OFAH lottery...never got the tickets?

fisher

The OFAH would like to provide the following clarifications:

The OFAH compensated 99 persons over the course of 2010; the $2.3 million payroll covered all salaries, benefits and mandatory employment expenses (e.g. CPP, EI, WSIB, EHT, etc.) related to those employment opportunities.

The OFAH Conservation Centre and the OFAH|Mario Cortellucci Hunting & Fishing Heritage Centre were built on land donated by an OFAH member near the banks of the Otonabee River. Each building was entirely financed using funds donated expressly for that purpose. No membership fees were used in the construction of these facilities.

The OFAH Conservation Lottery is the largest fundraiser for the Federation, with all proceeds (net of the fundraising costs) directed to approved fish and wildlife programs in current and future years. We are required, under the terms of our provincial lottery licence, to ensure that, over time, no net proceeds are left unspent. Members are welcome to opt out of selling lottery tickets by contacting our office, and all members are entitled to request complete audited financial statements by calling us at 705-748-6324.

The 2011 OFAH Annual Report is a public document that is available at www.ofah.org/report.

Additional questions may be directed to [email protected]

So, I reviewed the 88 page report as Chris suggested but cannot locate anything about the profit/loss of the Lottery specifically. The only thing I do see is the net fundraising for 2011 was $136,254 on the financial statements (but this appears to be for all fundrasing activities). A breakdown of each fundrasing event would be more telling. The report does also say 413,000 tickets were sold but, again, no breakdown of the expenses.

Also, if you are raising close to $800,000 in ticket sales for the Lottery (I believe it is $2 each ticket), how can the net fundraising amount only be $136,254 for ALL fundraising activities (and there are a few of them)?

I'd be curious for the actual numbers.

I was hoping the OFAH would clarify.

That statement doesn't say much of anything. It just points everyone back to the annual report.

Then I guess that those of us who are members can get the financial statements and take it from there.

I must say that I find it a little disheartening that the strongest/only voice that Ontario outdoors people have is being attacked by the very people who could be working with them to make things better. But hey, that's just my opinion.

With all due respect Roy questions are not attacks.

The question of what the actual numbers of the lottery are could be easily answered here.

I didn't see anything wrong with Fisher asking for some clarification nor did I see anything wrong with people chiming in with their interest in hearing an answer.

The non answer is raising questions. I plan on phoning the number and seeing what I get but I am not very optimistic because the OFAH seems evasive.

Grimace, I understand your point completely and my choice of words was probably not the best. What I'm saying is, financial statements are available to members and it would most likely be in the best interest of outdoors people to try to work with the federation not against. I'll stay out of this, I just thought another opinion wouldn't hurt. :)

Grimace, I understand your point completely and my choice of words was probably not the best. What I'm saying is, financial statements are available to members and it would most likely be in the best interest of outdoors people to try to work with the federation not against. I'll stay out of this, I just thought another opinion wouldn't hurt. :)

Knowing how to read a P & L would probably help some folks as well Roy! :whistling:

I totally get what your saying as well Roy.

This whole subject has perked my ears up a bit that's all. I have been a happy member for years and have no interest in any crusade against the OFAH (as you undoubtedly have no interest in hosting such an event) I was just hoping for a bit more of a satisfying answer. Looks like I will have to get it the hard way.

Knowing how to read a P & L would probably help some folks as well Roy! :whistling:

I'm not dumb, just busy lol :-). We have been pullIng 12's at work for over a month now. I was hoping the dude would just post the lottery info and end it. Checking on this site with the iPhone is easier than digging through pages of rubble trying to find the buried info in between lifts at work.

Like I said, this has piqued my interest now and I am going to request the lottery info if I ever get some time.

Edit: typo. Again....

Edited by Grimace

I'm not dumb, just busy lol :-). We have been pullIng 12's at work now for over a month now. I was hoping the dude would just post the lottery info and end it. Checking on this site with the iPhone is easier than digging through pages of rubble trying to find the buried info in between lifts at work.

Like I said, this has piqued my interest now and I am going to request the lottery info if I ever get some time.

Wasn't directed at you Dave.. or anyone in general. Most people can't read or understand a P & L Statement. I'd be interested to see how a lottery costs more money to put on than it brings in as well and be billed as their major fund raiser.

very nice to see the ofah comment i guess as usuall i will have to throw my 2 cents in ...he OFAH Conservation Lottery is the largest fundraiser for the Federation, with all proceeds (net of the fundraising costs) directed to approved fish and wildlife programs in current and future years the above in red is the question we asked, with a statement like that i could raise 1 millon dollars and it cost 999 999 and give the 1 dollar to the fish and wild life program and still be well within the law.. what is so hard to give us the numbers. I like a fool miss placed my papers i will request a new copy of the finacial statement from revenue canada on monday. And i am also sorry for making chris robbison drop his membership to this board as i now see he comes up as a GUEST

Edited by chessy

Wasn't directed at you Dave.. or anyone in general. Most people can't read or understand a P & L Statement. I'd be interested to see how a lottery costs more money to put on than it brings in as well and be billed as their major fund raiser.

hey irishfield.. the statment i had , had a nice little - in front of 16000 bucks. thefore it is a loss... the only numbers it gives is ticket sales and cost

As one of the few political voices we, as an outdoors persons, have it is in our best interest to get answers when there is a question as to how much money is, or isn't, generated to protect and enhance our outdoors.

Like it or lump it doesn't wash.

Profit and loss statements are often more about what isn't there... not what is.

If you are asked a question and don't answer it, people then start to wonder if something is amiss.

another miss qote from the ofahThe OFAH compensated 99 persons over the course of 2010; the $2.3 million payroll covered all salaries, benefits and mandatory employment expenses (e.g. CPP, EI, WSIB, EHT, etc.) related to those employment opportunities. The ofah supports 99 part time people for a total of 969,686 and it also supports 6 full time people $40,000 - $79,999 2 full time people at$80,000 - $119,999 1 full time person at $120,000 - $159,999 and 1 full time person at ....$160,000 - $199,999 so the 10 full time employees share 1.374 million

I've been an OFAH member for about 20 yrs.

I'm signed up for automatic yearly renewal.

Heck, the Ontario Out of Doors magazine subscription alone is worth the annual membership .

It also keeps me informed of what the OFAH is doing and some great articles and news items to be read.

Every time I get a book of tickets for the lottery, I put my name and membership # on the stubs and return with the $$$ for the tickets.

I don't even think about it. If I win something, great ! If I don't, I've done my bit to help.

They are working for US to improve all aspects of hunting and fishing in Ontario.

CHEERS !

I've been an OFAH member for about 20 yrs.

I'm signed up for automatic yearly renewal.

Heck, the Ontario Out of Doors magazine subscription alone is worth the annual membership .

It also keeps me informed of what the OFAH is doing and some great articles and news items to be read.

Every time I get a book of tickets for the lottery, I put my name and membership # on the stubs and return with the $$ for the tickets.

I don't even think about it. If I win something, great ! If I don't, I've done my bit to help.

They are working for US to improve all aspects of hunting and fishing in Ontario.

CHEERS !

Ditto.

The question that was asked and has so far gone unanswered is: Did the lottery lose money?

If this is the case, does it make financial sense to run a lottery that may lose money?

Should the money and resources used to run the lottery be redirected to more effectively benefit our outdoors?

These are not difficult questions.

This a volunteer program no one is forced to contribute money... correct. So this volunteer program is giving from what I read a powerful voice in the management of the resources in Canada. Why are the people that are not contributing anything to the foundation trying to rip them and if you are just cancel your unhappy membership? You are getting the benefit of what they do to improve the sportsman and environment in Canada and not paying a dime. If you want better than what they are doing be the solution before you tear into the best answer you got right now. This is an outsiders opinion but it looks like a few people would rather cut their noses off despite their face. :wallbash:

Art

This a volunteer program no one is forced to contribute money... correct. So this volunteer program is giving from what I read a powerful voice in the management of the resources in Canada. Why are the people that are not contributing anything to the foundation trying to rip them and if you are just cancel your unhappy membership? You are getting the benefit of what they do to improve the sportsman and environment in Canada and not paying a dime. If you want better than what they are doing be the solution before you tear into the best answer you got right now. This is an outsiders opinion but it looks like a few people would rather cut their noses off despite their face. :wallbash:

Art

No, the question is where is OUR money going??

I have no issue paying for tickets and membership fees, but if the fundraiser is not making money, whats the point??

The money they spend on this "fundraiser" could be better spent on our resources, no?

S.