on the head. Treaty areas can extend beyond the boundaries of First Nations Reserves, and Ministry laws governing fish and wildlife do not extend to First Nations individuals within their treaty areas. This isn't anything new.

Ontario First Nations Treaty Areas Map

I don't agree with spearing any fish myself, but that's besides the point.

Edited by tonyb

You'd be hard pressed to find anglers that agree with the treaty rights of Natives when it comes to fishing/hunting.

So I understand the comments totally.

But the law is the law, and for the time being, whether you like it or not, it will continue.

But for every bad apple there are tons of great work being done in regards to protecting fisheries/wildlife done by Natives.

Up in NW Ontario, where I live on reserve land, I witness alot of the work done by the locals. Heck, even white Canadians and Natives working together to protect the fishery!!!! I know, amazing right!

We have a sturgeon hatchery program here as well, to help keep the populations healthy. The sturgeon are spawning as we speak. I went to take some pictures upside the rapids two days ago, and far from scientific, but the numbers I'm witnessing suggest very healthy populations of sturgeon in the Rainy River.

I live in a small community, but sturgeon do get harvested here. But it's in very small numbers for a annual ceremony (maybe about 20 small sturgeon).

Anyhow, just some things to think about...

Again, as an angler I don't agree with it, but thats not gonna stop anything.

and this guy is a totally gonna be disappointed trying to feed his family with a sturgeon that size, all the smoking in the world won't make a fish that big edible.

Edited by manitoubass2