trailer towing question

spud7378

Thinking about buying a new trailer, 1 have a 2006 f 150 it says its good for 7000lbs, the trailer im looking at is 9000lbs its a fifth wheel trailer, the tounge weight is 1300lbs my truck is good for 3000lbs. so my question is, some people say no it wont do it, others say its ok, and others say your not towing it far and maybe a few times a year its ok, so im confused

any help please!

kevin

Thinking about buying a new trailer, 1 have a 2006 f 150 it says its good for 7000lbs, the trailer im looking at is 9000lbs its a fifth wheel trailer, the tounge weight is 1300lbs my truck is good for 3000lbs. so my question is, some people say no it wont do it, others say its ok, and others say your not towing it far and maybe a few times a year its ok, so im confused

any help please!

kevin

I have to ask, where are you getting the 3000lb capacity from. I would think a reasonable payload for a 1/2 ton is way under that. Your trailer pin weight is usually calculated as dry weight with absolutely no stuff in the trailer, like water, propane, batteries, clothes, food, etc. Add that in and I think you will have a struggle at best. You already know it's listed for 7K lbs, no 9K lbs.

Now now Paul.. it won't do that. I pulled 18,000 lbs with my Sierra 1500, axle sitting on the stop rubbers. Collingwood to Penetang x 3 trips. I didn't make a 4th trip after cooking the brakes on a hill..... :w00t::D

Edited by irishfield

Now now Paul.. it won't do that. I pulled 18,000 lbs with my Sierra 1500, axle sitting on the stop rubbers. Collingwood to Penetang x 3 trips. I didn't make a 4th trip after cooking the brakes on a hill..... :w00t::D

Wayne,I would give that a try in a 2010 and up Ferd.But any thing earlier might get you to the end of the drive.

would`t even get it going.rip the diff right out of it at that weight.

Ford hater. :jerry: :jerry: :jerry:

I have pulled my fair share,and it,s "STILL GOING STRONG". BUILT TOUGH,BUILT ON A WEDNESDAY

Edited by Misfish

If the trailer is 9000 lbs you can figure about 1500 more for gear and anything that has Been added to the trailer including propane then there is any extra passengers. I had a older f150 pulling 5500 pounds it was under the legal amount the truck could pull but didn't feel like it was that safe have since upgraded to the f250. Your over loaded and that makes it unsafe will also take years off your truck

NO is a pretty simple answer 2000lbs over the weight of towing isn't just a little you will needa 250/2500 series truck with a diesel engine as thee preferred powerlpant also will need yellow sticker certification on your vehicle and trailer and One thing I do know is it wound be validating that f150, no 1/2 ton is designed for that kind of pulling or stopping even with trailer brakes

NO is a pretty simple answer 2000lbs over the weight of towing isn't just a little you will needa 250/2500 series truck with a diesel engine as thee preferred powerlpant also will need yellow sticker certification on your vehicle and trailer and One thing I do know is it wound be validating that f150, no 1/2 ton is designed for that kind of pulling or stopping even with trailer brakes

Plus 1.

Best Answer

also will need yellow sticker certification on your vehicle and trailer

Not necessarily.

If it's a camping trailer then no certification stickers required. Some how the RV industry have got an exemption to the certification requirements.

A boat, horse or utility trailer that size requires yearly certification of both trailer & tow vehicle.

Not necessarily.

If it's a camping trailer then no certification stickers required. Some how the RV industry have got an exemption to the certification requirements.

A boat, horse or utility trailer that size requires yearly certification of both trailer & tow vehicle.

Ya, I think you're right about that, as long as you don't eat to many hot dogs on friday night while holding a beer in your left hand. Those rules are just a marvellous cluster. Best I can figure out for my truck, I still come in around 4300kg with the trailer hooked up, so I'm under the 4500kg for the truck and I know the trailer is under the max 2800 kg anyway.

The comercial yellow annual sticker is required on vehicles with a gvwr of 4600kgs or greater(10000lbs) and you are right that RV's are exempt...however....this is a very stupid, not well thought out, regulation. I drive a f-350 dually with a gvwr close to 6000kgs, no doubt about it, it requires an annual inspection, but once my rv is hooked up I add 14000lbs to the equation but am considered an rv, therefore exempt! duh. I have friends who have been charged in their dually for not having a yellow sticker on their veh while disconnected from their rv. They thought because they are sometimes connected to an rv they are exempt all the time...not the case.

To the OP, pin wieght on 5ers is generally close to 20% of the total trlr weight and not usually what the manufacturer says it is. On 9000lbs I would wager that your pin weight would be closer to 1800lbs....don't know of any half ton p/u that can carry that within the gvwr. If you want to try it or not is completely up to you, but I can guarantee you one thing from experience....buying to much trailer for your truck because the salesman or someone on the internet told you that you would be fine completely takes any of the fun out of rv'ing because of the white knuckle, hair raising trip to and from the campground. Your gvwr is stamped on your drivers door...go weigh your truck at a scale with passengers and a full tank of fuel...subtract your actual weight from the gvwr and that is how much tongue/pin weight you can carry....you may be able to PULL 7000lbs according to the manufacturer, but that doesn't mean you can CARRY that much.

Good Luck

Wow......a 2006 Ford 150 that's not broken down....you're already ahead of the game.... :rofl2:

You got a lot of good advice already....pushing the envelope a little while towing a short distance is one thing....but you're just plain busting out of it with this idea...

Hopefully you'll find a smaller trailer and it will fit for you.

Bob