Shroomers

An aquaintance gave me some morels today. They were huge the size of my hand and looked like a brain. He assured me they are good to eat just fry them with butter and onion. so I google them before I cooked them and it says do not eat them, so of course I didn't. Apparently alot of people do eat them and don't get sick. Any of you guys have any experience with this shroom, and if so how do you prepare them?

An aquaintance gave me some morels today. They were huge the size of my hand and looked like a brain. He assured me they are good to eat just fry them with butter and onion. so I google them before I cooked them and it says do not eat them, so of course I didn't. Apparently alot of people do eat them and don't get sick. Any of you guys have any experience with this shroom, and if so how do you prepare them?

There are 2-3 almost "failsafe" hints to staying alive wit morels. 1. Slit the stem open lengthwise, if it contains any "cottony" fibres fibres, they are false morels, 2. If the head or cap of the mushroom is attached only at the interior and sits on the stem like a lampshade, it's a false morel.

Edibe morels don't have any cottony fibre or strands inside the stem, there may be tiny white dots or they are smooth inside. Secondly the head or cap of the real morel is attached all the way around the bottom edge of the cap to the stem. Google false morel and stay alive.

Here's some good pictures. http://www.michiganmorels.com/morels2.shtml

Edited by Fisherman

I ate a few mushrooms i found along the river last time i went fishing. about 40 mins after i ate them, bob and wayne izumi crawled out of the forest dressed as batman and robin and started catching great white sharks in my favorite steelie hole!!! tease.gif

I once ran through Champlain Provincial Park in the EARLY morning hours laughing hysterically until I ran into a clothesline. Not sure what was most sore the next day my chest from hitting the clothesline or my face from smiling soooooo much.

Oh ya...we`re talking about Morels.

I once ran through Champlain Provincial Park in the EARLY morning hours laughing hysterically until I ran into a clothesline. Not sure what was most sore the next day my chest from hitting the clothesline or my face from smiling soooooo much.

Oh ya...we`re talking about Morels.

THAT'S why security is ramped up at that place!

I'm gonna look for some morels tonight, but I have no idea if they are in the area I'm looking. If I do find some, I won't eat 'em until I do some due diligence.

Just a small rant, for someone that's trying to learn something about eating something that might kill you, maybe the goofballs could refrain for a change. :wallbash: :wallbash:

So so right my friend .. I have a friend that has 300 acres of the most Beautiful piece of Ontario around Maynooth . When we first started to go there When walking around his piece of Ontario Forest , I was amazed at the different kinds of mushrooms that grew there . The spring brought some kinds , thru the summer others , and in the FALL crazy amounts ,so many different colours shapes sizes etc. On my hikes thru his land I would return with so many different kinds .. NOW which was posion and what to put on my steak .. NOT a easy thing , bought a mushrooms of Ontario field guide , still not so sure, vary vague at best .. .. I know now what is a real morel , and honey mushrooms got them down , but all others I just take pics of now .. Real Morels and as Brian said Honey mushrooms are some of the most tastey things you can harvest from the forest, but if you are not sure , LEAVE THEM ALONE , Darwin is allways looking for people to prove his theory of the survival of the fittest , if you dont know , call Mikey if no mikeys around DONT EVEN TASTE ..

Good link, it even covers fishing!

Like I said in my post "GOOD LINK " but the Descriptions

are at best Vague and the pics are of the best samples , not all of any kind are so .Some are smaller ,some bigger ,some not the same bright color etc. even with the book I still have a hard time telling the GOOD from the bad i.e. DEADLY .Like I said ,"CALL MIKEY" he will eat anything ..lol .. All Im saying is be carefull , there are wild food gathering groups on the net , hook up with them and learn ... Like I said ,I stick to morels , honeys , FIDDLE HEADS , wild blue berries , black berries etc. etc. things IM sure of , Darwin is watching , BEWARE >>>

if you dont know , call Mikey if no mikeys around DONT EVEN TASTE ..

Totally off topic, but being a Mikey myself, and being of a certain age where I was subjected to "Mikey" remarks when younger, I'd like to set the record straight once and for all.

Mikey hated everything, he did not eat everything put in front of him.

The perception that Mikey would eat anything is a common one and is patently false.

Here is the proof (yes I'm bored at work :lol: )

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vYEXzx-TINc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Totally off topic, but being a Mikey myself, and being of a certain age where I was subjected to "Mikey" remarks when younger, I'd like to set the record straight once and for all.

Mikey hated everything, he did not eat everything put in front of him.

The perception that Mikey would eat anything is a common one and is patently false.

:lol::good:

Another one of the easily identifiable edible mushrooms are Boletes or King Boletes. When you turn them over, there are NO gills, the underneath looks exactly like foam rubber stuffing, little tiny pores. See here: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=king%20bolete%20mushroom&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBoletus_edulis&ei=2nagT-DrJsHyggf4wsz7DQ&usg=AFQjCNEFts03ottUXEx1EAQHFJnVwXr8ig&cad=rja They also have one that mimicks them. When broken or cut, they turn smurf blue immediately, like right now. DON'T eat it. See here: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=false%20bolete%20mushroom&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBoletus_amygdalinus&ei=HHagT4LuO4qHgweVlfnqDQ&usg=AFQjCNGeu3xvd6zup0b96HVhpn9Wy1B7Nw&cad=rja

The funniest tasting one I had last year was a Pheasant mushroom, only found a couple. They have the unmistakeable smell/taste of watermellon. Didn't really turn my crank. See here: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=pheasant%20mushroom&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPolyporus_squamosus&ei=inegT_PFNcbGgAf2lrzmDQ&usg=AFQjCNF5rJxJfm5Ii9XIVzype8bPKJ_HFg&cad=rja

Edited by Fisherman

I ate a few mushrooms i found along the river last time i went fishing. about 40 mins after i ate them, bob and wayne izumi crawled out of the forest dressed as batman and robin and started catching great white sharks in my favorite steelie hole!!! tease.gif

LOL :lol:

Morels have a very high price on them per pound, wet... they are hghly sought after and amazng to eat from what I hear... I never knew about them until last years "Bumper Harvest" post. ATV-ing up north and I stumbled on a lot of them... picked them, turns out they were false morels... be sure what you are eating folks. Even honey mushrooms can cause temporary sickness.

Oh, and if anyone finds a red mushroom with white dots all over it, similar to the one from Super Mario, PM me. 1 UP!

well I did some more research on these and the ones that were given to me were the beefsteak morel. They say you should not eat this type. I talked to my chum who gave these to me and he said he had some yesterday morning in an omlette and no ill effects from them.

He said if you don't want them he would be happy to take them back. I think I will play it safe and do so. But I think I will go and hunt for some real morel in the mean time.

well I did some more research on these and the ones that were given to me were the beefsteak morel. They say you should not eat this type. I talked to my chum who gave these to me and he said he had some yesterday morning in an omlette and no ill effects from them.

He said if you don't want them he would be happy to take them back. I think I will play it safe and do so. But I think I will go and hunt for some real morel in the mean time.

Geez, who would name an inedible mushroom "beefsteak"? That's just mean.