24 year streak finally broken

Fang

With the very unusual spring my usual tradition for trout opener was in serious jeopardy. Since 1988 I've spent each trout opener on a small " brookie" type stream that gets a run of steelhead. Some years the pickings are slim with low water and the run being over but this year was the worst. I was walking this stream back in Feb and saw tons of spawned out fish and earlier last week another walk in the forest showed the river extremely low and no sign of any trout hanging around. I was hoping that a few might have got caught in some pools as the water dropped but didn't look like there was anything.

So a new plan was hatched this week and Saturday afternoon I headed down to Erie to hook up with a buddy and get out for some perch fishing. Nice having a dry comfy ride on the big lake now

DSCF0067.jpg

Powered out to 50 ft of water and saw a few other boats scattered around - no big cluster and lots of room between boats - nice.

Took about 10 minutes of powering around to waypoint 2-3 nice looking schools. The wind was out of the west and was just a bout right to provide a controlled drift over the schools. Simple drop shot rig with live minnows and the fist first was in the boat in less than 2 minutes.

Weeded through the tap-tap-tap bites and tried not to set the hook on any of the small hits. Ended up with a nice bunch of 12-13" to take home and have a feast, I guess a satisfying consolation instead of my trout opener tradition.

A few 13's and the bottom one a fat 14 3/4"

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

This morning's feast

DSCF0076.jpg

Dems is fatties! I like beans but what's this obsession with them. They're on almost every plate in the reports! Y'know, if you had longer hair, you'd be a dead ringer for Wolfman Jack. :D Thanks for sharing.

They were CDN residents. We only had a couple of hours so no long distance trip across to Sturgeon Pt area. From where we launched we just had it up on plane for 2-3 minutes and then shut her down again. Hardly got the motor warmed up when the graph was showing some good schools out 50 FOW. I'd love to hit that area on the south shore next trip though.

and yes Mongo likes candygram!

They were CDN residents. We only had a couple of hours so no long distance trip across to Sturgeon Pt area. From where we launched we just had it up on plane for 2-3 minutes and then shut her down again. Hardly got the motor warmed up when the graph was showing some good schools out 50 FOW. I'd love to hit that area on the south shore next trip though.

and yes Mongo likes candygram!

Hey, as long as your catching them on your side why cross all the way over to NYS waters.....I actually go out of the Catt....Sturgeon Point was closed for launching as they dredge out the harbor entrance...."might" be done by now.....we did make on trip out of Sturgeon Point before they closed it off....did fairly well, but not where all the boats were that day...hardly any fish in that spot that day...but we finally found them well away from the pack.

BTW nice boat....Brian made me say that....LOL

That is a sweet boat but it's my buddies. He picked it up from the US last fall and has it running like a charm now. I still have my lady (crestliner) and she's headed for the first test run this week John. Will be out very soon for salmon and trout. My smoker is started to feel neglected