Help on House sterilizing / cleaning for health reasons.

Harrison

Hi all,

Kind of ripping my hair out here, not even sure the terminology to use to describe what we need done.

We just got word last night an immediate family is very sick and we need to remove all possible risk of an allergic reaction if possible in her home. (dust etc.)

Can anyone recommend or have experience with a service/company we can call in to do this(not even sure what I am looking for, just need it done ASAP). She is located in Durham Region.

I've done a bit of research this morning, but to be honest, I am not doing a very good job.

Thanks

Phil

I have no experience with this company, its just a google search that you may also have found.

http://www.allergyreliefcleaning.com/AllergyProofYourHome.html

In the meantime, can a HEPA air purifier help at all ?

Thank you, on the list to my sis.

Getting a Hepa this morning, thanks!

Phil

Do a google search for "air quality assessment oshawa" and take a look. If it were me, I'd want a detailed report including a mould and allergin analysis. Whole home hepas help, but an assessment can help pinpoint issues at the source. I'm sure they'd recommend a whole house system as well. Good luck!

Edited by ccmt

Phil

Do a google search for "air quality assessment oshawa" and take a look. If it were me, I'd want a detailed report including a mould and allergin analysis. Whole home hepas help, but an assessment can help pinpoint issues at the source. Good luck!

Ok, will do. I want it all.

Money of course is always an issue, but it comes and goes.

Thanks Cliff.

http://l2binc.com/

I used to work for these guys.

In-door air quality.

They make UV air prurification systems that mount to your furnace.

Have a read.

I can get you some contact info, and might even be able to get you a deal if you decide to go that way.

Colognes, perfumes, scented air fresheners, etc.

Latex gloves, balloons, etc.

Food.

Pollen, grass, etc.

Lots of alergens apart from airborne.

Paint, building suplies... There are so many things it's unreal.

Im no expert, but it sounds like mould is the issue here especially given that she is very sick. See if the docs can test a sample or something to confirm this? Read up on symptoms of mould exposure, does your moms match these symptoms? If you want to be assured there is no mould in the home, there is no better test then a mould sniffing dog. Just make sure you close your eyes though when they tell you the price for the dog. Air particle samples will not pin point where the actual problem is and you will find yourself ripping apart alot of the house to find the root of the problem. The dog goes straight to the source if there is one present.

After the home has been sterilized, invest in a HEPA vacuum cleaner. Most of the cheap vacuums are not sealed properly and will blow some of the dust around the house that the vacuum should be picking up and storing into its bag. I did the research before I bought mine, and Miele was one of the very few companies that guaranteed their vacuums sealed the dust in. One of their vacuum's will run you 500-700$ depending on the model, although I have seen refurbs kicking around at some stores for considerably less. If your interested, let me know and I will keep an eye out for a refurb.

I would also invest in a good quality furnace filter. The 3M ones sold at Costco seem good and can be had for 40-45$ for 3. Periodically they go on sale for 10$ off as well. You should leave the furnace fan on 24/7 as well. This will help reduce the dust in the house but will also require more frequent filter changes.

Purchase a hygrometer and ensure you place one in the basement to monitor humidity levels in the home. If you control humidity properly and keep it at the right levels for the corresponding time of year, you will not allow mould to grow. Do not begin to control the humidity levels with a dehumidifier before you have confirmed that the home is mould free. Otherwise you will be blowing around mould particles which will cause the mould to spread.

Hope this helps and hope your mom has a speedy recovery!

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Awesome, guys thanks.

I should clarify, it is my Mom. She is on the short list for a lung transplant.

My sis is a rock and on the hunt with me. Thanks.

I am printing this off to.

Edited by Harrison

Hey Phil,

I have a good buddy who went thru this same thing last fall. I've contacted him, and will let you know who he used. They did a real good job. He's in pontypool, but I think the company was out of durham.

S.

Agree with almost everything said above, this is a huge area ranging from indoor air quality to allergens, to mold and on and on. Really is "impossible to sterilize a house " but removing the bulk allergenic materials and getting an air test done is a start. If they do find mold, make sure and ask them to specifically tell you what kind of mold it is as well as the concentration. How old is the house? Asbestos can be present not only as a pipe insulation but if the house is old enough can be present in the drywall itself, the mud used to tape, in the caulk used around windows etc. etc. so have them test for that as well. I am by no means an expert but having owned a janitorial company for 20 years we have run across and assisted a number of cases. Best of luck, I'll look up some of my contacts and PM you.

Bill

It is the resposes on threads like this that make OFC more them just a fishing forum, but a true community. I posted in a real haze and you folks help us out.

Thank you very much to all who replied and PM'd. I am short on time or I would thank you all individually.

Phil

Edited by Harrison