Fenwick HMG

I've always been partial to Fenwicks and I've been waiting for a sale to buy a new one.... this looks like a good price for this piece but I'm looking for some OFC opinions before I pull the trigger.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fresh-saltwater-fishing/spinning-rods/hmg-graphite-spinning-rods/prod201608.html?skucode=201609

Unfortunately, the description is way too short. I can't tell if it's a 1 or 2 piece. I'll call them with any questions I have, but does anybody have good/bad experiences with this model rod. Any good alternatives? I won't spend more than $100 because I'm hard on equipment.

FYI, this is mostly for walleye fishing. Casting and jigging.

Chad, IMHO, 40 years ago, Fenwick made quality sticks and were a rod to have in any arsenal. Today, not so much. If as you say, you're hard on your equipment, I'd move to another brand. Almost any brand. I'm sure that a lot of people like them but I just can't trust them anymore.

I've still got a few that I use, mostly for the kids. I like them a lot and can honestly say I've never had an issue.

Also have 3 HMG AV rods that are outstanding. They outperform my more expensive St. Croix's imo.

On the other hand I've had 3 separate Shimano Compre rods break for no particular reason. And these are rods that are universally liked.

It's funny how opinions can differ so greatly LOL!

Thanks for the input so far guys!

I'm partial to the "feel" of the Fenwicks. I've had three or four Highlanders, which are the CTire cheap-Fenwicks and other than me dropping/scraping/catching in doors, these units have done me very well. I just love the light sensitive "feel" they offer. In comparison, I find almost every equally priced ($50-80) rod feels like a tree-trunk.

I've heard about the Fenwick quality dropping over time, but the other side of the coin is just as evident. It would a tough choice for me to leave this brand.

Unfortunately I don't have the convenience of shopping large fishing stores...it's tough to do brand comparisons in North Bay.

The HMG seems like a decent upgrade over the Highlander...especially if I can catch this sale...$75 looks like a great price. The Compre is closer to $100.

The BPS ratings are good btw.

I have a 6.5 medium HMG.It is the only spinning rod i own. I use it for LMB and have also caught walleye and SMB on it. I have a Pflueger President on it and i love the combo.Very sensitive.I have yanked on it really hard a few times, and have even brought up an 8 foot section of a sunken tree without breaking it.

Sheesh! Now you tell me. I just bought a Compre at LeBarons yesterday. Tell me it was car doors and trunk lids, Ok? mad.gifw00t.gif

Broke the bait caster twice casting max weight spinner,once got hit by something really big,and off the windshield on a side arm hook set.

The 7 foot spinning rod twice on hook sets and one catching the trolling motor.

The 6.6 spinning once on hook set.

Haven`t broke the musky rod.

I've a 7' MH HMG 1 pc that I use for bass & pike. No issues after about 4-5 years. Nice combo with an old Curado.

I did have a 6'6 2 pc from Fenwick (one of their lower lines) thats snapped on a cast. No more cheaping out or two piece rods for this guy.