installing a tow hitch

kickingfrog

So the plan is to get a gently used vehicle that will be used to haul our expanding family around and tow a boat. Where does someone get a hitch installed besides the dealer? It will be a 7 passenger suv.

I'm sure I've seen it discussed here previously, but I couldn't find it in my searches.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup_anim:

I hear U-haul does it. In Sudbury there's a place called Larry's Service Centre that works on trailers and tow vehicles only...maybe where you are there's a similar outfit. I'd try the local yellow pages under "trailers".

My dad had it done at CTC, but he bought the hitch there...probably whoever sells you the hitch can do it or at least point you in the right direction.

I'd get one that is removable...it'll save you banging your shins into it when you don't need it. Take it off and lock it up inside the truck when it's not in use...otherwise it might go missing.

So the plan is to get a gently used vehicle that will be used to haul our expanding family around and tow a boat. Where does someone get a hitch installed besides the dealer? It will be a 7 passenger suv.

I'm sure I've seen it discussed here previously, but I couldn't find it in my searches.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup_anim:

Hitch factory on the mountain in hamilton. They do the installs for lots of dealers. I just went direct to them and they were half the price for a Class 3 hitch.

Thanks guys. U-haul rings a bell. Thanks for the pm Brian, I will shop around.

Any RV dealer should be able to set you up. Avoid "universal" hitches if you can.

I wouldn't go to U-Haul for the same reason I wouldn't go to Jiffy Lube.

I've heard the u-haul hitches are made by curt, who in turn makes some of the nicest setups. I have a curt on my forester and am very happy with it.

The install is super easy as others have mentioned. Check out etrailer dot com for pricing and some really good video tutorials.